Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a good load for my Blackhawk Bisley. I am using Hornady 250gr. jacketed projectiles. I usually go by the Hornady loading manual. Looks like Alliant 2400 is what I will be using for the "Ruger Loads". Let me know what you guys think and what is a good load to shoot out of this gun. I am open to other options for powder or projectiles as well. Thanks guys.

·
Banned
402 Posts
Hope you get the right info on this, Some 45 colt loads should not go beyond tier 2
in some firearms. I know there are folks here that know for sure. Or perhaps you do already. Keep in mind what works for others may not be the best for you, A starting point yes if checked first in your loading manual, but you should work up your own loads.
Just want you to be safe, not telling you what to do.

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
One load that I have had good luck with lately is a 250-255 grain lead bullet with 9.0/Herco. About 850 FPS, and very accurate.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I shoot mostly .45 Colt, but I sure don't have any personal load data for Jacketed bullets. Sorry about that! Just might have to work up your own :) ... which is fun in it self! Unique and 2400 though never fail to please :) .

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't know if this will help or not. I have a Rugar New Model Black Hawk single Action in .45 LC. I reload ammo for it and I used Winchester 231 last time I reloaded ammo. I also have a Rossi Ranch Hand that is also in .45 LC. I use the same ammo in both of them. I use 250 grain lead cast bullets from Dillion. I use a load of 6.2 grains of 231 with the 250 grain bullet. This is about the middle to low end of the charge. I've had good luck with the loads. I only shoot paper or metal silhouettes when I shoot. I have great groups at 11 and 15 yards. But further out I have to do some adjustments to get good groups. The farthest I shoot is 100 meters. My Black Hawk has a 7.5 inch barrel. and the Rossi Ranch Hand has a 12 inch on. It too does great at 15 and 25 yards but it can do good groups at longer ranges but it is harder to do. Put of which is do to the front sight not being tall enough. But it too does shoot great with this load. I hope this helps some.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have used 4227 and Unique to push a 250 grain XTP. The Unique burns cleaner but I prefer the 4227. It just feels better for some reason?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts