Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,546 Posts
Now, that would be a great choice for a 2nd 9 after the SR9.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
My 2 cents! I have heard of a lot of issues with Hi Power Autos. Not sure if it was older ones or not! SO I did not buy the Hi Power 9mm I picked up a Smith and Wesson Shield single stack for CCW &339.00 ! So if your looking for a small CCW that is a GREAT reliable gun as is the S&W M&P line

·
Super Moderator
16,338 Posts
I have an SR9. Time for another 9. Thinking Hi Power. They really fit my hand. Thoughts?
Lyle
A Hi-power or a CZ 75b are both great choices IMHO. However, be prepared for the likelihood that the purchase of either will force your SR9 to spend a great deal of extra time waiting for some range time ;).

·
Registered
185 Posts
Another shout out for the CZ.
Or a Tristar (Canik). They are probably the closest CZ clone out there, and can be customized, almost as much as a CZ.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Are there any other Ruger 9's that will allow you to use your existing mags and other accessories?
I have mags that fit in several different Glock models. That is convenient!
Of course, you just may want a different brand or type.
In that case, try a 9mm 1911, CZ 75, any DA/SA Sig.
I have to say, CZ's and Sigs seem to very accurate handguns, for some unknown (to me) reason. They are natural tack drivers, right out of the box.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I've found the Glock 26 to be very similar to my SR9C. Both are good shooters but the trigger on the Glock is just a little better.

·
Banned
650 Posts
I really like the Browning Hi Power, it is a lot of fun at the range. But at the range is where the fun stops. Compared to a G17 a Hi Power is huge. A G17 is a full size duty pistol. The Hi Power is heavy. There are a bunch of well made 45 acp 1911 pistols that are lighter. The Hi Power is hard to carry, everything about the Hi Power is sharp and uncomfortable. The Hi Power was meant to be carried in a military holster with a dust cover. A Hi Power is a gun that one should add to their collection but not as a second gun. The Israeli models suck compared to the Hi Power made by Browning in Belgium or Canada. There are other Hi Power variants made in South America and other countries that are of dubious quality and they have no resale value. If you want to sell a Browning Hi Power you can expect to recover your money.

Your second pistol should be a pistol to fill a gap in your self defense needs. If you want a full size pistol I would look at a pistol with at least a 17 + 1 capacity. A pistol that is light enough to carry without wearing suspenders. Something you can find accessories and night sights on a budget.

If you are determined to get a Hi Power this article will help you purchase a gun that is collectible.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browning_Hi-Power

If the Hi Power fits your hand one of these should fit your hand very well. A Glock that suits your needs or this S&W. For $550 you can get a Glock of your choice equipped with a front night sight and an adjustable rear sight. When I bought my Glock I borrowed every popular pistol under the sun. I didn't want a Glock. But the only pistol I scored higher with was a Beretta 92fs. The 92fs is just to big and heavy for me to conceal every day. I ended up buying a G19 even though in the beginning it was the last pistol on my list. You cannot argue with high match scores.
M&P pro with a 5" barrel
http://grabagun.com/s-w-m-p-9mm-5-bl-pro-series-17rd.html

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
CZ's are also great 9's!
If you can, try both the HiPower and a CZ75. I give the edge to the CZ (DA/SA trigger and better ergonomics).

An alternative to the real Czech CZ75 that sometimes shows up at a good price is the Tanfoglio Witness. A friend of mine has a Witness Elite Match 9mm and it is a fine target pistol.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have a 1960's Belgian vintage BHP but for me, it's a safe queen. It's just too heavy for a 9mm pistol and while it may be a classic, it doesn't get out much.

I read constant Internet griping about the S&W Sigma in 9mm and .40 cal. so I decided to get one and try it out. Sure enough, it suited me so well that several more followed me home. That pistol is probably one of the best values on the market today!

I started out with 1911 pistols and heard every possible negative remark about Glock Pistols.......... until I got my first one. They suited me just fine. The Models 17, 19, 26 are all winners in 9mm.

I'm also a great fan of the Ruger "P" series pistols. The early models are big and heavy, but for my giant hands, they are perfect. The quality is first class. The P-95 was put on a diet and reduced in size. That P-95 slide runs on the Poly frame rails with no metal contact. Still, the life expectancy of that pistol is impressive!

Those are my "hands on" recommendations.

Flash

·
Registered
169 Posts
Another vote for CZ.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I read constant Internet griping about the S&W Sigma in 9mm and .40 cal. so I decided to get one and try it out. Sure enough, it suited me so well that several more followed me home. That pistol is probably one of the best values on the market today!
I have to agree, my Sigma (40 S&W) is a great pistol. The (often complained about) trigger is very revolver like. But it lightens and smooths out after time and shooting. It fits my hand better than any other pistol, being equal only to my newly acquired S&W 39 and 39-2 pistols.
That said, the newer (but still discontinued...I believe) SD pistol line has a much better trigger to begin with. I could recommend either, but I would look for a $250 SD 9.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,546 Posts
CZs are less pricey than Hi-Powers too. I love my 75B.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have an SR9. Time for another 9. Thinking Hi Power. They really fit my hand. Thoughts?
Lyle
I'm having the same thoughts myself. I'd like to have just one 9mm for range fun. No polymer frames. Steel or Aluminum only. A few handguns came to mind.

Browning Hi-Power - Classic. Ticks off all the right boxes right until I get one in hand. I find the trigger to be awful. Like anything else, the trigger can be addressed with time and money.

CZ75 B Matte Stainless - Timeless design. Some consider it to be an evolutionary step of the Browning Hi-Power. Matte Stainless + a set of CZ wood grips makes for a beautiful BBQ pistol. When I get it in hand, I fall in love. Pressing the trigger either dry fire or live fire, DA or SA, I fall right out of love with it. As stated above, the trigger can be addressed with some time, money, and a trip to Cajun Gun Works.

Beretta 92 Inox Vertec - Another 20th century classic. To me it's an evolution of the Walther P38/P1. It looks perfect. The falling locking block system and open slide make it different from Browning type pistols. DA/SA trigger leaves something to be desired. Awkward safety/decocker position on the slide. The shortcomings can be addressed with time, money, and a trip to Wilson Combat.​

At this point, I started to become dismayed. Most of the handguns I consider would require additional work. I want a decent metal framed, full size, semi-auto 9mm that is good to go right out of the box. Because I never enjoyed 1911's chambered for .45 ACP (former SR1911 owner), I omitted 1911's chambered in 9mm.

Because I was out of options I was willing to consider, I rented a Springfield Range Officer 1911 full size, chambered in 9mm. I put out a target to 7 yards. I concentrated more on feel in the hand, trigger feel, perceived recoil impulse. I then tried to calibrate my brain to the sights. Not my best shooting:

Target sights, good trigger, flawless operation, good build quality. I perceived the recoil to be softer than any other 9mm pistol I've fired. I perceived minimal muzzle flip. The Springfield Range Officer 1911 9mm one of two pistols which I am considering to buy.

I'd have bought the SRO 1911 9mm, but I also rented a S&W 629 6" .44 Mag.

If you have not tried out a SRO 1911 9mm, I highly suggest it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts