Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D I have this posted on another webb sight and nobody much cared about it. So I thought I would post it just for the heck of it and see if maybe some of the older reloaders might chime in.[:eek:)]
Cost of Cartridges.
I don't buy new shells. I buy once fired at [email protected],000rds. That was figured in the above figures. I use brass until it splits or I lose it and at some point it cost you nothing. So here’s the figure without the brass.
One round=$.07, 50rds=$3.56, and a 1,000=$71.25.
This was based on a .45cal load using an 185gr lswc and 5.3grs of powder plus Winchester LP primers and range brass.

Is everybody's cost about the same[?][^][?]

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Thanks for the link Baldy.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hey Baldy, I know this is abit off topic, but I know as you have stated you use the SDB press. How is it to change primer sizes, I have heard its a little tough. I am in the market for a Dillon just havent decide what yet. Thanks

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your getting some bad information Aszor. If your talking about changing from small primers to large primers. There is four screws to take out and swap the tubes. The primer feed arm has to be changed. You have a small setting screw that you have to adjust but it's no big deal. The tip of the feed tube is a slip on plastic part that wears out and has to be replaced once in awhile. It has to be straight. If it is bent back it will cause a feed problem. Just take your time and you will do just fine. I am more or less self taught. After you get into it you will wonder why did I wait so long. Good luck. Holler if you need help.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I used 18.99 for the bullseye( 4.3 grs w/ 200 gr swc)
" " 20.00 " " primers

0 for the brass (range)
0 for the bullets (my cast)

cost per rd $.032
" " 50 $1.58
" " 1000 $31.67

pete

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep! Txpete I was going to mention that about making your own bullets saves even more. Doctor doesn't want me to because I have bad lungs. That's what 50 years of smoking did to me. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man a live that's some fine looking stuff to work with. I just got into reloading last March. I just never had the time when I was pushing them rigs up and down the road. I wish I would have done it 40yrs ago. I have bought enought Winchester ammo to pay for their plant. Well good luck with your set up there Pete.

·
Registered
268 Posts
just a couple of pics.
the magma master caster has been going strong since 94.I couldn't even guess how many bullet I have made with this one.

moulds and my stash of bullets.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Pete, when are you sending out samples? :D

·
Registered
557 Posts
quote:Originally posted by txpete

spring:D
I'll go wait on the porch for the UPS truck. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts