Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title pretty much says it all. Been looking for a brass grip frame for a while but haven't been having any luck. Can't seem to find a reputable aftermarket maker or a factory frame anywhere. Any thoughts or comments would be helpful.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Don't believe anyone's making aftermarket ones now. Occasionally a few appear on eBay. Some were good, others, not so much. The factory ones will command prices in the $300 range when found. Keep your eyes open here but more so on the other RugerForum. Again, eBay occasionally too.
I had 5 or 6 aftermarket ones - dragoon style. Sold 'em a couple years ago. Was getting $150 each I recall. One factory one remains on the shelf and will stay there.
Unless you really need the brass material, you could always brass plate a steel one.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, BlkHawk, lot's of good info to digest. Never thought about plating, but that's certainly a possibility.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Title pretty much says it all. Been looking for a brass grip frame for a while but haven't been having any luck. Can't seem to find a reputable aftermarket maker or a factory frame anywhere. Any thoughts or comments would be helpful.
There's a brass birdshead on GB, but it's kinda pricey.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts

Have one of those here waiting to go on a Single Six .32 mag. Hard to believe that one will go at such an starting bid amount even with the grips. (not exactly "custom" in my opinion - just plain walnut) but hey, maybe mine just might hit the auction block if so. Also a neat little brass Bisley grip frame still here awaiting it's host.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Not quite ready to put a birdshead on a 6 1/2" Blackhawk. :) ( now if it were a 3" or 4"...... ;) ) And your are correct in that it's pretty pricey. I'm an old retired geezer livin' on Social Security............which "ain't" much! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
What might that "host" have to part with for that brass Bisley?

Not quite sure yet. Have one on a 6 1/2" .357 BH already so thinking probably a 7 1/2" in 45Colt most likely is what this brass Bisley will end up on. I can say that if one isn't ready to spend what that brass birdseed is tagged at, they likely aren't ready for a brass Bisley one. ;)

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
You're good to go then. :) Don't forget about the little pieces. The Bisley grip frames uses the hex head screws in the upper "ears". Would also need the trigger spring retaining pin and the grip locator pin.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Knew about the screws............didn't know about the trigger spring retaining pin and the grip locator pin. I'll have to remember that if I decide to go that direction. For now, I'm probably going to keep the plow handle and just go with brass. Now if I could just find that elusive $50 brass frame guys tell me the stumbled onto.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Flat tops are the smaller mid-sized frame, no? Did they make brass grip frames for the .357 frame back in the day? I doubt any new brass frames exist.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You've got me there, Straightwall. I have no idea. Hope someone who knows pipes up because I don't want to be going on a wild goose chase trying to find something that doesn't exist.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Be it the Single Six frame, the medium sized frame flattops and New Vaquero or the large frame of the Blackhawks, the grips frames all interchange.

·
Registered
158 Posts
A debilitating mental and emotional obsession.
The only comfort is to keep a Ruger with in reach at ALL times.
Midway had a ad for a brass gripframe...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts