Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy Ruger SR9, or a SR40 but the price scare me..under 500$! I wached a lot of youtube reviews, seem pretty nice gun but.. I have a doubt... I'm just not enough sure..

It's like too good to be true, at this price

Any thought? comments?

thanks guys

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have the 9e which is the same firearm inside minus a few outside cosmetic things, which I don't have a problem with, and the firearm performs extremely well.

·
Registered
377 Posts
If you have had a chance to 'play' with it and shoot one and it feels good.....buy it!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
The SR series are a darn good pistol. Get one and have some fun. ;)

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Ruger has proven over and over, a high price doesn't make a gun better, just more expensive.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I like my SR9 a lot. It feels well made and its a smooth shooter. I have had zero problems with mine. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

·
Registered
490 Posts
The SR series from Ruger is great. I have the SR40 full size pistol. It has a manual safety which I like. The trigger is lighter and better than my Glock 19. You won't go wrong with the SR9. You can find cheaper firearms out there, but the reliability of the Ruger may not be there. The SR's seem to shoot anything you put in the magazine. Some of the others don't. Any 9mm arm should function properly with any factory ammo. At least that is what I think.
My son is a LEO and carries a Glock. The first time he fired my SR40, he was impressed. He was amazed at the shootability and quality of the Ruger at about $150 less than a G22, in our area. Mine is two tone with the silver slide. I like blue slide better, but did not want to wait for one.
The only thing out there that compares well as to value and shoot-ability, IMHO, may be the Sig 2022 and many do not like it because it is DA/SA like the Ruger P-series.
Get the SR9. You will love it. Then you will want a SR9c or a SR40. :)

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I carry the 9c in summer and the 40c in winter. own the SR9, SR40, and SR45 as well. also have gifted three SR9's to family members. none has needed repair, every one will outshoot me. dollar for dollar the best buy in the industry. my Glocks, Kimbers, S&W's and XD's all spend lots of time in the safe, I shoot and carry Ruger. the other guns are fine weapons. love them all, just prefer the SR's. they have the best (for me) ergonomics of the lot. the 9c I shot today was flawless with three different loads, including powder and projectile. that little compact put every round to point of aim except the ones the shooter screwed up. I have often shot next to club members who want to know what pistol I am shooting, since mine will out shoot theirs. they are generally quite surprised to see they could have saved a couple hundred obamabucks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the SR9c and the SR40. Love them both. Very comfortable, accurate and reliable. Haven't had a sine FTF, FTE, or even a stove pipe. I've recommended this series to everyone and friends who had the XD's traded them in after shooting my SR's. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My first Idea was a Beretta or a Glock, but they are so expensive here in Canada, they're around 800$. So I began to see for an alternative, less expensive and great. I saw the Norico but they're made in Chinesse and they seem so crap... OMG NO!

The M&P9 would be a great choice though, around 600$ and good looking gun but at the same time I found the Ruger, another great gun company ''made in USA'' and I was like "wow nice looking gun, stainless slide, polymer, great"

So I began to watched a lot of youtube review, mp9 vs SR9, 9mm vs .40, Glock vs SR9 etc.

The SR9 here in Canada is around 500$, 300$ less than a Glock/Beretta and 150/200 less than a M9.

So I think I do the right choice to begin with a SR9 for my first gun.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I love my SR9c. It has taken 50% of my carry duties over my LC9s Pro. It is now looking like I will carry the LC9s Pro during the Summer and the SR9c for the rest of time.

Couple things I don't like about the SR9c... Safeties. For me, all the safeties are over kill.

The loaded chamber indicator doesn't bother me as much as it does others. It's not in the way of the sight picture so no big deal. But if given the choice, I would get rid of it.

The magazine disconnect is an annoyance but it is EASILY removed. I removed mine but I would prefer not to have needed to do that in the first place.

The thumb safety is what bothers me the most. Maybe "bothers" is the wrong term. I just don't care for it. I train for flipping off the safety whether my firearm has it or not but training doesn't always equate to 100% in high tension situations. If I ever am in a self defense situation, my adrenaline may be pumping so hard I don't feel or hear that the safety disengages (assuming that for what ever reason it was engaged in my holster in the first place), I go to fire and... I'm dead.

Of course, this is my opinion. Some people like/may need the thumb safety and there's nothing wrong with that.

Overall though, you get more bang for your buck (pun intended lol) with the SR series pistols when compared to other manufacturers equivalent firearms. And I don't mean just the firearms themselves, Ruger customer service is the BEST in the business. There are numerous reports of customers just doing dumb **** to their firearms that they shouldn't have done and Ruger takes care of them FREE OF CHARGE.

It doesn't get any better than that...

·
Registered
332 Posts
All I can do is to parrot the praises. I have carried and shot an SR9C for three years now and not one hiccup from it! Shoots straight. Feels great in the hand. Feels great shooting it [perceived recoil is minimal]. Looks good. Carries and conceals good. Price is right.

As soon as I post this I'll think of something good I should have said about the SR9C .... that's life. Of all the handguns I've ever owned [S&W's, Berretta, Browning, Walther] for cc & PD the SR9C is my absolute favorite.

BTW ... the little SR22 is by far and away the "funniest" little plinker I ever owned also! And, just so you know, I bought my first Ruger about four years ago after a life time of thinking Ruger was junk! Since then I've bought four more Rugers!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Back from the gunshop, really impressed by the Ruger, very nice.

what type of ammo would you suggest me? 115,124, 147 grain?

American Eagle, Blaze, Winchester?

·
Banned
650 Posts
The only problem I have with the Ruger SR series of pistols is the lack of accessories. The lack of accessories is what drove me away from the P95. The SR pistols shoot great and if you can deal with a kydex or generic holster the SR series are a great value. Other accessories such as night sights can be an issue. If you have vision problems that demand a certain sight system make sure you can find what you need before you buy the pistol.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Back from the gunshop, really impressed by the Ruger, very nice.

what type of ammo would you suggest me? 115,124, 147 grain?

American Eagle, Blaze, Winchester?
For target/practice ammo, I suggest the cheapest 115 Grain Brass ammo you can find. Steel is ok but 9mm brass is cheap enough to not damage your wallet. I have found the best price per round goes to TulAmmo Brass Maxx and Geco (made in Switzerland).

Self-defense ammo depends on your needs and what you are happy with. I carry with DRT 85 Grain Penetrating Frangible ammo as it has been tested to do what I am looking for in self-defense ammo.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts