Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know there are some things that we love that we just can't get outside of our areas.

For example, scrapple doesn't exist outside of Pennsylvania. (That's OK for me, though, I was never really on board the scrapple band-wagon...)

For us here in Jersey, it's Taylor Ham. I remember when I found out that you can't get Taylor Ham further west than Philadelphia. That was a sad day indeed.:(

So guys and gals, what's your regional favorite?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Being so close to the border here in San Diego, it would of course be Mexican food. Unlimited supply and varieties. Everything else is in second place:D

·
Registered
251 Posts
Living here in Oregon, not only are we blessed with fresh seafood but in the spring and summer a treasure trove of fruits and vegetables...good growing conditions thanks to the fertile, rich volcanic soils and mild climate.

There is nothing better for my family and I then to feast on a same day caught salmon and freshly made blueberry crisp for dessert from local picked blueberries!

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
In Cincinnati (my old hometown), there's Skyline Chili or Gold Star Chili.

Atlanta is known for The Varsity (choke and puke). Having thrown The Varsity out there, Atlanta--in general--has much better places to eat than any other city in the nation. You can literally eat any type of food here from Southern dishes, to fresh seafood, to fine cuisine.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
I am a great fan of Scrapple and I live in NJ. I also like spam and biscuits with sausage gravy and creamed chip beef but have never served in the military or lived in the south.

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
potato sausage

WHAT is a potato sausage? It sounds very excellent.
Good beef or venison sausage, but instead of using greasy pork for a filler/binder, you mix in seasoned fine grated or mashed potatos. Great stuff !!:D

·
Registered
722 Posts
Here in AZ we have some of the best Mexican food at small mom and pop places. And here it's made by real Mexicans!

My mom is from Nebraska so when I visit her it's "cheese frenchies" which are basically deep fried cheese sandwiches that I haven't seen anywhere else, and a fast food chain called Runza which doesn't exist out west. They're not super gourmet, but I can only get them once every couple years or so, which makes them awesome, LOL!

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I need a "cheese frenchie".
And potato sausage.
And some Santa-Maria style BBQ Tri-Tip.
And some blueberry crisp.
Sorry Mr. Winters, I'm still not on board with the scrapple. :D

I also miss the cheap, abundant Mexican food and Sushi from my time spent in Los Angeles. I can get both Mexican and Sushi pretty much anywhere, but I couldn't swing a dead cat in LA without hitting a great place.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Here's a recipe for Cheese Frenchees. They originated at a restaurant called King's that that I've only seen in Nebraska and Iowa. Little buggers rock and they're really easy to make at home.
Cheese Frenchee Recipe - Cheese.Food.com - 116213

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Super Moderator
21,405 Posts
Up in this country it's lobster, mister.

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 34 Posts