Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 5846 on order (www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=5846) and am thinking about adding a red dot.

I haven't decided on a particular red dot model yet, but it will be inexpensive and probably the exposed lens type (not the scope tube type).

Having never used one, where's the best place to mount it - over the bolt (via an aftermarket rail), OR on the 5846's top picatinny rail?

Does either location allow co-witnessing?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow - 125 views and no responses. I must be asking stupid questions!

Regardless, here's another:
Can the older, side-mounted picatinny rails be used on a 5846?
Reference pic:

·
Registered
556 Posts
I would mount it on the stock rail, if you dont like it you can always buy an accessory rail to mount it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have always thought this looked like a good option to mount a red dot on a Mini:

Mini 14 Scope Mount And Scope |

As far as I know there are no mounts that allow you to co-witness a Mini's factory sights and scope or red dot.

Also Mini's are known to be pretty rough on optics. I would spend some extra cash and get a quality red dot or else you'll probably be buying a red dot more than once.

-Joe

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to try this method first (starts at 0:50):
Mini 14 Red Dot Mounting Option with Primary Arms M3 - YouTube
Anybody here tried his mounting method?

If it doesn't work, or the cheap red dot I'll buy fails, I'll try a green laser pointer on the forward rail (underneath the barrel) - because I already have one.

And if that doesn't work, I'll just have to practice up with the stock sights. I don't want a scope on this.

·
Registered
313 Posts
This is timely for me, as I had purchased a Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 1xRed Dot Sight Riflescope for my Mini-14 Tactical. I had bought two different 'risers' for the rails, not realizing these wouldn't work and still wouldn't allow me to use the iron sights and the red dot at the same time.

I went shooting today and after 20 rounds, I just decided to remove the red dot and stick with the factory iron sights. Too much hassle with the chin rest height, etc. I think I'm going to just look at getting Accuracy Systems improved aperture sights.

Here are a few shots of my Mini-14 Tactical with the red dot mounted I took today at the range:

If anyone knows of a way to mount a scope above the rail so I can still use the channel to sight with the iron sights, I'd love to know how to accomplish that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts