Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for a decent shotgun that I can use for hunting as well as HD/SD. I want something with optional barrel lengths/gauges where I can change to a shorter barrel/gauge or pistol grip if I want to use for HD, and have a longer one for hunting. I don't want to buy an all black, or tactical shotgun strictly for SD/HD only.

I seen that Mossberg has something like this, but when I went on their website I couldn't find any specific models that stated they came with extra barrels or pistol grips. Their accessories page didn't seem to help much either, but I know they have them. Somebody needs to improve the userfriendlyness of their website!

Can anyone point to the specific model that has what I want? What about the Remington 870 Express? Having a pistol grip isn't all important but optional barrel lengths/gauges are.

·
Registered
342 Posts
mossberg is famous for interchangable bbls. it is by far your best choice for making a transformer shotgun. bbl selection is by far uncountable.
the famous model 500 is the benchmark. new ones now are out there. i dont follow them enough to memorize the names.
i would stay away from pistol grips. they are more a fad than worthwhile.
shotguns are suppose to be pointed, not aimed. pistol grips are for aiming, and boy do they kick.
shotguns are like shoes, you must have more than one kind if you plan on running, dancing, playing football, etc....
to attempt a do all gun normally causes you do make compromise in areas that you cant afford to lose.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
17,444 Posts
An 870 is tough to beat. I would stay away from the pistol grip too, unless you are planing on wheeling it around in a pickup cab or something.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The field/HD combos seem to be something not in the normal Mossberg catalog, but something they put together for the big retailers like Dick's, Big 5, Walmart, etc.
I was shopping for a Remington, and got a great deal on a used Mossberg. I'm happy with the standard stock.

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
The big three Winchester 1300,Remington 870,or a good Mossberg.
Currently i own a Winchester 1300 and a 18.5" Mossberg 930,an Ithaca m37 and a Miroku O/U and have owned several 870s all will do the job that you require (withthe exception of the Miroku its for clays and upland game),pick the one that "throws" and fits you the best....fit is critical to a shotgun.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a Mossberg 500 tactical version. It is awesome! Adjustable rear stock makes it easy for just about anyone to use. And it also has a plastic device that holds 5 shells on the adjustable stock. I will be adding a forward grip with led light. And maybe a red dot. My son thinks it needs a red dot scope, but i really dont see the purpose.
I got mine used at Cabelas for less than $300. And every time i go back there, I find more shotguns that I want!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have the 12 guage Mossberg 500 with 2 barrels which suits my needs for hunting and HD. I went with a olive polymer stock and black matte barrel. I have one for birding and clays (28" vent ribbed with low light sight)and one for deer (rifled slug barrel). A while back ago I needed to sell off my guns but wanted an all around gun on the cheap and this one fit the bill for only a couple hundred new. I still have it 15 years later and has never given me any issues. A 12 guage is very common size and with the right load selection can pretty much do whatever you want. Hope this helps a little. Good luck.

Something like this would probably work for you. About $375.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
mossberg is famous for interchangable bbls. it is by far your best choice for making a transformer shotgun. bbl selection is by far uncountable.
the famous model 500 is the benchmark. new ones now are out there. i dont follow them enough to memorize the names.
i would stay away from pistol grips. they are more a fad than worthwhile.
shotguns are suppose to be pointed, not aimed. pistol grips are for aiming, and boy do they kick.
shotguns are like shoes, you must have more than one kind if you plan on running, dancing, playing football, etc....
to attempt a do all gun normally causes you do make compromise in areas that you cant afford to lose.
hope this helps.
+1 Mossberg 500 is the way to go for what you describe.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,459 Posts
You can buy any good shotgun and then buy different length barrels or rifled barrels for it. The Mossberg 500 is a good starting point. They make a Model 500 Field / Security Combo with both an 18.5" and a 28" barrel for around $350.

If I were looking for one really nice semi-auto shotgun for everything, I would look at the FNH SLP with the 22" barrel. They are going for around $1,000.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Find used 3" 12 ga. Remington 870 w choke tubes and then get an 18" IC Police barrel. A place in MI has them in stock. I can find the name of it later. An used 12 or 20 ga Express combo ould be fantastic. (Bought mine in '90: 28" VR Remchoke and 20" IC w rifle sights)

Unfortunately the last I looked Remington's Express combos all seemed to have rifled slug barrels. I hope I'm wrong

·
Administrator
23,022 Posts
I own an 870 Supermag and it has been a fine shotgun for me. I use it for hunting and it has taken it's share of ducks and turkeys. For SD I would look at a standard 2 3/4"-3" 870 as the BBL options are more numerous for it.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I say you can't go wrong with either a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I've got an old 870 combo with a 28" VRB and a short smooth bore slug barrel. The slug barrel has rifle sights on it and is perfect for SD. It also cuts clover leaf groups with foster slugs at 50 yards. I picked up a mossy 835 from a friend for turkey with a 20" VRB and a rifled slug barrel complete with Nikon scope, I've never even fired a slug thru it. My 870 is still my go-to slug gun.

·
Registered
164 Posts
the winchester sxp its the fastest pump shotgun in the west

·
Registered
12,851 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have a 12 ga. Remington 870 Super Magnum. 18.5" barrel w/ a cylinder choke for home defense, & a 26" barrel for turkey, etc. I've also killed deer w/ the latter barrel using a screw-in rifled choke. Barrel changes are incredible easy, as are choke changes. I'd like to get a fully rifled barrel w/ rifle sights to round out the collection, as slug hunting is kinda fun, but that's neither here nor there. In answer to your question, I recommend the Remington.

·
Banned
163 Posts
I killed a lot of different animals with my Mossberg 500 in 12 guage. Hit the slide release, ease the bolt back from the face of the receiver about 1/4 inch or so, unscrew the tube nut and the barrel comes off. You can change barrels in 20 seconds. Gun has never failed to fire or feed, and you can get multiple barrel selection. I have the slug barrel and a 29 inch upland game barrel, modified choke I think. Mossberg is the Chevrolet of guns and is MADE IN AMERICA!

Reb

1 - 20 of 24 Posts