Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a carbine chambered in 460 Rowland that I plan to use hog hunting and am thinking about purchasing a red dot optic for it. Red dot optic prices run the gamut of prices. I would like to spend less than $300 for one.

Looking forward to hearing some recommendations.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Vortex Strikefire II. My buddy has one and it works great.

You didn't say, but were you looking for non-magnified or magnified?

·
Registered
629 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Burris Fastfire III all the way. To get better ( better battery life at least), you'd have to step up to an Aimpoint Micro, and they are $600. I have a couple on Mini-30's, going to get another for my RIA 1911 in .22 TCM.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Leopold delta point.Turns on automatically when the gun moves turns off when gun is still.Three to five year battery life when put on your daily carry.Have two one going on five years the other going on three.Have never had to change battery's yet.Nice to not have to take time to turn on when seconds count.Nice to not have battery die because you forget to turn off.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
Ultradot. Lifetime guarantee. Less than $200. Indestructible.I have one that's been on everything from a Mini-30 to an M1A. It currently resides on a Colt AR. Highly recommend.

Ultradot USA Home

·
"The Real Deal"
8,041 Posts
Vortex Strikefire II. My buddy has one and it works great.

You didn't say, but were you looking for non-magnified or magnified?
+1, own 4, strike fire 1 and 2 versions, all great optics, lifetime warranty no questions asked, and cheaper in price($179) than the Fast Fire 3($248) aimpoint pro( $400 and up), or eotech ($400 and up), but great none the less. If your looking smaller, the fastfire is a great sight, also the primary arms RGB II, at ($89 to $170) . All of these are great optics, just depends on size, use, and price point.;)

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
+1, own 4, strike fire 1 and 2 versions, all great optics, lifetime warranty no questions asked, and cheaper in price($179) than the Fast Fire 3($248) aimpoint pro( $400 and up), or eotech ($400 and up), but great none the less. If your looking smaller, the fastfire is a great sight, also the primary arms RGB II, at ($89 to $170) . All of these are great optics, just depends on size, use, and price point.;)
I actually had purchased the Eotech but if I had been more budget minded, I would had gotten the StrikeFire...it is a really nice red dot for the cost of it. I did go with the Vortex 3x magnifier though :)

·
"The Real Deal"
8,041 Posts
I actually had purchased the Eotech but if I had been more budget minded, I would had gotten the StrikeFire...it is a really nice red dot for the cost of it. I did go with the Vortex 4x magnifier though :)
I don't own a magnifier for my setup's, but did install one on a friends smith mp10, with a strikefire 2 in front of it, and flip to the side mount. Nice little setup. I like the eotech, just not the price. I own 3 of the 512's, and 1 xps 2. They are capable of precise accuracy with its 1 moa dot, however the sight can be bulky, and a little heavy compared to other setups. I like the battery life of the aimpoint comp 3 I have, $450, but it can be expensive having to buy the extra ring and $80 worth of flip caps, and kill flash. The vortex already has the flips, and cantilever mount included, $32 extra for the kill flash, still close to $200 turn key. I also own a vortex viper 6x24x50 pst, ffp scope, and a friend runs a diamondback on one of his rifles, very clear glass, and sheds off the abuse of the 50bmg as nothing has been fired. I am a believer in vortex, and the lifetime warranties. Whats not to like....;)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It seems to me that a red dot optic that is enclosed in a tube would be more durable than one that has the shape of a flat screen TV. Everything is protected by the tube.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
It seems to me that a red dot optic that is enclosed in a tube would be more durable than one that has the shape of a flat screen TV. Everything is protected by the tube.
There's not really any difference. The front lens is still vulnerable on either model, and the emitter and adjustment are still enclosed within the frame in either model. No real difference for either one on durability, EXCEPT that tube types are larger and more apt to get hit.

The lighter weight of the microdot open red dots make them less susceptible to recoil damage though - they roll with the recoil better.

·
Registered
71 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I been looking at a number of recommended red dots and have just about decided to up my limit on cost. I'm leaning towards the Vortex Spitfire 3x.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Big fan of the strike fire!

·
"The Real Deal"
8,041 Posts
Big fan of the strike fire!
Yes they are great. I like the newer version with the rear mounted power switch better than the gen 1 with its side mounted power button. The side mounted can be easily turned on by laying the firearm on its side, unlike the gen 2. I like the bright red version for bright daylight shooting more so than the red/ green which is not as bright, but still a great sight. I am a believer in the strikefire, and vortex products. I am also a believer in the primary arms rgbII. It appears very similiar to the aimpoint t1, but only $89. Not as expensive but very effective, and worth the money.

I had not heard about the eotech and its problem of a 4moa shift, I have never witnessed that in my 4, they have always been dead on. Never an issue, and I still consider it a great sight, despite the claims.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts