Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new 45acp but not sure what to get. I don't need another range gun or home defense/ccw, just an accurate reliable gun that i can rely on when i need that extra thump :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
My Springfield XDM has been a solid .45 acp and takes 13 or 9 rd magazines. It has a match grade barrel and came with a couple of different sized grip panels to make it more comfy if you have larger or smaller hands. Points very naturally too. I don't know what restrictions look like where you're at as far as mag capacity. I would love to get my hands on a Night Watchman like cmcgehee posted, though.

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
Sig P220

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well, as SIG, XD, and 1911s have been suggested (all good options), let me throw a few more out there:

I've found them all to be "an accurate reliable gun that i can rely on when i need that extra thump":)

Revolvers would also fit that description. I'm sorry to say I don't have one at the moment (do have some in 45 Colt) and really regret letting my last one (S&W 1917) go:

Regards,
Greg

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Im not sure what your actually looking for, but my Kahr CM45 and CW45 have been excellent. The CM is the smallest, The CW is the next size up, and Kahr also makes a CT45 that is the largest of the three. The CM holds 5+1, the CW is 6+1, the CT is 7+1. They are low cost, and very well made. I am impressed with the offerings from Kahr, so much so, that I bought 2 of the 9s also, the CM9 and the CW9. I paid $315 each, except for the CM9, it was $332.

I also recommend the FNX-45. Its pricey at around $700, but I think its one of the best 45s available. It also has the highest capacity of any 45 with factory standard mags, 15+1. I have over 1,000 rounds through mine now, and its been 100% perfectly reliable. Its soft shooting, and made in the USA.

·
Registered
189 Posts
While shopping for my GP100 last month I took the opportunity to handle 3 new 1911's in .45ACP.

The sloppiest slide to frame fit was with the most expensive one which was a Colt. I wasn't real impressed with it at all.
Second was the Ruger 1911. It was OK, but still had a fairly loose fitting slide and so so trigger pull.
The last one was the Remington R1. The slide had zero wobble on the frame rails and the trigger felt like it had been worked over by a good pistolsmith. This gun was also the least expensive of the three, but the Ruger was only a few dollars more.
My vote would be for trying out an R1.

·
Cat Herder
1,656 Posts
While shopping for my GP100 last month I took the opportunity to handle 3 new 1911's in .45ACP.

The sloppiest slide to frame fit was with the most expensive one which was a Colt. I wasn't real impressed with it at all.
Second was the Ruger 1911. It was OK, but still had a fairly loose fitting slide and so so trigger pull.
The last one was the Remington R1. The slide had zero wobble on the frame rails and the trigger felt like it had been worked over by a good pistolsmith. This gun was also the least expensive of the three, but the Ruger was only a few dollars more.
My vote would be for trying out an R1.
I had a Remington R1, wasn't fond of it, but it has been my only 1911 so I can't compare it to the others. The finish wasn't that great on mine, it was blued and had a few places that almost had an orange peel like look. I traded a PT92 for it (which I regretted and have since purchased another) and ended up trading the R1 for a GP100.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts