Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just purchased a Security 9 compact and took it to the range. BTW, I loved it! Felt great, shot great, easy to carry. I'll say more after my question for those that are interested.

I'm fairly new to reloading. My EDC for the last six months is a CZ P-07, for those not familiar pretty close to Glock 19 in size. I like it a lot but it is harder to conceal than smaller pistols. I've got an amazing appendix carry holster and I do alright. So I wanted something smaller and liked what I saw in the Security 9 Compact.

I shot some 115 grain cheap White box (which according to a few on the internet has caused some problem with this pistol). I only shot 20 rounds of this and it was flawless. But with my reloads I had some issues. Not stovepipe, it would chamber a round and it looked like it jammed up with the following round coming up to load as well.

When I reloaded for the P-07 I was having all kinds of problems. Some guys on here taught me to do the PLUNK Test and so I did and ended up with a reduced OAL. The load data I had for the 25 grain lead RN in the reload manual had an OAL of 1.125 and with the PLUNK test I reduced it down to 1.0955. I also loaded at MINIMUM charge because this made me nervous.

SO...... My guess is that the reduced OAL is causing the problem in the Ruger. THOUGHTS PLEASE?

If this pistol becomes reliable then I'm in love with it. The reviews online whined about some things. Reviews would all go something like "it was surprising how well this gun feels and shoots for such a low price". I'm not a gun reviewer but I have shot many semi autos and in my experience I put it up with any of them!

·
Registered
628 Posts
I shot some 115 grain cheap White box (which according to a few on the internet has caused some problem with this pistol). I only shot 20 rounds of this and it was flawless. But with my reloads I had some issues. Not stovepipe, it would chamber a round and it looked like it jammed up with the following round coming up to load as well.

When I reloaded for the P-07 I was having all kinds of problems. Some guys on here taught me to do the PLUNK Test and so I did and ended up with a reduced OAL. The load data I had for the 25 grain lead RN in the reload manual had an OAL of 1.125 and with the PLUNK test I reduced it down to 1.0955. I also loaded at MINIMUM charge because this made me nervous.

SO...... My guess is that the reduced OAL is causing the problem in the Ruger. THOUGHTS PLEASE?
If you shot 20 rounds of factory ammo and it worked 100% I would say it defiantly is your reloaded ammo causing the problem. Are you sure you are loading 25 grain bullets? Doesn't sound right.

Ok you know how to do the plunk test and you did it for your CZ and everything worked ok. A lot of the CZ's have short chambers so your OAL for it might not work for your Security 9. What you need to do is, do the plunk test for your Security 9 and see what OAL works for it with the bullet you are loading. I think you should be good to go once you get the correct OAL figured out. Make sure you are removing all of the flare on the case after the bullet is seated.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you shot 20 rounds of factory ammo and it worked 100% I would say it defiantly is your reloaded ammo causing the problem. Are you sure you are loading 25 grain bullets? Doesn't sound right.

Ok you know how to do the plunk test and you did it for your CZ and everything worked ok. A lot of the CZ's have short chambers so your OAL for it might not work for your Security 9. What you need to do is, do the plunk test for your Security 9 and see what OAL works for it with the bullet you are loading. I think you should be good to go once you get the correct OAL figured out. Make sure you are removing all of the flare on the case after the bullet is seated.
Haha. Yes meant 125 Gr. And I'm sure of that. Coated lead RN from Acme. I'm about to load now and will be doing the Plunk test. Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Also there might not be enough energy in your minimum powder charge to cycle the slide. If your powder doesn't have a narrow range of powder weights try an upper middle charge. Make ten, and try them. What works in my daughter's PX4 won't load in my 92S.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I just loaded 50 rounds at reload data OAL. And bumped the charge to the middle rather than at minimum. I plunked and twisted just fine. I can't get to the range until late next week but I'm feeling pretty good about it. But now I'm annoyed with my CZ that I can't apparently load for both guns. Because the standard OAL won't plunk in the CZ and I'm having issues with the "CZ load" in my Ruger. But I digress.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts