Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am looking at a p89 pistol and most I see come with 10 round mags due to them being made during the ban. What are the things to look at when buying the 15 round replacement mags? Ones to not buy or stay away from ones that are good ect. Should I look at only Ruger OEM or after market is OK? Thanks. I see these guns are starting to go up in price. I used to see them all the time on GB ect for around 200 to 225 now they seem to go regularly for 325 to 350. Are people realizing that they are great guns or is it just that guns are selling due to the fear factory?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Personally I would stick with the Ruger OEM mags.That is what I use and have never had a problem
These are good mags and run in either the P89 or P95.
Probably would work in all P series 9mm.
In Feb, 2015 I paid $237.00 for my 2003 model.It has run flawlessly since.
Biggest problem is that since Ruger calls the P series "obsolete" they will not sell parts. But you can sent the pistol in and they will repair if needed.
Enjoy this fine piece of machinery!

·
Registered
128 Posts
P-series pistols are great guns, you're gonna love that P89.

For aftermarket magazines stick to Mec-Gar and you'll be just fine. I've got a couple, 15rd & 17rd, for my P94 9mm that I picked up about 4 years ago and they have both been flawless. Top quality stuff, built to OEM specs. I believe they actually manufacture a lot of factory issued mags for many gun makers, including Ruger.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Mec-Gar is the Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) for Ruger, and many other gun manufacturers. When you buy a new gun, Ruger makes the gun, Mec-Gar makes the magazine. I wouldn't buy any other brand magazine, other than Ruger branded mags, or Mec-Gar.

I have a couple Mec-gar 17 round magazines for my P95(also works in the P89). The 17 round mags are flush to the end of the grip. They have been perfect though a couple thousand rounds. Mec-Gar also makes 20 & 30 round mags for the 9mm P series Ruger pistols. They do stick out of the grip though.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mcgar it is. I picked up a nice blued P89 for 250 about the going rate. I wanted the SS version but they are not as easy to find. Looks like I can get OEM mags for around 25 and Mcgar for around 24. After market promags for around 14 to 16. I will stick with the first two.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have a p95 which use the same mags as p89.
Only mags I use are factory or Mec-Gar.............................so far never had a problem with mags in either gun!:D
* my mags are ten round, his are all older 15, both work fine in either gun.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Mec-Gar magazines are first-class products. Rugers, SIGs and CZs are sold with factory magazines actually made by Mec-Gar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts