Ruger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 5 months back I went to a local steel challenge and had a blast. Last month I went to the same clubs first IDPA event and it was awesome. About two weeks after the IDPA event they had another another steel challenge and it just wasn't as fun. We started off doing a standard SC stage but then he started bringing out barrels and walls for cover to shoot from like you would do in IDPA. For some reason it bugged the crap out of me. we had a few older gentlemen that stopped by and were thinking about joining in after they watched the first stage, but after they saw they would have to use cover and kneel down they realized they wouldn't be able to do it. Does anyone elses club mix the two styles of shooting together? I just felt that by doing that your limiting the participation for those who cant move around so well. Sorry for the long post. it was supposed to just be a simple question. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
What you are really asking is do we use low cover in IDPA and what happens if older shooters or those with bad knees can't drop down to shoot from low cover.

For Sanctioned Matches we levy a 3 second penalty, if warranted by time savings and allow the shooter to shoot standing. As a courtesy to all we always have low cover positions at the end of the stage.

For Club Matches we waive the penalty completely and allow those shooters to shoot standing. Hell we are only out for fun and nobody wins a car at the end of the day. Can you remeber who won your last club match in ESP Division? Or care?

In your case why wouldn't the older gentlemen just ask if they could shoot standing? I can't imagine an experienced MD sayiing no.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
485 Posts
When I was involved in the local IDPA it was a relaxed range. Not safety wise of course. But, the young guys did the fast, testosterone, beat me shooting and the older guys did what was physically safe for them. I never saw any obstacles used in the SC matches. That's why it's fun for all ages and physical abilities. You stand up and shoot. Simple.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you remeber who won your last club match in ESP Division? Or care?
Only two shooters were shooting ESP. They guy that was 1st in that division was using Hi-Power. I don't have his name though. The round count for the match was 77 and his score was 123.42.

Your cover rules seem pretty reasonable though. The guy at the steel challenge though couldn't walk very well which is why he decided not to shoot since he would have to move to cover. Guess I'm just being picky. I like shooting both styles but like them because they are different if that makes sense.

·
Registered
11 Posts
While that steel "ding" is contagious, IDPA and Steel Challenge are not interchangeable. The target criteria-basis is completely different; in SC you shoot EVERYTHING once as quickly as possible....
And there's lots of folks running Rimfire Div SC these days, which counters IDPA premise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts