Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello All,

I'm new to the forum but have been a long time fan of Ruger. I recently bought a Red Label All Weather and the synthetic furniture is in kinda rough shape. I'm looking for a factory wood stock set.

could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Russell

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Hey Russell - welcome to the forum. Have you contacted Ruger directly yet? In another recent thread the OP recently had Ruger fit a new forearm which suggests they still have some stock parts. Perhaps they have a complete set? Worth a call to find out if you haven't already.

There are custom stock options too but that can get rather pricey....

Wave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, Waveform. I've tried to call Ruger 3 times. The first time, I left a message and didn't get a call back. The second time, I got tired of waiting after almost 30 minutes on hold. The 3rd time, I spoke to a service rep. He looked up the gun and said that because a wood stock was never available for that particular gun, they would not install a wood stock set for me. Honestly, I wasn't all that impressed with Ruger's customer service.

I've looked at macon, but it got kinda pricey once I figured in fitting, checkering, and finishing. So, here I am trying to see if there's a cheaper option.

Thanks again,

Russell

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I've called Ruger CS a few times myself and have some good experiences and some less so. It depends on who you get I guess. I would have assumed the wood and synthetic stock components were interchangeable but maybe not? Would they be able to replace the synthetic stock with another synthetic stock I wonder? Might be a better option with the SS hardware. My impression is there is a following for the All Weather as a great waterfowl gun and some of that may be lost with wood furniture. You might have better luck trading your All Weather for a standard model with someone who wants an All Weather. It's hard to imagine someone having a spare set of wood on hand but I guess you never know until you ask.

Custom stock work is going to eclipse the value of the gun I'm afraid.

Good luck in your quest.

Wave

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
there was a red label fore end, and i think maybe a stock too on ebay. i'd haunt ebay for a bit-- stuff comes up there a lot.

·
Registered
325 Posts
...He looked up the gun and said that because a wood stock was never available for that particular gun, they would not install a wood stock set for me. Honestly, I wasn't all that impressed with Ruger's customer service.

Russell
Ruger pretty much never replaces parts from one model to a different model. Other than the having to cobble something on to another that it wasn't made for you would then have a factory rarity. You won't find a company with a better service on what they have created. Maybe not so much on what you wish to create. That being said here is a set for a 20ga.:

Ruger Red Label Stock Set - 20 ga. Old Style - New : Other Shotguns at GunBroker.com

Here is a place for a 12ga unfinished buttstock:

RUGER RED LABEL 12GA STOCK WALNUT(SEMI-INLET)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. I understand Ruger not wanting to "cobble" something together. I had just seen another Red Label All Weather with a wood stock and thought it looked great. The owner said he had sent it back to Ruger to have it done. He had no reason to lie to me, so I don't think he was.

All that being said, I have found a wood stock and forearm, and I am going to have my local smith fit it for me. It may be a little while, but I'll post pictures when it's done if anyone cares to see it.

Thanks again,
Russell

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Great to hear! Is it an original Red Label set of furniture or an aftermarket? Looking forward to seeing the outcome. Should be a striking and unique looking Red Label.

·
Registered
325 Posts
... I had just seen another Red Label All Weather with a wood stock and thought it looked great. The owner said he had sent it back to Ruger to have it done. He had no reason to lie to me, so I don't think he was.

Thanks again,
Russell
Then I stand corrected. The ONLY incident I had ever heard was a member on another Ruger forum that had written permission from Bill Ruger to get Alex Henry forearms installed on his #1's. Not sure of the exact reason for it but I seem to remember something about medical reasons.

Make sure you post some pics...please.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Waveform,

It is a factory wood stock and foreend. I found it on another forum. Hopefully, I'll be receiving it soon and I'll post some pics.

Thanks again
Russell

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Waveform,

It is a factory wood stock and foreend. I found it on another forum. Hopefully, I'll be receiving it soon and I'll post some pics.

Thanks again
Russell
That's even better - original wood! I can't wait to see the pictures. Never seen that combination before.

Wave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts