Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
got a buddy that bought one of the take down Ruger 10-22's... we are looking for a base if there is one already made, that will replace the barrel mounted rear sight, for use with a long eye relief scope... thinking it would be more accurate with the barrel mounted scope, than a receiver mounted scope, with the take down design...

I see Volk. has a barrel mount for their heavy barrel... I don't think the take down was a heavy barrel... but we are thinking about drilling & tapping the barrel for a scope base...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW... I e-mailed Ruger yesterday, asking if they offered a base for the barrel of their take down rifle, or knew of an aftermarket base... they replied 1st thing this morning ( very good reply time ) but unfortunately don't currently offer one, or know of any aftermarket manufacturer that does...

·
Registered
151 Posts
The nut has a trapezoidal shape that fits in the dovetail. It may require some filing; I filed the nut, not the dovetail.

It works well on my old Winchester. There's only one screw holding it, but it handles .22 recoil just fine. I don't think I'd trust it with something much bigger.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the reply... what are you using for a scope ??? we were thinking a 2-7 handgun scope ( which aren't usually too big )

·
Registered
151 Posts
thanks for the reply... what are you using for a scope ??? we were thinking a 2-7 handgun scope ( which aren't usually too big )
Originally, I used a 1.5 power pistol scope. It was very handy and fast.

Close-up of the Mount:

When I realized the accuracy potential of the rifle, I mounted a long 6-21X42 parallax adjustable scope using two rings forward of the turrets. The scope is long enough for me to slide it back over the action and get proper eye relief. It looks odd, but it works.

I would think a 2-7 pistol scope would be just about perfect. You might need to turn the mount to move it farther forward to get the proper eye relief. If you need even more distance, you could probably get away with using only one ring to mount the scope. A .22 doesn't recoil that much.

Let us know how it works.

·
Registered
774 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that looks just like what we were looking for... thanks for the link

we did take the old mount from my 10-22 & will see if the point of aim stays, with taking the barrel off & on several times...

butt I think over the life of the gun, a barrel mount would prove to hold aim, without futzing with it at all

·
Registered
7 Posts
that looks just like what we were looking for... thanks for the link

we did take the old mount from my 10-22 & will see if the point of aim stays, with taking the barrel off & on several times...

butt I think over the life of the gun, a barrel mount would prove to hold aim, without futzing with it at all
hey how did you like it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts