Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would like to hear from owners. I always see the people with an issue, would like to hear the other side of the story.
looks like a pretty well made rifle, and the price is reasonable for an entry level AR.
reliable?
accurate?
durable?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
IMHO, for the price, it's hard to beat. Some have complained about it but either they hadn't cleaned it properly before using or Ruger took care of the problem. The 1/8 twist was a big plus for me. That why I didn't go with the S&W.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
would like to hear from owners. I always see the people with an issue, would like to hear the other side of the story.
looks like a pretty well made rifle, and the price is reasonable for an entry level AR.
reliable?
accurate?
durable?
I bought mine about a month ago and am very happy with it. For the price, mine was $599, you get a lot of value.

I have fired 220 rounds on three range trips with no hiccups. A mix of different brands of 55 grain .223 and 5.56. The last 40 rounds were Wolf steel cased.

As for accuracy, I'm a plinker. I don't shoot groups from a benchrest. I can say, though, that I can hit the steel plates at 100 yards at my range with regularity. The trigger is your basic mil-spec single stage. The sights it comes with work fine. Of course it has a rail so you can easily mount a scope or red dot.

There are a number of good choices at $600 or less, including the M&P Sport, but the Ruger is a fine choice.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Mine seemed rather tight when new, but after a ~100 rounds it's seemed to loosen a bit, which is a good thing. Never had a single issue with brass ammo, and the more it's shot, the less issue it has with steel cased ammo (once I'm out of steel cased ammo, I won't be buying anymore, just mentioning this). Seems accurate with open sights, which is the only way I've shot it so far.

I have installed a Vortex Striker Fire II, but haven't had a chance to shoot it and sight it in yet. I'm not sold on leaving the red dot on there, the rifle was the lightest AR I own and even though the Red dot didn't add much weight, it now feels like about all other AR's I own (save for my tank of an M&P15A, have no idea why this one feels so heavy!)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I really like mine! Has ran perfectly since I got it.

I've done some customization to mine. It's an AR, so why not? I can say that all parts for a typical AR have fit without any issues to this point.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Goldtop, I'm thinking about buying a carry handle. If I might ask, which one did you buy, and where did you get yours?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,041 Posts
refugeepj, The Ruger AR556 is a short barreled (16.1") M4 style rifle intended for close range use (100 yards or less). Like any other AR-15 type rifle, there's not a part that can't be changed to meet your needs. That said, if you want a longer range rifle or one with match grade accuracy, the AR556 is probably NOT your best choice.

I bought one back in March and put it through its paces. My eyesight is grim so I decided to install a low power scope (Nikon P-223, 3x32) with a set of UGT rings. My first obstacle was the front sight (gas block assembly) so I removed it and installed a low profile gas block. I am very happy with my configuration. It does exactly what it was designed to do, accuracy is decent, and it functions exceptionally well. I do like to shoot from a bench rest or in the prone position so the included 30 round magazine was a pain. I bought a couple 10 round Magpul magazines. I also bought a military type "hasty" sling and attached a QD socket to the gas block.

Something to note: Buy a rifle in the configuration closest to what you want the end product to look like. If you buy a 16" model and later decide you want a 20" ... that can be done quite easily by buying and installing a different barrel, gas tube, and handguard. That can easily total to 200 bucks or more.

In conclusion, if a M4 style rifle is what you want, the Ruger AR556 is a great choice for the $$$. Here's my chosen configuration .... certainly not everyone's cup of tea:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Goldtop, I'm thinking about buying a carry handle. If I might ask, which one did you buy, and where did you get yours?
Ditto, may I suggest that you go with a carry handle made by Colt, BCM, DPMS, or Rock River to insure that you get the proper height to work with your front sight base? I believe Bushmaster makes one that is .40" lower and this can cause issues when sighting it in. I'm not sure what front sight height the UTG or some of the other economy models are made to work with.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Ditto, may I suggest that you go with a carry handle made by Colt, BCM, DPMS, or Rock River to insure that you get the proper height to work with your front sight base? I believe Bushmaster makes one that is .40" lower and this can cause issues when sighting it in. I'm not sure what front sight height the UTG or some of the other economy models are made to work with.
I don't intend to bash Bushmaster, but many of the carry handles I've seen on their AR's in stores have not impressed me much. Specifically, the sights seemed to be all loose and wiggly compared to those on competitors' models.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
refugeepj, The Ruger AR556 is a short barreled (16.1") M4 style rifle intended for close range use (100 yards or less). Like any other AR-15 type rifle, there's not a part that can't be changed to meet your needs. That said, if you want a longer range rifle or one with match grade accuracy, the AR556 is probably NOT your best choice.

I bought one back in March and put it through its paces. My eyesight is grim so I decided to install a low power scope (Nikon P-223, 3x32) with a set of UGT rings. My first obstacle was the front sight (gas block assembly) so I removed it and installed a low profile gas block. I am very happy with my configuration. It does exactly what it was designed to do, accuracy is decent, and it functions exceptionally well. I do like to shoot from a bench rest or in the prone position so the included 30 round magazine was a pain. I bought a couple 10 round Magpul magazines. I also bought a military type "hasty" sling and attached a QD socket to the gas block.

Something to note: Buy a rifle in the configuration closest to what you want the end product to look like. If you buy a 16" model and later decide you want a 20" ... that can be done quite easily by buying and installing a different barrel, gas tube, and handguard. That can easily total to 200 bucks or more.

In conclusion, if a M4 style rifle is what you want, the Ruger AR556 is a great choice for the $$$. Here's my chosen configuration .... certainly not everyone's cup of tea:

Iowegan, are you trying to tell me my stock AR-556 is not going to shoot cloverleaf groups with Tula ammo at 500 yards? :(

·
Registered
440 Posts
refugeepj, The Ruger AR556 is a short barreled (16.1") M4 style rifle intended for close range use (100 yards or less).
Iowegan, I'm not sure where you got this number, but it certainly goes against what the military teaches... Max effective range is 500 yards for a point target and 600 yards for an area target, with max range over 3000 meters.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks to all. I will continue to monitor this thread, but the responses answer my questions. I am and have been a Ruger supporter for many years. have been completely satisfied with the company from product to CS. the AR-556 I looked at would be light, handy and if combat accurate and completely reliable, the answer to my desires ( that answer 40 years ago would have required long legs and short skirt). so my thought now is I shall watch the sales at the shops in my area. my tiny little mind will probably obsess over this until one is bought and fired multiple times, and then accessorized.
further input will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I'll add that the fit and especially finish of my ar556, is as good or better than any of my other 6 AR rifles from brands such as Colt, S&W, Adams Arms, Bushmaster and a couple home builds. Not that the others are in any way bad, just my particular AR556, is well finished rifle.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I'll add that the fit and especially finish of my ar556, is as good or better than any of my other 6 AR rifles from brands such as Colt, S&W, Adams Arms, Bushmaster and a couple home builds. Not that the others are in any way bad, just my particular AR556, is well finished rifle.
I thought the same when I got mine. Good fit and finish. Made well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My first was a S&W M&P 5.56, great value IMO. Then you get the bug and everything changes as you have the cash.

Build your own, spend more money than stock but if your desires get expensive you have to expect the gun does too. I call this one my sniper AR.

Coronado Arms Lower billet lower, 24" E. R. Shaw bull barrel, Hawk scope. It's a tack driver.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a Bushmaster that is a good shooter. the Ruger just caught my eye. the fit and finish of the one I looked at impressed me. thanks for the feedback. I will continue to monitor.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Get it. Or any quality AR in that price range. I've looked them over at shops and gun shows. They look as good as the others. I'd buy one. I just wish the barrel was treated with Melonite or chome lined. Otherwise, it looks like a good build.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Just mounted a vortex spitfire II on my AR556, here's a target with 14 holes in it from 50 yards after I did a 5 shot sight in.

Might not be impressive for most, but for me it is. I've got extremely bad eye sight and typically want a scope. I also typically shoot left handed, but with this vortex, I shot right handed simply because when viewing the dot with my left eye, the dot was oblong, and it was rather round with my right eye (without glasses I can't see the letter E on the eye chart). With my glasses I can make out the red center of the target, but when viewing through the spitfire II, the red dot pretty much covered the entire black circle so I was just trying to hold plumb and level with the cross hatch I could see on the target.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
^Vortex Spitfire I or II is a good addition. I have a spare Spitfire II waiting to be mounted. It's a reliable optic and affordable!

1 - 20 of 139 Posts