Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to post this, but here goes. I'm looking around at the gun and pawn shops for a Ruger .357. I would really like a 3" GP or a half lug 4" GP. I have never owned a Vaquero and always liked the looks of one. And lastly a 4 5/8" stainless steel Blackhawk. Not sure what I will end up with just depends on what I find first on the used market locally.

Now, I have a new SP101 and it's not as clean/smooth as my older SP. The hammer and trigger look cheaper and look like cheaper metal. When did they change things? I'm reading about the QC issues and would like info on when they changed.

What should I look for? What should I avoid? I have heard the Vaqueros can have barrel cant that's not real noticeable until fired at the range.

Thanks for any help.

Phil

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suggest a use NM Blackhawk convertible...357/38spl and a 9mm cyl to boot!
I don't see these used much around here. The gun shows are a joke. Way overpriced. I just sold my Police Service Six.

If I found a convertible 4 5/8 inch I would sure try to deal on it. I wish I had grabbed one in 45Colt/45ACP back when I had a 1911. Now, I just do .38/.357 and 9mm...

thanks
Phil

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I really like my convertible BH. I bought it primarily for the 9 mm and the availability of cheap ammo. It's a lot of fun to shoot in any caliber.

I have a 5" GP100 and that is my favorite firearm. It is a perfect fit and balance for me, but any GP would be a good choice.

Next on my list is an SP101. The rentals I have shot have no issues that I can see. I just wish I could find a 3" SP101 at a rental counter to help me decide what I like most.

·
Registered
9,488 Posts
Not sure where to post this, but here goes. I'm looking around at the gun and pawn shops for a Ruger .357. I would really like a 3" GP or a half lug 4" GP. I have never owned a Vaquero and always liked the looks of one. And lastly a 4 5/8" stainless steel Blackhawk. Not sure what I will end up with just depends on what I find first on the used market locally.

Now, I have a new SP101 and it's not as clean/smooth as my older SP. The hammer and trigger look cheaper and look like cheaper metal. When did they change things? I'm reading about the QC issues and would like info on when they changed.

What should I look for? What should I avoid? I have heard the Vaqueros can have barrel cant that's not real noticeable until fired at the range.

Thanks for any help.

Phil

all that you can afford ... IMHO ...:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello guys,

I'm planning to buy a Ruger® Super Redhawk Alaskan® Double-Action Revolver Model 5301

If someone knows :

1) If it "kicks" too much or not?
2) If this revolver is strong enough to safely shoot the 454 casull?

Thank you very much in advance for your kind and precious help!

All the best.

Neal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where can I get info on when Ruger changed their GP/SP revolvers? The older ones are just cleaner. I'm not buying another new revolver.

Phil

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I much prefer the older Ruger revolvers over their newer ones there will be those here that will argue that one up. Just going from what I see posted on the new Ruger revolvers here on the forum about burrs and rough edges etc. I cannot say that my 2 SP101's are not with out a few issues such as sought cutter edges etc. But my main thoughts is fit and function but to throughly inspect a new revolver before you buy it!!! Not that the newer made guns aren't nice because they are but look them over before you buy!!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I much prefer the older Ruger revolvers over their newer ones there will be those here that will argue that one up. Just going from what I see posted on the new Ruger revolvers here on the forum about burrs and rough edges etc. I cannot say that my 2 SP101's are not with out a few issues such as sought cutter edges etc. But my main thoughts is fit and function but to throughly inspect a new revolver before you buy it!!! Not that the newer made guns aren't nice because they are but look them over before you buy!!!
I cant agree with that strongly enough , In these days of "can't crank em out fast enough" manufacturing we have seen the last couple of years, I flat out refuse to buy any new manufactured firearm sight unseen , such as off Gunbroker. And I love Gunbroker, and thats nothing against them. But newly made firearms are too iffy. You HAVE to be able to go over it with a fine tooth comb, or you're running the risk of disapointment. Like the old saying goes..... " Never get in a hurry, it'll only slow ya down"

Better off waitin for a good un.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts