Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a good year for us with Ruger revolvers, especially with Single Sixes, so couldn't pass up this one.

It's the Single Six Hunter, of course, and since it is designed for use with a scope, I wasted no time in adding a 2x scope. After sighting in from the bench at 25 yards, my first group.

My best group ...

And my worst group, which was probably more me than the gun, had I kept that one shot tucked in a bit.

With this kind of accuracy, I figured I needed more than 2x for 50 yard work, so mounted a TC 2.5-7x on the Hunter.

Returned the next day to see what the SS Hunter could do at 50. Unfortunately, not a great day to test accuracy - stiff and gusty headwind - but the Hunter still delivered.

... and this one. Bull is 2" and top shot a called flyer, but still right at 3/4". ...

Now for a little rant on Single Six accuracy, or lack, thereof, via the dread .224 compromise bore size to accommodate shooting 22 magnums in the same gun.

This makes Single Six number four for us, three being brand new production guns, purchased since last spring. All four have the .224 compromise bore size and all four have delivered five shot groups at 25 yards, from a rest, of one inch or less - sometimes significantly less - even with open sights. (A previously owned Single Ten did the same.) With a scope, we now have a Single Six that can do this even at 50 yards.

My benchmark for accuracy at 25 yards has always been one of our Ruger Marks. In terms of best groups, then, our Single Sixes are right there with the Marks. To be sure, it is easier to shoot smaller groups with the Marks and average group size favors the Marks, but with patience and a little work, I have managed to do push these Single Sixes into Ruger Mark accuracy territory. Bottom line: you're going to have a hard time convincing me that a Single Six is seriously accuracy compromised by its .224 bore size.

As for the Hunter, I haven't even tried the open sights or the 22 mag cylinder, but hope to get out and try those before winter moves in and shuts down our outdoor shooting season.

Would love to hear from other Single Six, Single Ten owners with similar stories. As far as this girl is concerned, Ruger Single Sixes and Single Tens can do! :)

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Awesome Ncg! Nice Six and great shooting! If I ever get up to the frozen north woods of WI I want some shooting lessons...

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Can I ask what rest you've using? I'll assume from a bench, but I'm interested to hear which actual support and what set up. Sand bag under the grip, grip on the table, or hand resting on the deck?

Purty dang good shooting. Sure does make ya think about handgun accuracy when you deliver tiny little groups with them!

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Can I ask what rest you've using? I'll assume from a bench, but I'm interested to hear which actual support and what set up. Sand bag under the grip, grip on the table, or hand resting on the deck?

Purty dang good shooting. Sure does make ya think about handgun accuracy when you deliver tiny little groups with them!
As a general rule with handguns, I rest my forearms on the bag and try as much as possible to use the same grip as when I shoot without rest, with no part of the gun or my hands touching the bag. That way, I typically get close to the same POI when I stand up to shoot without a rest. With conventional handguns using iron sights or a red dot or even a 2x scope, I only use a rest for the sake of checking accuracy or sighting in. For me, shooting conventional handguns is all about shooting without a rest. (Specialty pistols are another story.)

On this one, though, with a 7x scope, I need more support, so I rest my hands on the bag with another bag to support my forearms, since I need the extra stability to handle the magnification. I avoid setting the butt of the grip on the bag for the sake of getting bounce off the bag.

I find that shooting single action revolvers from a rest is less than ideal. Much more comfortable for me to shoot semi autos from a rest or even DAs. On the other hand, I find that SA revolvers really shine when shooting without a rest. For whatever reason, seems a more natural way to shoot them. Really love shooting them from a standing position. Guess it's the cowgirl in me. :)

Not that my way is better or worse than anyone else's, of course. Just the way I like to shoot. Good question, though.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
So just to make sure I am reading that right - you're not actually using a "rest" to support the revolver, just shooting from supported hands and forearms on bags?

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So just to make sure I am reading that right - you're not actually using a "rest" to support the revolver, just shooting from supported hands and forearms on bags?
Correct. I prefer not to have the gun touch the bag, though I do exert some forward pressure with my hands into the bag. Harder to explain than to actually do. Actually, I think it's more important to rest the gun exactly the same way for every shot than the method you use. Even the slightest variation in your grip, rest and so on robs you of accuracy.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
what happened to the single 10?
at one time you loved it, but i see you ditched it.
That one took a trip back to Ruger for a timing issue and broken hammer pawl. Got it back and sold it, but in all fairness, that was when the ST first came out. Don't think the bugs had been all worked out and it was in that 2011-2012 time frame when Ruger was in a big rush to keep up with demand. May try another one in the near future, now that I've seen much better consistency in new Ruger revolvers. For sure, our batting average with new Ruger revolvers, this year, has been outstanding.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Dang you! Now I want one too! Argh...................... <grin>

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Very nice! Good shooting too!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts