Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize that the .480 Ruger was overshadowed, in the firearms community, by the 460 S&W and 500 Magnum. However, I feel the need to get more info on it.

I purchased a SRH Alaskan and am having a hard time finding many write ups on it, or much info out about it ... anywhere.

There are several Montana and Wyoming gunsmiths that extol the many virtues of the 480 Ruger, and consider it a "Goldy Locks" cartridge for backwoods and mountain hunting and predator defense. However, there has been very little mainstream info published about it.

Can some of you suggest some solid write-ups and/or afficiandos who love the cartridge?

·
Registered
275 Posts

Start here Sir, if my memory serves me right this channel mentions the .480 Ruger likr you mentioned as the Goldilocks caliber more power than the 44 magnum but less recoil vs the 454 Casull.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Max Prasac is a fan, he uses it sometimes on his show Big Iron on Amazon, and he has written several books on revolver hunting that has it in them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There are plenty of reviews and videos on the 480 Ruger cartridge in various firearms, both handguns and rifles. I’ve been shooting a Super Redhawk 9-1/2” version for many years and added a Super Blackhawk Bisley a couple years ago. I love the firearms and cartridge, but find myself debating going back to 44 magnum for my hunting sidearm. I prefer bigger bore than .429”, but the realistic answer is you are reliant on handloads. Now, travel via air and what happens if that “separate case” holding you ammo does arrive with you at the hunt site. Your easiest big game handgun cartridge to find is the 44mag. That said, I elected to keep my 480rugers and just ordered more cast bullets to prep for the coming deer season. I’ve found the Penn Bullet 420gr Thunderhead to be very accurate and effective. I picked up the Lee casting mold since bullets are harder to find than other calibers. Took a random path through the woods, but ultimately the 480 Ruger cartridge in Ruger firearms have been very impressive to me. Ammo and reloading component availability is the primary distractor for me on the 480 Ruger cartridge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts