Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about picking-up a nicely used MkII Standard, in 4.5", to keep as what I've always heard referred to as; a "Tackle Box" Gun
One I could just throw into a Toolbox, Backpack, Glove-Box etc, and not really worry about it getting banged around
It wouldn't have to be perfect, by any means
Just a clean, working "Shooter"
Something like the one seen below
Thoughts and/or what price range you'd give for one (new condition or 50th aside) ? (not throwing a 50th Anniversary Pistol into my Toolbox !)

·
Exchequer
4,641 Posts
OP, don't know if you're set on a 22 lr for your beater pistol. If caliber isn't an issue, you might consider an old Ruger P series. They're quite reliable and rock-solid, but prices on the used market have been ticking up with the recent shortages and supply and demand issues.

You might also look for a used H&R revolver. I think they are often overlooked because they stopped production so long ago. Nonetheless, H&R made some fine revolvers.

Finally, Armscor makes an inexpensive 38 sp revolver; the M200. MSRP is just under $300.

Regardless, I wish you well in your search. Let us know what you finally decide.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,108 Posts
They are called Kit Guns, and I'm a big fan of the style. I have several guns that probably qualify and yes they've been carried in fishing tackle boxes. HLG is correct, they don't have to be .22 caliber.. A 38 special or even single stack 9mm would work. The .38 gives you the option of one or more CCI shotshell snake loads in the cylinder.

The problem I see with a Ruger .22 pistol is if you find one "clean and working", it will not be a cheap pistol, no matter how used it is. And if you do find a cheap used Ruger pistol then there's probably a reason -- it's likely a lemon that won't function when you need it to. Same goes for a Bearcat. It's my favorite example of the Kit Gun style, but there's no such thing as a "good, cheap, used one."

Some possibilities >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Smith and Wesson released a competitor to the Ruger pistols called the S&W Victory, and I have seen them go cheap on the used market. Very likely because it's one of the most hideous looking firearms ever built. It's the Pontiac Aztec of guns, and that's saying a lot.

A Bersa Thunder in .380 or .22.

A low end Taurus .38 revolver. (This will be the only time you ever see me recommend a Taurus.)

A new Ruger Wrangler, still commonly available under $200.

Or just go with a new, "plastic" .22 pistol. They will be way lighter than lugging around a Ruger Mark pistol in your tackle box. You could go with a Ruger SR22 or even an LCP 22. There's also Walther's P22 (or PK380).

I think the best example of the plastic .22 out there right now is the S&W M&P .22 Compact. A great, reliable, lightweight plinker with excellent sights.

*** Disclaimer, the above post was written from the perspective of "normal" times when there wasn't a gun panic.

·
Super Moderator
21,475 Posts
I would look to get a Wrangler to serve that function if you don't have any beaters in the safe.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,825 Posts
After a conversation here, I decdied not to put any gun in the box, as it would be hard to retrieve. So instead it rides in a pocket holster in my fishing vest/PFD. I use my old .38, a Taurus 85.

For a while, I considered a Beretta Tomcat, but I wanted .38 +p and the Taurus is tried and true after 20+ years with me. I prefer a revolver but a small 9 semi would serve well, if you are worried about trouble at the boat landing.

I fish some lonely spots. I do not even carry a standard box when fishing from a kayak, on waters where no motors are allowed. That approach likewise reduces my chances of meeting trouble, trouble being shiftless and lazy in my experience.

·
Registered
522 Posts
hlg said:
You might also look for a used H&R revolver. I think they are often overlooked because they stopped production so long ago. Nonetheless, H&R made some fine revolvers.
I have a nice H&R revolver. It came with an extra cylinder for 22WMR. I really like that versatility. Currently, WMR ammo is much easier to find locally than LR/L/S ammo. A little more expensive, but you can't shoot what's not available.

Does anyone know if any Wrangler model has convertible capability? They're priced like the H&R's used to be.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the GREAT answers Guys
Was thinking / remembering my Grandfather's old MkI and it got me to thinking of one for myself
Since I have a MkII 678, a MkII Standard seemed to make perfect sense
Now that it's been brought-up; a nice little 9mm or 38sp COULD make for a better choice
Before I made the move to 10mm, I had a 9mm Star M-43 Firestar and a 275 Security Six .357, that rode around with me in my "Big-Trucks" for a time
Neither ever gave my a reason to doubt it
Kinda wish I hadn't traded either of them off now

Thanks again
I may be changing Gears here now

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
FeralCatK, I didn't know you were into Taurus handguns?? Just never saw you as a "fan". Of course these are unusual times indeed. lol

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
After a conversation here, I decdied not to put any gun in the box, as it would be hard to retrieve. So instead it rides in a pocket holster in my fishing vest/PFD. I use my old .38, a Taurus 85.

For a while, I considered a Beretta Tomcat, but I wanted .38 +p and the Taurus is tried and true after 20+ years with me. I prefer a revolver but a small 9 semi would serve well, not, if you are worried about trouble at the boat landing.

I fish some lonely spots. I do not even carry a standard box when fishing from a kayak, on waters where no motors are allowed. That approach likewise reduces my chances of meeting trouble, trouble being shiftless and lazy in my experience.
That answers my question of what these are used for. I'm not a fisherman so I simply don't know. Now it makes sense. I would consider that if motor vessels are prohibited in an area, that's exactly what Trouble would use to get to and away from you. Kinda like gun free zones, they only apply to law-abiding citizens.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,108 Posts
FeralCatK, I didn't know you were into Taurus handguns?? Just never saw you as a "fan". Of course these are unusual times indeed. lol
I’m not, but there is a time and place for a dirt cheap beater gun.

I’ve got a cousin that lives up on the US - Canada border, and does a lot of fishing up there. Of course the Canadian laws regarding handgun possession are a little bit different, so he swears by a cheap revolver when boating and camping in that area, because you don’t cry too much when you drop a Taurus over the side of your canoe. :D

Those are his statements, not mine.

But I understand the sentiment. The late, great Jeff Quinn of gunblast dot com said that revolvers “don’t spray evidence all over the place.“ LOL

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
If you're looking for affordable 22s, I bought a Kel Tec P17 a few months ago and can honestly say it is worth every penny I paid, and that was under $200 out the door. That little gun has not had a misfire in several hundred rounds, and is surprisingly accurate. 17 rounds, and very light weight and easy to rack. Very satisfied with that gun.
Also, a Heritage Rough Rider 22lr. I think I paid $175 for that one, and again, very surprised with it's function and accuracy for what I paid for it. Never a misfire, and surprisingly accurate.
Are they guns that will shoot 10,000 rounds? I don't know, but that's not what I'm looking for out of them. They seem to go bang when I pull the trigger, and are moa of bad guy, ground hog, or aggressive dog to 20 yards or so.

·
Premium Member
14,218 Posts
Glock 26 and a couple extra magazines work really well.

Reactions: FeralCatKillr

·
Banned
328 Posts
Whats wrong with taking Elsea Pea with you.

Reactions: FeralCatKillr

·
Registered
196 Posts
Come On Man.....

Tackle box gun means cheap beater.

Can't go wrong with a Phoenix Arms HP22A for a .22LR
Want something bigger? Get the Hi-Point C9.

Reactions: jstert

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,108 Posts
Hunter49, I forgot about KelTec guns. Good idea. The new P17s were going for less than $150 before the panic. Maybe in a year we’ll be back to that.

I heard they had major functioning problems at first but maybe they got the kinks worked out.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts