Ruger Forum banner

Local / Regional Favorites Foods

462 views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  West Texan 
#1 ·
We all know there are some things that we love that we just can't get outside of our areas.

For example, scrapple doesn't exist outside of Pennsylvania. (That's OK for me, though, I was never really on board the scrapple band-wagon...)

For us here in Jersey, it's Taylor Ham. I remember when I found out that you can't get Taylor Ham further west than Philadelphia. That was a sad day indeed.:(

So guys and gals, what's your regional favorite?

#4 ·
Living here in Oregon, not only are we blessed with fresh seafood but in the spring and summer a treasure trove of fruits and vegetables...good growing conditions thanks to the fertile, rich volcanic soils and mild climate.

There is nothing better for my family and I then to feast on a same day caught salmon and freshly made blueberry crisp for dessert from local picked blueberries!

#5 ·
In Cincinnati (my old hometown), there's Skyline Chili or Gold Star Chili.

Atlanta is known for The Varsity (choke and puke). Having thrown The Varsity out there, Atlanta--in general--has much better places to eat than any other city in the nation. You can literally eat any type of food here from Southern dishes, to fresh seafood, to fine cuisine.

#9 ·
WHAT is a potato sausage? It sounds very excellent.

#11 ·
Here in AZ we have some of the best Mexican food at small mom and pop places. And here it's made by real Mexicans!

My mom is from Nebraska so when I visit her it's "cheese frenchies" which are basically deep fried cheese sandwiches that I haven't seen anywhere else, and a fast food chain called Runza which doesn't exist out west. They're not super gourmet, but I can only get them once every couple years or so, which makes them awesome, LOL!

#12 ·
I think I need a "cheese frenchie".
And potato sausage.
And some Santa-Maria style BBQ Tri-Tip.
And some blueberry crisp.
Sorry Mr. Winters, I'm still not on board with the scrapple. :D

I also miss the cheap, abundant Mexican food and Sushi from my time spent in Los Angeles. I can get both Mexican and Sushi pretty much anywhere, but I couldn't swing a dead cat in LA without hitting a great place.

#16 ·
I don't know about "to die for", but after looking it up on wikipedia, I just might kill for one...

#15 ·
Here's a recipe for Cheese Frenchees. They originated at a restaurant called King's that that I've only seen in Nebraska and Iowa. Little buggers rock and they're really easy to make at home.
Cheese Frenchee Recipe - Cheese.Food.com - 116213

#19 ·
What are fair scones? Something you get at the Washington State Fair?

#24 ·
Beef Enchiladas made with New Mexico Red Enchilada Sauce

Stacked (not rolled) Layers of:
Corn tortillas
Ground beef
Shredded mild cheddar cheese
Chopped onions
New Mexico Red Enchilada sauce

Topped with:
Shredded Lettuce
Shredded mild cheese cheese
Chopped tomatoes
Chopped onions
New Mexico Red Enchilada Sauce

#27 ·
Being born in Pennsylvania, I was weaned on scrapple and Shoo-fly pie, but I lived many years in Connecticut and now that I'm back in PA. I miss Hummel's natural casing hot dogs split and grilled on a buttered, grilled bun, Savin Rock style!

#29 · (Edited)
OK Guys, You asked for it ! I've been a Moderator on the ROADFOOD . COM website for a decade. Operated by Travel Food Authors Jane and Michael Stern, they have published countless books and magazine articles dealing with local and regional foods and the evolution thereof.

One correction that I must submit about Identifying Mexican Food...twenty years ago I would have agreed that to find good Mexican Food you needed to be in one of the border States...But today with the spread of the Latinos thruout the USA, you can find really good 'Mom & Pop" Mexican places in Minnesota and Maine ! It is no longer a SW-Food !

Now for some regional entries
New England has it's Lobster as Terry has suggested, But Whole-Belly Fried Clams are my suggestion for a regional seafood. What about Red-Flannel Hash? Rhode Island Johnnie-Cakes ? Lobster...but the fight over the correct Lobster Roll recipe goes on forever. One group wants it served hot with melted butter on it, the other group says serve it cold with Mayo. Both agree the top-split toasted hot dog roll is the only thing to use to hold it.
New England Chowder is white, made with milk and cream. Rhode Island Chowder is clear, made with broth, While New York Chowder is a Tomato-soup with stuff in it.

I'll skip NYC as it is a world all it's own, Like L A.

Upstate NY has its Wecks, as mentioned, and "Garbage Plates' Heaping plates full of everything from sausage to potatoes to cabbage and other stuff too. What about the real 'Buffalo Wings" ? Like Mexican, they have gone 'generic' and are nation-wide now.

NJ and PA have the Amish Stuff like Scapple and Shoo-fly-pie. But don't forget the Original Cheese Steaks in Philly and the Roast Pork Sandwiches too. INCLUDE PIAMANTI'S (sp?) in Pittsburg for its massive Sandwiches with the FF's stuffed into the sandwich before serving.

Baltimore and the Chesapeake Bay have great Oysters and Crab. Outstanding Crab Cakes Too. and their "PIT BEEF" is great also.

Virginia produces some of the finest Ham in the country.

From there south It is Seafood, BBQ Pork -sub-divided by sauce specialties in NC, SC, and the rest of the South. GRITS got their start here. I love Cheese grits and Shrimp.

FL is like NY and CA, many favorites imported with the migrating groups coming in...Cuban, Kosher, and gulf-coast Oysters !

Louisiana has the CAJUN Stuff. Memphis IS a BBQ center. Have you enjoyed Mississippi fried chicken served with TAMALES? Not Mexican at all. The Tamale is very popular in the Rural Delta area. Kentucky BBQ's Mutton and makes a soupy stew of the leftovers called BURGOO. St Louis fries it's Ravioli, and serves 'Snoot' sandwiches -slices of pig-nose boiled forever then deep-fried and covered with BBQ sauce.

Great Lakes has the Wisconsin Cheese Curds, Brats, Chicago Style Pizza, Michigan Cherries, y favorite soda comes from Wisconsin...SPRECHER'S Cherry Cola. It is great, try it if you find it. Made with real cherries and honey.

Kansas City is my BBQ Center. then south to Texas for more BBQ, but focused on Beef not Pork. Have you done the 'Big-Texan' free 72 oz Steak in Amarillo? Me either, but two of my boys did it in front of me a long time ago. A roadside landmark for travellers

Scones are kinda like Elephant Ears and Funnel Cakes..served with honey or other sweetener, you can find them in a lot of Utah locations. We call them all 'Fair-Food' but to some they are more than that.

PNW has it's own seafood specials.. with the focus on Salmon. And get a huge Baked Potato in Idaho with that fish.

CA is a world of it's own. Examples of every food culture in the world can be found here...from Albanian to Zanzibar. For me, I like "In'n'Out Burgers" & Farmer Boy's Onion Rings and Squash Spears. AND Fresh off the tree fruit of many varieties. Avrocados in everything or plain with a salt-shaker !!!

I haven't mentioned Hawaii or Alaska...but they have their own food cultures too.

OK I am awake and hungry now. Thanks for reading.
AL

I want this Breakfast plate---Bourbon French Toast at LYNNS PARADISE CAFE, Here in Louisville, KY. Made with locally produced Kentucky Bourbon !

Then maybe a quick stop for some BBQ in Lockhart, TX

#32 ·
Here in SC, we're blessed with lots of farming and fresh seafood. There are few things better, in my opinion, than steamed local oyster clusters (the brackish water they grow in makes them just salty enough), Beaufort Boil (local shrimp, red potatoes, corn on the cob and smoked sausage all boiled in a big pot and poured out on a table top) and fried green tomatoes. Shrimp and grits with andouille (ann-doo-ey) sausage and gravy is another fine staple of the south and one of my best-prepared dishes. And, finally, chicken and waffles. Yes sir!

#33 ·
Regional item real Maple Syrup grade A light or the old grading system of Fancy.

There was a little hole in the wall restaurant in Islamorada, FL called Manny and Isa's that had their own Key Lime trees and made the best Key Lime Pie I have ever tasted. I read about the place in Ted Williams book "Fishing the Big Three", as he liked their Cuban sandwiches and they were good but the pie was to die for. They grew old and retired and I understand someone else open it under the same name but haven't been there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.