Ruger Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
dlbind said:
@eastman- I haven't tried the break top or the swing out cylinder models. Both have the advantage of faster and easier reloading. For my purpose, I usually don't need to reload quickly. The easier reloading would be nice. They also cost twice the price....always a trade off.
The break top and swing out cylinder models are certainly faster and easier to load. But I found that for unloading, you need to make sure the muzzle is pointed at a quite high angle. If too shallow, the little extractor wheel can slip over the rim of 1 or 2 shells and actually drag the spent case back into the cylinder. Then there's nothing to help get them out except gravity and a bit of shaking. That can be pretty irritating.

I also like the versatility of swapping between LR and WMR cylinders that the break top and swing out cylinder models don't have. You're right about "always a trade off".

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
@eastman- I haven't tried the break top or the swing out cylinder models. Both have the advantage of faster and easier reloading. For my purpose, I usually don't need to reload quickly. The easier reloading would be nice. They also cost twice the price....always a trade off. I've put the larger rubber grips on all of mine. In hind sight it may have been worth buying the model with the grips to start with but then I wouldn't have as many!

@DenStinett- You have a good plan. I'm not up on what's available in that realm. I can imagine an old rolling block being ideal until you pay for it! I use either bird/snake shot or an air rifle where CBcaps would be useful.
I've shot one of the original style .22LR so I think a bit more to hold on to would be good. I'd think of it as a micro-Bearcat (CubKitten ?)

·
Registered
110 Posts
to me kit gun says simple, unobtrusive, handy, 22, revolver. if buying new a ruger wrangler is inexpensive, reliable.

if my potential threats were human or bigger than snakes or rats then a 2-3” 38sp or something larger if facing four legged apex predators.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
That's why I like the Star M-43
It's a tough little Pistol, and I would really care if it gets a scratch or two on it
Well, I went one (or should I say 2) better, I found a 1995 (Stavel) Firestar Plus, Star M243:

It came with two, 18Rd MecGar Mags, and I bought an OEM Star 13Rd Magazine for it too
49 + 1 Rounds of 9mm
Weighs in at 1.4 lbs empty and 2.2 lbs loaded with 19Rds of Federal 147gr HSHPs
The Trigger is a (stone) constant, smooth breaking 4.0 lbs
Reach is: 2.570" with a 0.120" Take-up
Overtravel is quite nice at just 0.040", with a 0.110" Reset and a 0.070 following Take-up

The M243 is real similar to the CZ 2075 RAMI B in most dimensions, but the M243 is almost 6 ozs lighter, and the RAMI carries one more Round in its stock HiCap Mag
And the Firestar Plus is only 0.6 ozs heavier (empty) than the Glock 26 and carries 3 more Rounds in its stock Mag

All in all, a very nice little Pistol

·
Registered
799 Posts
I'd go with heritage or wrangler for tackle box gun. If you want low cost. Maybe even an lcrx 22lr. It would to stand up to being bashed around and still look good and function well.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I appreciate the suggestions, but I think this little 9mm seems a great choice
13++ or 18+1, either way
It's a little beat-up, but it's a tough little Gun, with a great capacity

Attachments

41 - 46 of 46 Posts