Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and I had a good time this afternoon shooting at the 2 foot diameter steel gong at my range, distance was 330 yards. We were shooting my 5 inch Bisley .45 with low power Cowboy loads. We ended up having to aim probably 30 feet above the gong, then were hitting very close to it. Shot 100 rounds that way. The gong is visible near the top of the hill, we were aiming at the second big bush above the gong.

Also shot the Mini-30 and GSR. It was easy with the GSR, it has a Nikon 2.5-8x scope. I took the Burris FF III dot off the M-30 so I could just shoot irons for a while. We had to hold a foot high to hit with the 7.62x39 at 330 yards with a 200 yard zero, so held at the top of the gong, so just a hint of the white gong was visible above the front ramp.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Always love posts about folks shooting revolvers at way out there kind of ranges. Makes me laugh when some people claim that revolvers are short range weapons, only. Good for you.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Good shooting! Thanks for the post. I probably could barely see the hill at 300 yards.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I hit a dumpster at 300 yards with a 22 pellet rifle on a are. I thought I was special till I read this. Good shootin.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Very nice shooting! (and guns. :D)

I'd love to stretch out my .45 Colt Blackhawk, just need to find a rifle range near me.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Sure wish I had a place like that to shoot. Sounds like you had a fun time. Did you try hitting that 330 yd target without the bench rest?

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Kind of fun once in awhile :) . If no one is on our rifle range, sometimes we'll cross shoot off hand (no rest) at a large steel plate hanging out there at around 300 yards. Yep fun sometimes with the .45 Colt or .44 Special revolvers.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My friend brought his stainless S&W .22, 10 shot w/ 6 inch barrel, and we tried that at the gong as well. But could not even see where the .22 bullets were hitting. No problem seeing the bullets from the .45, though. Lots of dust kicked up !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts