Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of a minor issue I guess, but how do I loosen the tension on the loading gate on my NM Blackhawk. This is the 357 I bought a few months ago.

The loading gate is hard to open, to the point where it's irritating.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mine was stiff also but I applied lube and worked the gate open and closed many many times to the point of smooth operation now.Or call Ruger as I am told they have excellent customer service.I will know of that fact first hand soon as I sadly have to send my new favorite gun my Vaquero .44 mag bird's head back for many flaws in the finish.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Ditto. You want that spring to be fairly tight so the gate doesn't flop open. Work it back and forth a LOT and work the grit off it. A very slight polishing of the spring tip may help. If you care to try, get a replacement spring and see if it is better, or try shortening the replacement spring engagement tip just a hair's worth (but make sure you maintain the original spring to put it back together if you take too much off).

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
If lubing doesn't loosen the tension on the gate to your satisfaction, and I don't expect it will, you can stone the spring tip shorter and polish the tip.

You need not take the gun all apart. Remove the cyl and pop the spring tip forward off of the loading gate with gate closed, carefully with something pointy. Tape the loading gate to avoid hitting it with the stone. Then pop the spring tip back in and try it. When you get it to your liking, polish the tip with fine crocus cloth and lube it.

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts