Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 rifles m77 and ruger american all weather are about that same length 42.5 inches on the all weather my trunk space is about 47 inches by 12 inches I want a case that would fit that laying down.
Anyone know where I might find one that isn't $300?!?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Not sure what you are wanting. A hard case that will hold several rifles ? There are lots of cases that are under 47 inches if a soft case will do. Most hard cases seem to be from 53 to 56 inches long. There are lots of "Tactical" hard cases meant for AR's that are around 42 to 44 inches long, but they might be barely long enough for your M77's.
Check Midway USA or Brownell's, or go down to a Cabela's or Sportsman's Warehouse if there is one near you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what you are wanting. A hard case that will hold several rifles ? There are lots of cases that are under 47 inches if a soft case will do. Most hard cases seem to be from 53 to 56 inches long. There are lots of "Tactical" hard cases meant for AR's that are around 42 to 44 inches long, but they might be barely long enough for your M77's.
Check Midway USA or Brownell's, or go down to a Cabela's or Sportsman's Warehouse if there is one near you.
Thanks for your reply, I guess I should have been more clear.
A few hard cases preferably was what I was looking for, a little more protection while being in my trunk. As you mentioned most of the hard cases I have found are just too large, or the couple I have found are from Plano and seem very very cheap.
I wonder if I should just but the cheap feeling Plano for $85 each and hope for the best.
Found one from Plano for $25 but after putting a scoped rifle in it and closing the case at the store you could feel the rifle bulging from inside the case.
Soft Allen cases are my next bet, but they don't seem to have much in the way of protection from Babington around in a trunk.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,217 Posts
I recently bought a Plano "all weather tactical" case ($61 from Amazon) and they have REALLY upped their game in terms of quality. It's not quite up there with Pelican, but darn close.

That particular model may be shorter than you need but the point is, Plano are no longer just really flimsy plastic shells. They do make very heavy stuff with the "pluck and pull" customization type foam.

Here's the link. Don't know which Plano you're looking at but this one is definitely not flimsy.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E221A88?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I can't see how the $200, $300 and $400 dollar cases are that much better than the cheap cases. If I was doing a lot of flying to South Africa with my $30,000 Holland and Holland double rifle, then, yes I'd want a nice case. Airport baggage handlers can be rough with things.
I have a couple of these from Brownell's, they are $22, and they work fine.
They are hard plastic on the outside, foam lining on the inside, just like the high dollar ones. Only thing, the foam is not attached to the shell, I had to glue the foam in on mine.
http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/gun-storage/gun-cases/single-rifle-case-prod41076.aspx

·
Super Moderator
21,868 Posts
I went downstairs and measured my two hard side ones and they are both about 49 1/2" to 50". If you can't kitty corner them in there then the only answer is to get a new vehicle. :p Or you could make one out of wood and put in your own foam.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts