Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Love SA/DA pistols but most are IMO too large and heavy for EDC. So, I'm in search of a SA/DA polymer frame 9mm. So far the Beretta PX4 Storm Compact has my attention. A little iffy in the weight category but size + mag capacity are good. Are there any better choices out there? Just don't like the long trigger pull every single shot with my Sec 9. If my P-85 didn't weigh 34 lbs I'd carry it.

PS- I want a rail
Have you looked at the Seneschal short stroke trigger from Galloway Precision. Best $36 I have spent for the Security 9 and only took about a half hour to install and is noticeably a shorter stroke. Worth a look at if you dont really want to spend the money on a new pistol.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Have you looked at the Seneschal short stroke trigger from Galloway Precision. Best $36 I have spent for the Security 9 and only took about a half hour to install and is noticeably a shorter stroke. Worth a look at if you dont really want to spend the money on a new pistol.
Yes, I looked seriously at those, but removing 20% of the pre-travel didn't seem adequate to me + I blew them off. You really think it's a significant improvement? You're right, $36 ain't squat even for a cheapskate like me!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
That's a fact! And in today's market, seems like I'm always settling for less than what I want. So my mind is telling me to wait + my body's telling me I'll be dead by then! :rolleyes:
I find that when I settle, I end up getting what I really wanted all along somewhere down the road. My opinion is that even $300 is a lot to spend if you don't end up with what you want. I would rather spend twice as much and have exactly what I want.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hmmm, just watched the vid. Not a real tough install, but with my eyes seein double everything, it'd be iffy. Well, it's on it's way, supposed to be 3-5 delivery.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I find that when I settle, I end up getting what I really wanted all along somewhere down the road. My opinion is that even $300 is a lot to spend if you don't end up with what you want. I would rather spend twice as much and have exactly what I want.
Well I'm glad to hear I ain't the only one who does that! Don't know why I'm so cheap, I make more money retired than I did workin. But that's what allowed me to put it away, invest it, and be real comfortable. The problem, as you know, yah start with somethin cheap, sell it at a loss to move up one notch, and repeat 10 times until yah finally own what yah wanted in the first place. Cept now it cost yah twice as much! I ain't a stupid person, but man oh man do I do stupid stuff! :(

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Found this model a little small for my likin, but it's bigger brother the P30 is PERFECT! I'm a southpaw and all the ambidextrous features are a real plus. Appreciate the heads up, this one's got my name on it.
I have the P30 also..I have found it a little large for conceal carry.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You mentioned the PX4 Storm Compact being acceptable. Have you seen a PX4 Storm SC (sub compact)? A little smaller than the Compact in length/height and uses a conventional tilt barrel as opposed to the Compact’s rotating barrel.
I’ve got one in 9mm and one in 40. The 9mm flush fit mag is 13+1, and it will accept the full size Storm’s 17 round mag if you desire. I carry mine regularly. A chunky little devil, but that capacity makes it worthwhile to me. Typical Beretta quality.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a Beretta PX4 Compact Carry in 9mm. The extra word "carry" means it the slicked up LTT version. I am very happy with the gun even though it was a bit pricey.

·
Registered
272 Posts
How about a FMK 9C1G2?

Comparison to a HK 45 Compact:

Comparison to a Taurus 709 Slim:

It was originally one with a DAO trigger, but I replaced it with their 804 trigger. It's basically a Glock clone. I have enjoyed shooting mine since I got it July 2018. Uses 10 and 14rnd mags and feels real good in my hands.

·
Registered
820 Posts
The Spring XDe has a horrible trigger pull IMO I didn't care for it after shooting one. I get Kahr P9 or a P45 like I have in my rotation.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
How about a FMK 9C1G2?

View attachment 152077

Comparison to a HK 45 Compact:
View attachment 152078

Comparison to a Taurus 709 Slim:
View attachment 152079

It was originally one with a DAO trigger, but I replaced it with their 804 trigger. It's basically a Glock clone. I have enjoyed shooting mine since I got it July 2018. Uses 10 and 14rnd mags and feels real good in my hands.
Well that's interesting, love the "proudly American + Thank you Armed Forces". Weight + price right there also, but, I not quite understanding that trigger. That crazy long DAO is what I wanna get away from. I see by the top pic the trigger rpl resolved that. I'm gonna try + find one of those locally + educate myself more.

The Spring XDe has a horrible trigger pull IMO I didn't care for it after shooting one. I get Kahr P9 or a P45 like I have in my rotation.
Ditto on the Spring. Isn't the Kahr a striker DAO also?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes, all the Kahrs are striker fired. The FMK is also (see: Striker Assembly ).

Here are some P99 Walthers available on Gun Broker: Guns & Firearms for Sale | GunBroker.com .
The P99 is striker fired as well. Got one in .40. But the striker has a bright red indicator by both sight and feel when it is cocked, so closer to hammer fired than any other striker fired pistol.

Interesting also in that it can be carried two ways. One with the striker “relaxed” so the first trigger pull is a long, smooth DA.
Two with the striker pre-cocked so the first trigger pull is a crisp SA. In this mode there is a pretty robust striker safety in place so the striker can’t release unless the trigger is pulled.
There is a third way to carry it, a combination of the two other modes, but I never use it. I usually carry it in the DA mode the trigger pull is so smooth.
AND finally, it has a neat decocker so you can take it from the SA mode first shot to the DA mode first shot quickly and safely.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Sw99 is the same as Walther 99. They make a couple different variation but really appreciate the decocker on top the slide. Super accurate more so than any other pistols I have used.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I Love FN's 509 with suppressor ready barrel and RMR and it's two 24rd count mags. So 1 in the pipe and 24 to follow in a neat little package has turned my head.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I've gotta get back up to Vance where I can rent a few of these on the range. I'm tired of buyin something that just don't do it, and shootin em is the only way to find out. There's some GREAT suggestions here, but it ain't one size fits all. Wanna get back to the SA/DA that made me fall in love with the P-85 when it first came out. The striker guns just don't make me smile!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Well that's interesting, love the "proudly American + Thank you Armed Forces". Weight + price right there also, but, I not quite understanding that trigger. That crazy long DAO is what I wanna get away from. I see by the top pic the trigger rpl resolved that. I'm gonna try + find one of those locally + educate myself more.
Yeah, the DAO trigger sucked, the 804 trigger is much better. Here's a Youtube by Graham Baates showing how it runs with the 804 trigger:

Here's the specs on the gun with 804 trigger:

Specifications for 804 Fast Action Trigger (FAT):
  • Model: 9C1 G2
  • Caliber: 9 mm
  • Action: Single-Action,
  • Drop Free Magazines
  • No Mag-Out Safety
  • Shorter lighter trigger pull
  • Magazine Capacity: (2) 14+1 or 10+1 (NY, HI, MD)
  • Slide: High-Carbon Steel
  • Barrel: Stainless Steel
  • Frame: Polymer (Black, Dark Earth, Burnt Bronze, Brick Red, OD Green, Dark Grey, Blue Jay, and Pink Raspberry)
  • Sights: Third-Party Glock 19 compatible sights
  • Barrel Length: 4”
  • Overall Length: 6.85”
  • Height: 5.09”
  • Width: 1.14”
  • Weight: 23.45 ozs.
  • Twist: 1:16” LH
  • Rifle Grooves: 6

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Yeah, the DAO trigger sucked, the 804 trigger is much better. Here's a Youtube by Graham Baates showing how it runs with the 804 trigger:

Here's the specs on the gun with 804 trigger:

Specifications for 804 Fast Action Trigger (FAT):
  • Model: 9C1 G2
  • Caliber: 9 mm
  • Action: Single-Action,
  • Drop Free Magazines
  • No Mag-Out Safety
  • Shorter lighter trigger pull
  • Magazine Capacity: (2) 14+1 or 10+1 (NY, HI, MD)
  • Slide: High-Carbon Steel
  • Barrel: Stainless Steel
  • Frame: Polymer (Black, Dark Earth, Burnt Bronze, Brick Red, OD Green, Dark Grey, Blue Jay, and Pink Raspberry)
  • Sights: Third-Party Glock 19 compatible sights
  • Barrel Length: 4”
  • Overall Length: 6.85”
  • Height: 5.09”
  • Width: 1.14”
  • Weight: 23.45 ozs.
  • Twist: 1:16” LH
  • Rifle Grooves: 6
Thanx, gonna see if I can locate one around here to looksee.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have four 9mm pistols: Taurus 709 Slim, FMK 9C1G2, Beretta 92FS, and a Canik TP9FS. The Canik has the best trigger by far of the 4, but I like the feel of the FMK the best. All have shot fine but the Taurus being so small just doesn't seem to be as accurate as the other 3 at 10 yds.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts