Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else notice lately some posts just keep getting longer and longer? to be honest if a post is more than 4 or 5 lines long I'm not going to read it, is it just me or do other's skip reading long winded posts that take so many lines to get a point accross you think your reading a politians speach of lots of words that don't say anything?:D

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
I'll read little more than a paragraph and that's it. I don't have the time right now to read more than that. lol

And I know the post that you're referring to!

·
Banned
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll read little more than a paragraph and that's it. I don't have the time right now to read more than that. lol

And I know the post that you're referring to!
I'm not referring to any particular post just long winded posts in general, did you make a long one lately?:confused:

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,887 Posts
What was the question? I fell asleep while reading your long post...LOL

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Anyone else notice lately some posts just keep getting longer and longer? to be honest if a post is more than 4 or 5 lines long I'm not going to read it, is it just me or do other's skip reading long winded posts that take so many lines to get a point accross you think your reading a politians speach of lots of words that don't say anything?:D
I'm sorry mate, I'll try to edit them appropriately in future..... :rolleyes:

:D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
Sorry guys, I know I'm guilty. :( Sometimes a quick soundbite or talking point just makes me feel like a liberal, and invites taking my micro-thoughts out of context.

I'll start to read a longer post and if it is interesting I read on. Otherwise...

(Was this too long?) :D

·
Banned
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sorry mate, I'll try to edit them appropriately in future..... :rolleyes:

:D :D :D :D :D
Your's are always short and to the point mate, and I read all your's;) I'm not complaining or anything people can write books all day if they like:D I'm just wondering if I'm the only one that skips over long posts?

·
Banned
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry guys, I know I'm guilty. :( Sometimes a quick soundbite or talking point just makes me feel like a liberal, and invites taking my micro-thoughts out of context.

I'll start to read a longer post and if it is interesting I read on. Otherwise...

(Was this too long?) :D
Nah just right,;) Im not trying to make you feel guilty or anything I just have a sort attention span and get bored fast:D

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
Oh, I don't know: Some people, many of whom are of an intellectual bent, want to be sure that they communicate fully and completely, in order to make their point, completely and totally, and without ambiguity or any chance of misunderstanding.

Therefore, whatsoever and notwithstanding, they may sometimes over-expain, and, or, repeat themselves thus sacrificing brevity for clarity. I myself, have sometimes been accused of extravagant and repetitious prose in order to insure that my point has been well made. Though I should point out, completely dissent from this accusation.

And yes, some posts may be somewhat overly wordy but, always with good intensions, and, to be sure that the original poster has made his or her point well and moreover, be sure that they are completely understood.

Thus, I do not understand why you would find the practice of one wanting to be certain that one has communicated clearly and made their point clearly and completely, to be an offensive act.

Well, I certainly hope that I have been able to make my point succinctly and without extemporaneous verbiage or hyperbole.

Finally, in closing, I would like to acknowledge that I have sometimes been accused of being verbose and grandiloquent. But, I assure you that it is only in the name of clarity and that the sacrifice of brevity is in the hope of some semblance of communicating precisely the complete meaning of my premise, thesis or hypothesis and to attempt to make clear my theory or point of view.

I hope, in this short contribution to this thread, that I have been able to bring some new perspective to those of you who seem to have a problem with clear communications. :D :D :D ;) ;)

·
Banned
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, I don't know: Some people, many of whom are of an intellectual bent, want to be sure that they communicate fully and completely, in order to make their point, completely and totally, and without ambiguity or any chance of misunderstanding.

Therefore, whatsoever and notwithstanding, they may sometimes over-expain, and, or, repeat themselves thus sacrificing brevity for clarity. I myself, have sometimes been accused of extravagant and repetitious prose in order to insure that my point has been well made. Though I should point out, completely dissent from this accusation.

And yes, some posts may be somewhat overly wordy but, always with good intensions, and, to be sure that the original poster has made his or her point well and moreover, be sure that they are completely understood.

Thus, I do not understand why you would find the practice of one wanting to be certain that one has communicated clearly and made their point clearly and completely, to be an offensive act.

Well, I certainly hope that I have been able to make my point succinctly and without extemporaneous verbiage or hyperbole.

Finally, in closing, I would like to acknowledge that I have sometimes been accused of being verbose and grandiloquent. But, I assure you that it is only in the name of clarity and that the sacrifice of brevity is in the hope of some semblance of communicating precisely the complete meaning of my premise, thesis or hypothesis and to attempt to make clear my theory or point of view.

I hope, in this short contribution to this thread, that I have been able to bring some new perspective to those of you who seem to have a problem with clear communications. :D :D :D ;) ;)
Sorry read the first 3 lines and I was done:D

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
As one of the offenders, I'll just say: point taken.

Jim

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Oh, I don't know:
There you go mate, I've edited it for you..... :D
Seriously though, fine example of "tongue in cheek".
I would have been proud to claim authorship of the piece myself..... :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
Sorry read the first 3 lines and I was done:D
But you "quoted" the whole thing. Did you expect us to read it all again as quoted in your post just so we would completely understand your response? ;) I'm so confused...

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
Brevity is the soul of wit. — William Shakespeare

Reminds me of the story about Calvin Coolidge who had a reputation for his brevity. When a lady at a state dinner bet him she could make him say more than two words, Coolidge replied, "You lose."

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts

I read your whole post! :D

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,681 Posts
Guilty as charged.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts