Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a .22 Pistol to play around with at the range. Already got the OK from the wife. :D

Suggestions and what to look for?

I own a SR9C and Firestorm .380

·
Registered
678 Posts
Glad you clarifed CFO aproval so we know you're not a poser. :)

You can't go wrong with a Ruger Mark. I suggest a 5.5 bull barrel as an all around pistol. It's short enough to carry easily for plinking and the heavy barrel is good for the range.

Remember the hunt is half the fun so look at a lot of pistols before you buy. Once you buy you have no more excuses to look without making the CFO uneasy.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
I like my bull barrel (that's the Target Model) just fine.

If an SA revolver is a possibility, check out Bearcats. Small, light, lots of fun. Fixed sights, though.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I own a MKII and a Bearcat- both very good guns.
I learned to shoot a handgun with my Dad's Single Six, which was a good gun too.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
You said pistol, so I figure you aren't looking for a revolver...too bad,

since at the top of my suggestion list would be

1. Taurus 990 9 shot DA SS 4" barrel Revolver

Then come the two pistols.
2. Ruger Mark III target barrel
3. S & W 22A

I like shooting the S&W better than the Ruger only due to my shaky hands and the weight difference in the two...Ruger is much heavier... Both do the job.

If someone says we going to shoot spinners from the back porch/deck, I reach for the revolver.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
If you are looking for a semi-auto pistol, probably a Ruger Mark II or Mark III would make you happy. I have a vintage Mark I

If you like revolvers, perhaps a Ruger Single Six or Single Ten, they are single action only... I have the Single Ten.

Another revolver option, one I have been thinking about, is the double action SP101 in 22LR. It holds 8 shots.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Another nod here for any of the Mark series. I have a Mark III Target model and love it. I also have an SP101 8 shot 22 that I love even more.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you don't need to get a ruger the Sig Mosquito is nice but picky on ammo and takes a little while to break in. After that its great.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Or you can buy an SR22P and have one helluva lot of fun while still getting pretty good groups (but not as good as the others).

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have a MKIII Target in stainless. Awesome gun, super reliable, and not ammo picky.

I've shot the SR22P and while it's ok, it's not for me. A little small for my taste and like the weight of the MKIII better.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Very recently, I bought a 22/45, and it worked great, but had I known beforehand what a pain they are to field strip, I'd have left it alone! No disrespect intended to you 22/45 fans intended; that's just me. Anyhow, I got rid of it, and bought a S&W M&P .22 to replace it. Love it, no problems. If you like SA revolvers, I also can highly recommend the Ruger Single Six.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One issue is weight, my wife can't hold heavier guns up for too long. We were considering the 22/45 lite

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
One issue is weight, my wife can't hold heavier guns up for too long. We were considering the 22/45 lite
Of course, this can be a bit subjective, but I find the polymer-framed M&P .22 I mentioned to be very lightweight. Give it a look.:)

·
Registered
571 Posts
I see you have a Firestorm 380. I would suggest a Bersa Thunder 22. before anyone balks at my suggestion, I own several nice 22 semi autos. Browning Buckmark, Beretta 70s in 22, Ruger Mk II bull barrel. All very good firearms, but I just bought a Bersa Thunder 22 on a whim last month. It is a well made, fine shooting gun. I fed it CCI mini mags and Remington Bulk Golden ammo. No issues at all. They are relatively inexpensive to buy. Got mine for $283 delivered to my dealer from Impactguns.com
Highly recommend giving it a look, you wont be sorry you dis.
JMHO,
TJ

1 - 20 of 25 Posts