Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious about this and I don't mean to tick anybody off. Am I alone in thinking that using the letters LOL, OMG and others is being somewhat childish. In thinking back a few years (before email became so prevalent) I don't recall that kind of messaging in letters written between parties. Maybe it's just me or does anyone else feel that way.

·
Registered
873 Posts
What about the smileys? Plus, some of us are children here. ;)

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point Hans. I wasn't too clear about it but I was mainly directing the post toward the older crowd.

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
True, even some of us who are old enough to vote.
(For many years now.)

I don't mind them, I see them as a shortcut from the world of texting.
That being said, they are completely inappropriate in certain situations.
For example, the business or professional world.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hope my wife doesn't read this. She uses those letters all the time.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
And some of us act like children.

Seems to me if a person uses technology from this decade they should expect to use the lingo. Now if you were to write a snail letter and use LOL then that would be out of place.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
And some of us act like children.

Seems to me if a person uses technology from this decade they should expect to use the lingo. Now if you were to write a snail letter and use LOL then that would be out of place.
I just realized I use the term ditto and that hasn't been in use for a few decades.:rolleyes:

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
To me, "OMG" amounts to blasphemy.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
I will present this problem to the lunatic fringe society at our next meeting. I am a proud member & hang from the board of crazy. We will discuss this in depth while eating ice cream w/sprinkles, molasses cookies & junior mints. Thank you for bringing this to our vastly divided crazy attention span. *<* ^0^ <---mascot

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I will present this problem to the lunatic fringe society at our next meeting. I am a proud member & hang from the board of crazy. We will discuss this in depth while eating ice cream w/sprinkles, molasses cookies & junior mints. Thank you for bringing this to our vastly divided crazy attention span. *<* ^0^ <---mascot
Don't forget the green M&M's.:)

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
I'm an old fart and I probably use LOL, OMG, IMHO, etc. cause it makes me feel like a cool young texter.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
I just realized I use the term ditto and that hasn't been in use for a few decades.:rolleyes:
only if you use to refer to copies of a piece of paper, not meaning you agree with someone. lol ;) omg did i just do that?:D

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Being that I was born in the mid 80's, I grew up with access to computers. From the time I was about 7, I was on a computer pretty regularly. Now, I'm on the computer for the majority of my day at work and then at home. I remember getting the "Free 1000 Hours of AOL" CDs in the mail. I was there as Instant Messenger and Chat Rooms became popular and then died out again. I remember seeing Smileys for the first time and going crazy with them. Personally, I don't find LOL, FWIW, IIRC childish. Especially with the advent and skyrocketing popularity of text messaging, these things are great. My wife can text me, "I'll be home at 7." and I can respond, "K" and be done with it. I don't have to answer with, "Okay dear. See you then!" Or if my cousin sends me a funny message, rather than typing out, "Dude! That was hilarious!" I can just simply text, "LOL!"

Think of it as digital shorthand.

Should it be used professionally? Never. Should it be used in serious conversation (email, letters, etc.)? Absolutely not. In casual talk on fora and other e-outlets, I think it is perfectly acceptable and is the norm.

That's just my 2 cents... But what do I know? I'm just a young whipper snapper! :D

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Being that I was born in the mid 80's, I grew up with access to computers. From the time I was about 7, I was on a computer pretty regularly. Now, I'm on the computer for the majority of my day at work and then at home. I remember getting the "Free 1000 Hours of AOL" CDs in the mail. I was there as Instant Messenger and Chat Rooms became popular and then died out again. I remember seeing Smileys for the first time and going crazy with them. Personally, I don't find LOL, FWIW, IIRC childish. Especially with the advent and skyrocketing popularity of text messaging, these things are great. My wife can text me, "I'll be home at 7." and I can respond, "K" and be done with it. I don't have to answer with, "Okay dear. See you then!" Or if my cousin sends me a funny message, rather than typing out, "Dude! That was hilarious!" I can just simply text, "LOL!"

Think of it as digital shorthand.

Should it be used professionally? Never. Should it be used in serious conversation (email, letters, etc.)? Absolutely not. In casual talk on fora and other e-outlets, I think it is perfectly acceptable and is the norm.

That's just my 2 cents... But what do I know? I'm just a young whipper snapper! :D
My wife sometimes emails me and instead of using "K' I'll use CB talk and write out "tin fur good buddy" meaning 10-4.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
When I was in the Army, way back when, and writing letters home if something was funny I'd just write "ha ha". Pretty much spelled everything else out

·
Registered
873 Posts
I feel ya. I use that and people act like I just chanted Latin! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Exactly right heymatthew -
Digital shorthand describes it perfectly and you can do it quick, especially if you're someplace where you're not supposed to be on the phone.

·
Registered
873 Posts
My wife sometimes emails me and instead of using "K' I'll use CB talk and write out "tin fur good buddy" meaning 10-4.
Pig Pen, this here's a Rubber Duck, I'm about to put the hammer down... :D

1 - 20 of 52 Posts