Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just built an Aero Precision AR-10 in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm looking to do some long range shooting 500+ yards (I'm not planning to be some 1000 yard wizard) just would like to be comfortably proficient at the longer ranges, and am currently looking for a scope for the rifle. As some backing issue it's a 20" Ballistic Advantage barrel with a 1:8 twist. I'm shopping around looking in the under $500 range. The running favorites are a 6.5-20x44mm Vortex Viper; a 6-24x50mm Vortex Crossfire II; or some version of a Leupold in the 20+ magnification range (watch eBay and gunbroker a lot wouldn't mind used for Vortex or Leupold with their warranty). One outside contender is the Riton 5-25x, a local gun store recommended it, but I don't know anything about the brand. I'm open to any thoughts or suggestions, I'm more partial to Vortex or Leupold, as I've owned both and loved them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Personal vote would be the viper better turrets with zero stop if I'm not mistaken which would be a nice addition if you plan on stretching the 6.5s legs out. Leupold might have something in the freedom line with their cds turrets not as nice as viper hat but would do the trick but I will say leupold edges vortex out some in low sight and high magnification clarity. If it's just a target gun I think SWFA might have some options and their tracking and turrets are supposed to be superb for the money. When looking to order whatever scope Google predator optics LLC
These dudes will hook you up heavy. Just know what you want with model # they'll get you the best deals they can find.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have a Vortex Viper 6.5X20X50mm with 30mm tube on my Savage 12FV in .204.

I am quite happy with it. It is for bench shooting. I do not use it at dusk or dawn so I can't really comment on low light performance.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
For your intended use I’d be comfortable purchasing either of the Vortex scopes. They make decent optics for the price. Good luck whichever road you go down.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Interesting. I picked up a Nikon Monarch from a guy at my club 4-20x Have it on a Savage Axis II 6.5 Creedmoor. Have been pout to 400 yards as is. very happy with it. Next up is a long range shooting class, as I'm fairly sure the weak link is NOT the equipment.

Although, there is a nice Boyds stock that might help..

I'll be interested to hear where you end up.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,501 Posts
I am with others here the vortex viper is a great scope. I have the 6x24x50 viper pst ffp illuminated on my barrett 99, very nice product. I have alot of nikons and they are great too, only downside to my 6x24x50 monarch 3 fine crosshair is that it has way less moa adjustment than my vortex. That kinda hinders you at longer ranges sinxe you will run out of adjustment. I have another prospect for you. Try the athlon scopes they are crystal clear and also have a lifetime warranty. Have a friend with a ruger precision in 6.5 creedmoor thats wonderful at long distance. Here is t he link.

https://athlonoptics.com/product-category/rifle-scopes/

·
Site Sponsor
1,259 Posts
If you would like dependable quality under $500.00 I'd suggest you look at Athlon. It would be our pleasure to discuss the different available options with you. Please feel free to give us a call, 516-217-1000

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok everyone. New to the long range group but just purchased the RPR in .338 Lapua. Now i'm at a stand still with the optics. I want to eventually reach out to 1700yds so i want the optics to grow with my abilities. I have looked at Nightforce, Zeiss, and Valdada and i'm leaning towards the Valdada. I just don't want to drop the funds without some expert advice. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
March 8-80 56mm is the king of long range scopes with a king size price tag.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have a Gen 2 RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor with a 6X24X50 Vortex Razor FFP. Expensive, but deadly out to 1000 yards, and probably more, but that's my limit on my property. Easy to adjust, and turret stops help for long range. Just my 2cents. Spend wisely.

·
Banned
388 Posts
I have a RPR Gen 6.5 with a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x40 and we take it out almost every weekend and hit 30" targets at 900, 1200, 1600 and 1800. At 900 and 1200 yards, I can hit pretty much everytime (we don't use the best ammo). Now at 1600 the scope starts to get a little hazy and hitting the target with cheap off the shelf ammo is hit or miss, but I do still consistently hit! At 1800 it becomes real tough, but set to the right power I have been somewhat successful!

I guess my point is, be honest with yourself do you really have access to extreme long range? If you really don't than spending a ton on a scope is somewhat pointless. I personally do not consider anything under 1000 yards LONG range. You do not have to spend a ton of money on a scope to be proficient at long range, I consistently out shoot all my friends that have more in their scope than I do in my entire rifle setup (scope, rifle, bipod, trigger and rail).

What ever scope you choose should be fine. Biggest thing, get out there and practice!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
For under $500 my vote would be for the Sightron S-TAC 4-20x50. Can be had with duplex, MOA, or MRAD reticle. Glass is very good and turrets are outstanding. Same tracking design they use in their SIII and SV lines. I have one on a light weight 338 Lapua and it has performed very well.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
For under $500 my vote would be for the Sightron S-TAC 4-20x50. Can be had with duplex, MOA, or MRAD reticle. Glass is very good and turrets are outstanding. Same tracking design they use in their SIII and SV lines. I have one on a light weight 338 Lapua and it has performed very well.
The S-TAC is a fine piece of glass. I have two of the 4-20x scopes. :D

·
Registered
394 Posts
I can really only recommend the SWFA 5-20 HD. You can often find one on the Sample list for under $1k. Anything else in that price range doesn't come close to matching up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would go with a Vortex and check out their Strike Eagle line since you are putting in on an AR. They have a 5-25 with an $700 + MSRP but you might pick up a used one in your $500 budget.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,501 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts