Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from my local Gander Mountain. I only went for curiosity, and I checked all the ammo racks really close.

They had a near normal stock of everything except: no .223; no cheap 9mm, had lots of the $1+ per round SD ammo; and no .22 at all except birdshot. ??????????

I can understand no .223, but no .22? That is really hard to understand.

I'm in good shape, so I didn't buy anything. FWIW, their handgun displays were closer to normal. I actually saw a SP-101 in .22, and some SR-9s and 22s. No SR-1911s, or centerfire LCRs, though. Had several LCR-22s. None of the new handguns.

I went by Sportsman's Warehouse Thursday evening, and they were virtually wiped out. All they had in handgun ammo was .40 and .45LC, and their rifle ammo shelves had a lot of gaps. They are a smaller chain, with past financial troubles, so I don't expect them to do as well.

·
Banned
698 Posts
Thinking everyone's kicked it up a notch in manufacturing and ordering more than normal knowing its likely not to stay on shelves long and if it doesn't sell right away between the record sales the just went thru and the new fiscal quarter most are willing to upfront the cost and order higher levels of product.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Thanks bearcatter. Last weekend GM was bare on everything. Like you i am ok and dont really need anything.

DR

·
Registered
18 Posts
Walmart by me had 7.62x.39 back in stock today and were 20 cents higher than before they sold out. This after the sporting goods manager told me on two occasions they wouldn't be restocking until "things cooled down". I'm hoping .22lr bulk packs are soon coming.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No 22lr to be had here in Utah. I reload my own centerfire and cast my bullets but the majority of my shooting is with a 22. I am wishing I would have stocked up :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Was at my local Gander's this morning at 8:15a (open at 9am). 20 people already in front of me. Once inside, not a single round of .22LR on the shelf. 9mm rounds were BEHIND the counter, 2 box limit.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
My brother promised to stop by the Gander Mtn in MN tomorrow and send me a picture.

When he told me he hadn't been there in over a month, I warned him that they may have significantly fewer guns and ammo than he thinks.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was in Sportsman's Warehouse this morning, still picked clean except for some .40, .45GAP, and a few boxes of .17.

They did have a sizable stack of HPR brand .38 and .357. It was $38 a box, probably why it wasn't grabbed (yet). I've never heard of HPR. U.S. made, claimed as match quality. For that price, it better be.

Another browser saved me a trip to Gander. He had been there looking for .22, found none, so was in Sportsman's.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Anytime I'm in a store that has gun stuff, I walk buy on their stock purely from curiosity sake. I'm also set on ammo for the time being, granted I'm not headed to the range every week anymore though like I was a year ago.

I haven't seen any improvement in my normal spots. Every once and a while I'll see a few boxes for PPU brand handgun ammo but it's never there long.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Here is info I got yesterday

UPDATE FROM A FEW MANUFACTURERS IN THE FIREARMS INDUSTRY:Smith & Wesson-is running at Full capacity making 300+ guns/day-mainly M&P pistols. They are unable to produce any more guns to help with the shortages. RUGER: Plans to increase from 75% to 100% in the next 90 days. FNH: Moving from 50% production to 75% by Feb 1st and 100% by March 1. Remington-Maxed out! Armalite: Maxed out. DPMS: Can't ge...t enough parts to produce any more product. COLT: Production runs increasing weekly...bottle necked by Bolt carrier's. LWRC:Making only black guns, running at full capacity...can't get enough gun quality steel to make barrels. Springfield Armory: Only company who can meet demand but are running 30-45 days behind. AMMO: Every caliber is now Allocated! We are looking at a nation-wide shortage of all calibers over the next 9 months. All plants are producing as much ammo as possible w/ of 1 BILLION rnds produced weekly. Most is military followed by L.E. and civilians are third in line. MAGPUL is behind 1 MILLION mags; do not expect any large quantities of magpul anytime soon. RELOADERS!!!! ALL Remington, Winchester, CCI & Federal primers are going to ammo FIRST. There are no extra's for reloading purposes....it could be 6-9 months b/f things get caught up. Sorry for the bleak news, but now we know what to expect in the coming months.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We have a waiting room at the bus terminal with CNN Headline News playing all day. I get an occaisional glance going into our break room.

Yesterday about 4:40 PM they had a short report on the ammunition demand and shortages nationwide. Showed the front of a Wally World and a Cabela's, ammo boxes on store shelves, and lots of cartridges in what appeared to be factory conveyors. A few shots of people shooting at a range.

It took CNN that long to notice and do a report?

Shows how in tune to reality the MSM is.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Two Gander Mountain locations near me had zero .22 long a smattering of .22 short - and one had a dozen large ammo cans of .17 HMR.

Lots of boxes of 12 guage shotgun and s fair amount of 30.06.

One of my local Wal-Marts had a coupel boxes each of 380 and 45 and some 12 guage and couldn't quite see the rest - haven't been to the other Wal-Mart yet that has a larger case where it is easier to see what is in there - but even in November all they had was maybe one or two boxes of any given type.

At the moment I think I am good for about 6 to 8 months of at least monthly trips to the range - might start getting worried towards the end of the year if the situation does not improve.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My local GM was bare on pistol ammo except for some overpriced Blazer and Winchester white boxes (nothing wrong with the ammo except for the price). I was told that a gentleman was there this morning and bought out that morning's shippment of .22lr to a tune of $1700.00.

Man, that's crazy talk...

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
And... It's gone.

My local GM was bare on pistol ammo except for some overpriced Blazer and Winchester white boxes (nothing wrong with the ammo except for the price). I was told that a gentleman was there this morning and bought out that morning's shippment of .22lr to a tune of $1700.00.

Man, that's crazy talk...

what is that something like 70 boxes? that's why there is a shortage - if that guy had bought say just 10 boxes - then 6 other people could each buy 10 boxes - or 12 other people could buy 5 boxes each.

not that I am suggesting there is any correct number or that an individual is not within their rights to purchase whatever retail products they can afford - but it would seem a better stock up strategy to buy half a dozen boxes every few weeks - especially if you are buying with a credit card and cannot pay off then entire balance each month - then you end up paying interest and ain't nobody got time for dat.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Holymoley.....what sad news.....guess I'll have to take up another sport for a while :(

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was able to pick up a couple of 525 bricks of Remington Golden .22 HPs for$21.99 each and a 375 box of CCI Mini-Mag "Choot Em" .22 HPs for $27.95 at Dick's Sporting Goods and a couple of boxes of PMC Bronze 9mm at a LGS for $17.99 each today.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts