Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the grips that are on it. They're comfortable, but I don't really like the look of rubber grips. I'd like to find wood. I'd like finger grooves, but without a thumbrest. I want a set that I can shoot with either hand. I shoot with both and anything set up for right handed shooters messes me up when I shoot lefty. I'd like to find something like the ones in the picture. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,479 Posts
Bountyhunter, I know exactly what you mean. When I transitioned from S&W revolvers with nice wood grips to my first GP-100, I was sadly disappointed in the looks of rubber too. It wasn't until I attended a tactical weapons class where my instructor (former Navy Seal) gave me some sound advice .... With grips, "looks don't kill".

We all like our guns to be pretty but function is way more important to me. I bought a set of Pao Ferro Hogues like in Johngoboom's post. Snazzy lookers and appeared to fit my hand but my scores on the range were much better with the Ruger factory rubbers. Later I bought a set of the Hogue rubber finger groove grips and found they fit better than the wood grips but my range scores were still slightly better with the factory grips. Guess what grips I use on my GKGP-141?

Here's some food for thought about grips: Grips are the "interface" between the human body and a handgun. As such, they need to preform a couple not-so-simple tasks. The human hand isn't mechanically designed to hold a handgun so grips need to shaped where they make holding a gun easier. Grips must enable you to hold a gun steady while squeezing the trigger. After the trigger sear releases, there is a fraction of a second of locktime where the grips are the only thing that keep the muzzle from moving off target. That means the grips must fit the shooter as good as possible. The best way to determine how well grips fit you is to shoot some groups and compare scores with other grips tested the same way. If you can't see a difference ... go for the pretty ones.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Iowegan, that is some sound advice as always!

Deputy, I have never used the wood Hogue grips. I like the rubber ones for my P89, but those are the only ones I have tried. I don't know how well the grips grip...but they sure look pretty!

If you decide you just want to dress up the factory grips...41 Magnum has some PRETTY pannels for them.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once again Iowegan, you give me something to think about. The gun does shoot great with the stock grips. Maybe I'll shoot it a few more times and then see how I feel about changing them.

John I may just look into some panels from 41 Magnum. I love the 2 sets of grips I got off him.

Thanks guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts