Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...from those you know.

Hey everybody,
I'm getting ready to replace some OWB kydex holsters for OWB leather ones.

There are at least a ka-zillion brands, styles, etc.,on the market, (the last time I counted them ;) ),that in order to maybe shorten and expedite my search I thought I'd run this by you first and get your ideas and feedback as a starting point.

Here goes, I have two guns that I carry in the 4:00 position that I want to get OWB leather holsters for...
1) GP100 with a 4" barrel
2) SR1911

What are your recommedations for these guns and the carry application, OWB?

Thanks for your help! :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
For my 1911, I really like my Andrews Leather Wrap-id. It holds my 1911 in nice and tight, and also has adjustable tension screw. Sam does amazing work, and is just an overall great guy. I got this used, which is rare for Sam's work, and I still had to baggy it for a couple days even with the retention screw backed out, so I could get the gun out without it looking like I was trying to pull my pants over my head. The holster is also easy to reholster one-handed and the mouth doesn't collapse.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Hey JK55, I have several Galco holsters I like real well. I use a Galco Phoenix for my 6" GP100 and my 6" S&W629. I like my Galco Fletch for my SR1911. I also have a Galco Kodiak rig for my 460XVR but that's more like a shoulder rig. Have a nice Galco belt I like too. Point being I'm pretty happy with my Galco stuff so far.

Check out Kelly Gun Leather too. Steve Kelly makes some gorgeous stuff for the 1911. I had Steve make me an OWB holster for my SP101 that's stunning - black with ostrich trim. Almost too nice - my "Sunday go to meeting" holster!

Wave

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks novatly and Wave' for your responses ;)

novalty, that's a very nice lookin' holster!

Wave' I'm gonna look at Galco, I've heard quite about their stuff...

I really like leather better then kydex but when I bought the guns there wasn't much money left over and I had to put 'em in something so I opted for the kydex holsters, as they were relatively inexpensive, which they did fine but it's time for a change now.

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
48 Posts
A couple more holster manufacturers to check out for your 1911 are: Adams Leatherworks, R Grizzle Leather. Kelly Gunleather, Overland Gunleather.

·
Registered
17,112 Posts
D. M. Bullard Bodyguard is a great OWB holster. It has about a 30 degree forward cant that really hides the grip well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts