Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Team Ruger -
Hey, I have a curiosity of sorts. Looking to learn how far back the contemporary gun manufacturers - Marlin, Ruger, Remington, Winchester, Rossi, etc. - began cranking out lever action carbines in .357/.38. Anyone have some history on this subject?

I wonder if gun makers began doing the modern pistol caliber lever rifles any earlier than the late '70s.

thanks Adam

·
Super Moderator
4,085 Posts
Uberti started making replica old west firearms in 1959 but I don't know when they produced their first 1873 rifle clone chambered in 357.

·
Registered
4 Posts
According to "The Standard Catalog of Firearms" the Marlin 1894CS in 38spl/357Mag was first manufactured in 1969. Originally Marlin sold a 336 in 44Mag but discontinued it due to feed problems with the long action feeding pistol caliber cartridges.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
.357 1894cs

According to "The Standard Catalog of Firearms" the Marlin 1894CS in 38spl/357Mag was first manufactured in 1969. Originally Marlin sold a 336 in 44Mag but discontinued it due to feed problems with the long action feeding pistol caliber cartridges.
Thanks for the research, CJS3....I had read about the 336 being chambered briefly in .44 too - makes sense why they discontinued it.

My interest in the .357/.38 lever guns stems from my getting into reading some old books again lately - about various "survival" events. One period time frame is the late 50's/early 60's and our Cold War prepping; I had some students reading "Alas, Babylon" which is a 1959 "what-if" story of surviving a Russian/NATO nuclear exchange. Also was reading "Hatchet" with my students, about a young teenage boy surviving in the great north of Canada.

For interests of accuracy, I suppose, I had been wondering if modern .357 lever guns pre-dated 1965 - seems like probably no earlier than 1969, based on the Marlin info you sent here.

I realize that folks have had .38-40 and .44-40 lever/revolver combos for years - but that's another story!

thanks guys
Adam

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I bought mine in 84 and she shoots like a dream has a 18 inch barrel shoots both 38 spl and 357 extremely accurately . The Winchester was the same price. A guy I worked with said if he was me he would buy a Marlin. Paid $387.00 for it and at the time it cost as much as a Colt 223.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts