Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,828 Posts
"you don't cry too much when you drop a Taurus over the side of a canoe". too funny.
yep. I would weep if my other pocket gun, a Kimber K6S, went in the drink. The old Taurus has had 2k rounds through it with only one part replaced, the firing pin spring 2 years ago.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Hunter49, I forgot about KelTec guns. Good idea. The new P17s were going for less than $150 before the panic. Maybe in a year we’ll be back to that.

I heard they had major functioning problems at first but maybe they got the kinks worked out.
Yeah I saw a video of the first ones that came out and there was nothing but problems, but I believe that has been fixed. Mine has been flawless. Not the nicest looking gun, but it sure seems to work and is fun. Comes with 3 total mags too. Very surprised by that gun.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with the recommendations for the KelTec P-17. I have two Ruger Mark II's and a Mark IV 22/45. They are all sweet shooting guns for target/range. I wouldn't put any of them in a tackle box. The KelTec is really lightweight and synthetic exterior that doesn't have to be babied. It shoots amazingly accurate for a short barrel and very natural to handle. Small enough and light enough to store in your pocket. Most 22lr's are 10 rounds . . . 17 rounds is a great advantage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've always been interested in the concept, as I do a lot of fishing, albeit it saltwater, as well as kicking around the woods at my hunt club lease. So, without good reason, I've accumulated a fair amount of 'kit guns', woods beaters', 'econo-pistols', all with this as a reason. (I call this "inventing a niche", it helps with the disorder).

Have a great older S&W M63 .22 4" SS - it'll never see a tacklebox - have you seen what $$ these things go for? It's crazy.
Next up - a c.1970 H&R M999 'Sportsman', 6" (wish it was 4"). Break-open, 9 shot. adjustable sights. Of course, shoots S/L/LR/shotshells with no issues. An econo-gun of old of which there'll never be an affordable modern version of.
Also, an unintended mate to the H&R - an old Iver Johnson 'Sealed 8', .22, break open, 6" 8 shot. But sights are tiny.

In auto - I had an old Ruger MKII SS .22 grip frame/'lower'. Placed a Tactical Solutions 4" upper with threaded muzzle for suppressor. Fiber optic sights. The Tactical Solutions upper is mostly lightweight alloy - making the whole gun light and relatively impervious to bad weather. With the suppressor and subsonic ammo, a fun plinker if the mood strikes.

There's others, but then I start getting into centerfires, which for me are more 'woods guns' and will bore everyone.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Been thinking about picking-up a nicely used MkII Standard, in 4.5", to keep as what I've always heard referred to as; a "Tackle Box" Gun
One I could just throw into a Toolbox, Backpack, Glove-Box etc, and not really worry about it getting banged around
It wouldn't have to be perfect, by any means
Just a clean, working "Shooter"
Something like the one seen below
Thoughts and/or what price range you'd give for one (new condition or 50th aside) ? (not throwing a 50th Anniversary Pistol into my Toolbox !)

I'd get a used, inexpensive 22 caliber revolver. Something you wouldn't mind getting scratches on it. I wouldn't bring a rimfire semi auto to the woods. rimfire isn't reliable. With a revolver, you can use 22 shorts as well as 22 LR. If there's a failure to fire, just pull the trigger again. Unless you think you might run into a bear or a moose, in which case you'll probably want a 357 or 44 magnum. Unfortunately, even used ones aren't cheap.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm not sure how the CCI shot shells would feed in a semi-auto, so I chose an inexpensive (at the time) stainless S&W M64 .38 SPL "police turn-in" for a "tackle box gun," and one of those M3 WWII shoulder holsters to carry it around in.

Now that you mention using a .22 semi-auto for a tackle box gun, I will try out the CCI shot shells in my GSG 1911-style pistol and in my stainless 5.5" barrel MKII 22/45 to see how they work - "for snakes and sich."

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Heritage Rough Rider is now available in a 9-shot. $129+tax at my LGS... but that was before COVID, might me more now.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thank all
A lot of great ideas being batted about
Have my Eye on a couple prospects
Still not settled on any one as of yet

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,121 Posts
I’m going to throw one more thing out there and sort of play devil’s advocate against some of the thoughts I posted before.

Even though I’ve mentioned and “liked” some of the cheap, off-brand gun suggestions above, there’s something to be said for just paying a little extra for quality and using a good product. Scuffs and scratches be damned.

An little SP-101 or good single stack 9mm like a Walther PPS would be a fine gun. And they would be more comforting than a Taurus or SCCY when you run into some scum bag doper while fishing.

As I get older I’m starting to use my “nice” stuff regularly, whereas I used to leave it at home and take a cheap substitute. For example, I’ve got a fantastic Benchmade pocket knife with D2 steel that was probably $170 new and (since it was a limited run) is going for over $300 now on eBay. I’ve also got a $35 Kershaw to carry because my Benchmade was “too nice” for everyday use.

More and more I’m rejecting that kind of thinking. Someday when I die, what’s the point of my kids inheriting something nice that they never knew Dad had because he never used it? It just sat in a drawer gathering dust. That’s pretty lame.

If you can afford something nice to protect you when you’re fishing, then use something nice. That’s what it was made for. Slip it in a simple uncle mikes nylon pouch and that will protect it from most scrapes. If it gets dirty and gritty, tear it down and clean it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
A "good single stack 9mm like a Walther PPS would be a fine gun"
That's why I like the Star M-43
It's a tough little Pistol, and I would really care if it gets a scratch or two on it

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
OK .... so I've settle on this:
A P-85
Did my research, and they look to be a tough little Pistol
Not small by any means, but it'll fit the bill
I won't really care if it gets an extra scratch or two, it's a 9mm, AND, it's a Ruger !
Hope to see it this week !
Thanks again for all the feedback
This turned-out to be a great thread !

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,121 Posts
Yes a great thread, DenStinett.

Kit gun threads are usually fun. :) It's a great and valid concept, rooted in the idea that you don't have to walk around all the time, with an AR slung over your shoulder and a 1911 cocked and locked on your hip, as if the boogey man was going to jump out of every shadow. Many gentlemen have had "enough gun" for many, many decades by simply carrying a weapon in their tackle box, rucksack, glove box, or briefcase, and they're often mid-powered and elegant like a Smith .38 revolver, a Peacemaker .22, or a Walther PPK.

Good luck on your hunt for a good P-85.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Posted a review of my P85:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Congratulations on finding a solid pistol. Isn't this one of the guns people bought to prep for Y2K?

I know I'm too late for this thread but one of my favorites wasn't mentioned. NAA mini revolvers with either 22 lr or 22 mag cylinders. I carry a 1 5/8 inch barrel loaded with snake shot when mowing pasture fences, mice don't stand a chance. They're not for everyone.......but if you find a need for one kit gun there's always a chance you'll want another one. One for the tackle box, tool box, glove box, boat, mower, UTV, tractor, garage, shed etc. etc. etc.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Congratulations on finding a solid pistol. Isn't this one of the guns people bought to prep for Y2K?

I know I'm too late for this thread but one of my favorites wasn't mentioned. NAA mini revolvers with either 22 lr or 22 mag cylinders. I carry a 1 5/8 inch barrel loaded with snake shot when mowing pasture fences, mice don't stand a chance. They're not for everyone.......but if you find a need for one kit gun there's always a chance you'll want another one. One for the tackle box, tool box, glove box, boat, mower, UTV, tractor, garage, shed etc. etc. etc.
I need to handle one of their new top-break models. They are a bit bigger but it seems like a quicker load/unload makes up for that.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

Thank You .... It may have been the P89 by then .... no tellin'

These guys are just around the corner from us
And wouldn't you know it .... I have NEVER thought to go check them out !

Also .... I've thought about getting an old Rolling Block .22, to keep in the corner of the Shop
Load it with a CBcap or BBcap, just to pop a rodent, when needed
BUT .... have you seen what one of THOSE are going for today ? ! ? o_O

·
Registered
146 Posts
@eastman- I haven't tried the break top or the swing out cylinder models. Both have the advantage of faster and easier reloading. For my purpose, I usually don't need to reload quickly. The easier reloading would be nice. They also cost twice the price....always a trade off. I've put the larger rubber grips on all of mine. In hind sight it may have been worth buying the model with the grips to start with but then I wouldn't have as many!

@DenStinett- You have a good plan. I'm not up on what's available in that realm. I can imagine an old rolling block being ideal until you pay for it! I use either bird/snake shot or an air rifle where CBcaps would be useful.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts