Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Ruger New Vaquero .44 Mag
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey group, I'm pretty new to reloading with only a couple hundred rounds under my belt. I've been loading up some .44 mag with 240 gr XTPs over 23 grains of H110/296. I recently ordered some .44 special starline brass and found some 200 gr XTPs locally. I think they'll perform better out of the .44 special cases, but I'd also like to try them in the .44 mag with the H110 powder. I have a pound of Titegroup that I would like to use for the 44 special. Primers I have on hand are Federal 150s and CCI 350 magnums. I have had good results with the Federal 150s under H110 so far. Gun is a Ruger New Vaquero in .44 mag.

TL;DR version
Loads for 200 gr XTPs in .44 mag and .44 special
Powders on hand for the loads: H110/296 and Titegroup. CFE is also a possibility.
Primers I have are CCI 350s and Federal 150s
Gun is a Ruger New Vaquero in .44 mag
Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
In 44 magnum I like Hornadys recipes. I also follow Hodgdons recommendations. You can access Hodgdons on thier web site.

Reactions: Bob Lewis and Tacky

·
Registered
116 Posts
Welcome Evan!

- Why do you think that the 200s will work better out of .44 Spl cases?

- Are you asking for load data? There are better sources than random people you don‘t know.

- What reloading manuals do you have?

- Are you wanting full power loads, target loads, SD loads?

- If CFE is possible, what else might you have?

Here is Hodgdon data for the .44 Magnum:

Font Screenshot Electronic device Technology Number

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In 44 magnum I like Hornadys recipes. I also follow Hodgdons recommendations. You can access Hodgdon's on their website.
I looked through a Hornady manual and for the 200 gr got a powder range for H110/296 of 25.8-28.7, which compared to Hodgdon's data gives quite a wide range. That makes me a little nervous due to the nature of that powder.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I looked through a Hornady manual and for the 200 gr got a powder range for H110/296 of 25.8-28.7, which compared to Hodgdon's data gives quite a wide range. That makes me a little nervous due to the nature of that powder.
If you're not using the same bullet you need to compare seating depth. If one load has a deeper seat it will call for less powder. If you're using a Hornady bullet use the Hornady recipe.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome Evan!

- Why do you think that the 200s will work better out of .44 Spl cases?

- Are you asking for load data? There are better sources than random people you don‘t know.

- What reloading manuals do you have?

- Are you wanting full power loads, target loads, SD loads?

- If CFE is possible, what else might you have?

Here is Hodgdon data for the .44 Magnum:

View attachment 160762

Thanks for the welcome!
I've heard that 240 gr is that start for accuracy in .44 mag, but have seen a lot of .44 special loads pushing 200gr.
I am asking for load data because I have received conflicting data from published sources and cannot find a load for the .44 special with the powder/bullet combo I would like to use.
I have a Lee manual and an older Hodgdon manual, I also reference Hodgon's website and have consulted a Hornady book.
I'd like to use full power loads in the .44 mag with the 200 gr bullets, .44 special full power or plinking.
I have CFE, Titegroup, and H110 on hand.
Thank you.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Thanks for the welcome!
I've heard that 240 gr is that start for accuracy in .44 mag, but have seen a lot of .44 special loads pushing 200gr.
I am asking for load data because I have received conflicting data from published sources and cannot find a load for the .44 special with the powder/bullet combo I would like to use.
I have a Lee manual and an older Hodgdon manual, I also reference Hodgon's website and have consulted a Hornady book.
I'd like to use full power loads in the .44 mag with the 200 gr bullets, .44 special full power or plinking.
I have CFE, Titegroup, and H110 on hand.
Thank you.
Don't assume all bullets of the same weight use the same volume of powder. Especially at magnum pressures.
Hodgdon's load for 240 JHP is a Nosler bullets and of course Hornady is their bullet.

Reactions: Wheelguns

·
"The Real Deal"
8,810 Posts
In 44 magnum I like Hornadys recipes. I also follow Hodgdons recommendations. You can access Hodgdons on thier web site.
Same, use hornady, and speer data.

I use the lowest charge listed for 44 magnum with a 240 xtp or speer gdhp. No sense in beating up my 29 smith, or me for that matter. If i need more power i get a bigger pistol or rifle.

Think my 44 spcl loads are with w231 very mild, but i shoot more mags than spcls.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you're not using the same bullet you need to compare seating depth. If one load has a deeper seat it will call for less powder. If you're using a Hornady bullet use the Hornady recipe.
Should the high range for the powder be cause for concern or should I be under the assumption that if it is published data it is good?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't assume all bullets of the same weight use the same volume of powder. Especially at magnum pressures.
Hodgdon's load for 240 JHP is a Nosler bullets and of course Hornady is their bullet.
But with the same weight and similar design, I should be able to start at the minimum load and work my way up?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Same, use hornady, and speer data.

I use the lowest charge listed for 44 magnum with a 240 xtp or speer gdhp. No sense in beating up my 29 smith, or me for that matter. If i need more power i get a bigger pistol or rifle.

Think my 44 spcl loads are with w231 very mild, but i shoot more mags than spcls.
Are gold dots close enough to XTPs to use the same start loads for each bullet? I need to scrounge up some more powders and bullets, but the going is rough for components.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,810 Posts
I'd like to get a nice double-action .44 spc for carry one day, so it's nice to have the brass around.
You can always use the 44 mag cases trimmed down to 44 special when the mouth splits too, just remember not to load them to 44 mag specs, have done that in that past. So you can get a few more bangs out of them.

Always start out low and work up, no matter which cartridge your loading. Checking for pressure signs, primer crater, and other stress signs. Alot of times i have seen the groups get tight, loose, tighter, looser, tighter when working up the loads in several firearms. The max listing is safe just don't go beyond it.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,810 Posts
Are gold dots close enough to XTPs to use the same start loads for each bullet? I need to scrounge up some more powders and bullets, but the going is rough for components.
Pretty close the difference is bullet design. The gold dot is a bonded bullet good for deep penetration. Alot of LEO us it in their carry guns, its a good hunting bullet too. The xtp i believe expands more rapidly than a gold dot, but both are great defensive choices.

For plinking i use a 240 grain extreme flat point, cheaper for range practice.

Reactions: rmichael63
1 - 20 of 50 Posts