Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up forum? Looking for a lighter concealed gun. as the warmer months are coming. Been looking at the lc9s. Most of the reviews i've seen are pretty good,but I have seen some negatives reviews about not feeding hollow points.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
First off, allow me to welcome you to the forum. If you are anything like me, you will enjoy the time spent here.

My CCW is a Taurus 709 Slim in 9mm. I like it very much. I've had no issues with it, at all. I like it so much, in fact, that I recently bought a second one. It fits very easily into a pocket. I use a Sticky Holster and drop it into my front pocket and forget about it. I found both of mine brand new on GunBroker for under $200. Just be patient and diligent and one will come along.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the response. I currently carry the XD subcompact, but it gets a little heavy with shorts or sweat pants on. I will check out the Taurus.

Thanks

·
Registered
278 Posts
Not sure what you're into, but small and light can sometimes create control issues or be flat out painful. Not too long ago, there was some discussion here about the LC9 series and hand banging in/on the trigger guard. Might search around here a bit.

If you're looking for a hammer fired sub-compact the Beretta storm has good reviews: Px4 Storm SubCompact

But if small and lite are your goals, the Nano might have that, but alas, it's striker fired: BU9 Nano

·
Registered
75 Posts
In the warmer months, I find myself pocket carrying a .357 LCR loaded with 38+P quite often.

I had a LC9. I just didn't care for it.

Good Luck

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
For pocket carry with 9mm I would suggest a Kahr CW9 very good gun great trigger pull. The LC9 & Taurus 709 Slim both are about the same weight and size of 19 ounces. Not much lighter then your XD Compact. But single stack magazine, helps. There is always the Sig 938 9mm or the Sig P238 .380 but a caliber change. So much depends on what caliber you are going to stick with 9mm then I have named several. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Whats up forum? Looking for a lighter concealed gun. as the warmer months are coming. Been looking at the lc9s. Most of the reviews i've seen are pretty good,but I have seen some negatives reviews about not feeding hollow points.

Any thoughts would be helpful.
I have tried several carry guns over the years, but keep returning to my S&W J frame 38. No feeding problems.:)
Now I understand this is a Ruger forum, a Ruger, or any other high quality revolver would suffice .

Bill

·
Registered
765 Posts
For lightweight pistols I currently have the LC9s and the Kahr CT380. Both are comfortable either on the hip or in the front pocket. The Kahr is shorter and thinner than the LC9s. Capacity is 7+1 for each but the LC9s has an extended mag. with 9 rd. capacity. I thoroughly enjoy both of them. Weight is 17.2 oz. for the 9 and 11.44 oz for the 380.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My S&W M340PD lives 24/7 in my left front pants pocket. In a holster of course. It is usually my backup to a primary carry revolver or Glock. I'm right handed, and I always put a cylinder of full power Magnums through it left hand only whenever I shoot it. I'll be honest, at 11 ounces it is painful to shoot. But I'll bet it hurts a lot worse on the other end.:eek:
I hardly remember it's there.
Jim

·
Registered
838 Posts
I carry the SR40c most of the year, but when it is warm out and the SR is to heavy and bulky i switch to th LC9. I have found the LC9 to be pleasant to carry in almost any situation and it has run flawlessly on every brand and type of ammo. Might try a LC9x this summer for an improved trigger. Have found the M&P Shield and Bodyguard .380 great for summer carry also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Although I have a new LC9s that I like, I also have a Kahr CM9 that is smaller and lighter than the LC9s, the Kahr CW9 or the Taurus 709 slim. That was the main reason I bought the CM9

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
S&W 442 pro; J-frame, airweight, hammerless, and some +P 38s.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,088 Posts
Well, I have carried the lcp first generation for many years as my primary cc. I like its small size but decent punch of the 380acp. With 7 rounds and I carry an extra magazine, I hardly notice I am wearing it sometimes. My wife also carries the same with a crimson trace laser. I think the best improvement I made to it was the heavier wolff recoil spring....maybe 14 or 15 lb best I remember and hogue grip I added to them. The recalibration kit they sell for $15 allows you to tailor the lcp to your specifications. The hogue grip really helps with the control, and accuracy since you get a better purchase on the gun. I also run the pearce finger shelfs on my magazines.

Recently I was drawn to the glock 42 as I needed a second gun capable of ccw. I really like the ability to add the henie straight 8 night sights, the +1 pearce magazine extension brings the total capacity to 8 rounds, and the pistol is accurate out to 25 yards. I have had no issues with ammo in it either. I own a glock 19 gen 4 and the 42 feels very similiar just smaller, but larger than the lcp. The added size and mag extension with finger shelf make it very controllable. In comparison the lcp is lighter, and more compact, but I have no issues carrying either. The better sights of the g42 are definately easier to aim with. Both are silhouette drillers out to 25 yards with practice, which qualifys them as a ccw for my uses.

I also owned the hammerless lcr in 38 special first generation, and I could not get used to the long trigger pull. It was a nice gun, had a crimson trace laser, but I could never get used to the trigger pull, so it got traded. Now I do like the newer hammered version thats sa/da, if that would have been available from the start, I would have bought and kept it.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Everyone is different and what works for one person may not work for another.
I will say that with the advent of very small, locked breach 9mm pistols the options are much different than they were 20 years ago.

The Kahr pistols are well made and well proven, One of the small 9mm polymer framed Kahr's would be at the top of my list if I was seeking a pistol.

On the revolver side of the page there are some excellent guns available as well. The snubnose, DAO, lightweight revolver chambered in 38 Special is still an extremely useful self-defense tool. There are several guns that fit that criteria such as: the S&W 442 and the Ruger LCR. If you want to go really lightweight there is the S&W 342PD. I will say that the concealed hammer, lightweight DAO S&W J-frames are very well suited for pocket carry in an appropriate pocket holster.

I am strongly opposed to hammer spurs on snubnose revolvers but that's a discussion for other threads.

Good Luck !

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
My LC9sPro is in my pocket as I write this, at home. I have ZERO concerns about its reliability. I reload, and I have tried every load imaginable (in the Lyman manual) to determine how reliable the semi-auto is. (unlike the Kimber Solo) Even when I deliberately limp-wristed 90 grain low velocity loads in it, it functioned flawlessly. I say to go with the Pro, if one is comfy with no safety and no mag interlock.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the LC9s. I have put 1,000 rounds through it without any problems. The pocket carry option is with cargo pockets otherwise I find it too big for pocket carry. I 4:00 owb carry it in a DeSantis scabbard holster. Keeps it high and tight with a good gun belt. I highly recommend this as a gun you should try, if you have no fired it yet. I did put TruGlo sight on front and back. Love them. With regard to hollow point ammo problems I have read some complaints also. i carry Gold Dot or HST hollow points. Have shot several hundred rounds in total without any problems.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My LC9s Pro has been my EDC for nearly a year and has performed very well. Every time I go to the range (1-2X mo.), no matter what else I'm shooting, I will put 50 rounds thru it including my 2 carry mags of Federal HST 124 gr. hollow points and I have never had a problem.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have read the same comments about the LC9s and hollow points online. My experience: I have put 200 rounds of Winchester +P Defender 124 grain hollow points thru my LC9s without a failure. It's snappy but zero failures - not one. I trust it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts