Ruger Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
I do not own an AR-15, yet. But a good freind of mine as one made by Colt. Ive looked at several for purchase in the .223, and Im going to spend at least $1300 at what Im looking for. However, my buddy has told me that building one is much less expensive. He has informed that I need to start with a quality receiver, and go from there. As I learn about this, Ill chime in with pics. Hope you do the same.

· Registered
102 Posts
I like the Spikes tactical and Daniel defense LPKs, I bought one DPMS kit and thought the quality was not very good, the trigger and hammer were pretty soft. I have 5 of the Delaware Machinery lowers from RGuns, they seem to be of good quality. Midway puts the DPMS uppers on sale frequently and they seem to be good (Ihave a 20" heavy barrel and a 16" carbine upper from them) I also bought a RRA NM trigger group that I like. What you buy depends on what you want to do with the rifle.

· Registered
415 Posts
Look at JSE Surplus, DSG Arms, Surplus Ammo, and Aim Surplus. I am going to be extremely upset if you find a Bolt Carrier Group before I do - some parts are scarce right now.

You will want some specialized tools such as roll pin starters, wrenches and vice blocks. Tools alone can cost a couple of hundred bucks. Brownells, Midway USA, etc for those.

One of my local gun stores has some parts that are cheaper than buying on-line especially when you factor in shipping costs.

· Registered
102 Posts
I do not own an AR-15, yet. But a good freind of mine as one made by Colt. Ive looked at several for purchase in the .223, and Im going to spend at least $1300 at what Im looking for. However, my buddy has told me that building one is much less expensive. He has informed that I need to start with a quality receiver, and go from there. As I learn about this, Ill chime in with pics. Hope you do the same.
I am right across the river, I could probably loan you the tools you need when you are ready if you dont already have them.

· Registered
1,949 Posts
I just picked up two RGun lowers, one for my Son inlaw's xmas present and one for me. I"ve seen complete uppers and kits in shotgun news for decent prices. I've never built one so this thread comes at a great time.

· Registered
1,844 Posts
I have a custom upper on order from White Oak Armaments. Chrome 1:7 barrel, preban. It will go on a Armalite lower with a competition trigger group.

· Registered
94 Posts
If you are going to do a build from ground up you need to do your research.
Get what you like. Barrels in 1/7, 1/8, 1/9, twenty " or 16". I went with a 1/9 because I have a Saber Defense M-4 carbine 1/7 16/1/4 barrel. A good scope could be a major purchase.
You can build it with stuff you don't need & can't use or you can use the money for better quality parts.
I have a Colt lower, 20" Wilson Chrome Barrel with bayonet lug,, J.P. trigger & vortex flash suppressor..
41/2 x 14 Burris scope, Harris bi-pod..I changed the buffer.
You might want to look at the previous owned (Used) gun market.
These are hard times & you can find a deal out there. It just takes patience. Gun shows are a great place to look.
Stand by the area where individuals check in their firearms & wait, or, just search around. You want to get to the person before they give it away to a dealer.
Just my $.02
Our Pencil Barrel M-16's in Vietnam only had the Chrome Chamber. Buyer beware if buying a older Triangle hand guard AR-15.
Know what you want, first, Not later.

· Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts

· Registered
1,949 Posts
I wish I had read this before I found a good deal on those RGuns stripped lowers. The price was nice and I figuired what the hell but now I read all kinds of good and bad on these lowers. I figuired one for a Xmas present and the other for a cheap first build with a parts kit. Is there any way to tell if these are mil spec at least? Maybe a few messurements I can take before I sell it. The thing looks like it was machined well, no tool marks everything looks straight etc. I don't care about rummors, is this a good lower for a basic econo AR build? And how do you tell if its not, I guess if my parts don't fit, I'm gonna try a build anyway but a heads up is great. Thanks

· Registered
102 Posts
I wish I had read this before I found a good deal on those RGuns stripped lowers. The price was nice and I figuired what the hell but now I read all kinds of good and bad on these lowers. I figuired one for a Xmas present and the other for a cheap first build with a parts kit. Is there any way to tell if these are mil spec at least? Maybe a few messurements I can take before I sell it. The thing looks like it was machined well, no tool marks everything looks straight etc. I don't care about rummors, is this a good lower for a basic econo AR build? And how do you tell if its not, I guess if my parts don't fit, I'm gonna try a build anyway but a heads up is great. Thanks
I have three of the Delaware Machine lowers completed and two more that are still bare. Two went together with no problem whatsoever, one only required a little filing one the edge near the rear disassembly pin. They seem to be high quality forged aluminum and I doubt you will have any problem.

· Registered
48 Posts
Check out palmettostatearmory.com if you want to build it yourself from the ground up. If you want the best parts check out bravocompanyusa.com.

Start looking for the BCG now they are not easy to find.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.