Ruger Forum banner

Looking to modify my 10/22

4K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  HB-DLX 
#1 ·
Hey
I own a 10/22 with a synthetic stock and SS barrel. I want to add a wooden thumbhole stock and a SS heavy barrel. PLEASE give me suggestions on brands and setup. anything would be helpful.
Thanks

#2 ·
Well, there are hundreds of different choices you could make here. I suggest to go to midwayusa.com and check out what they have, as well as Cabelas, Boyds gunstocks, etc., etc. And not to promote another site, you might check out perfectunion.com and their 10/22 section. Some of those ole boys live and breath 10/22s.

#5 ·
I'll add my $.02 to the other good suggests.
I've done several builds and have had great results with Green Mountain Barrels and either http://www.revivalindustries.com/ or Boyds thumbhole stocks. Midway owns Fajen and Adams & Bennett barrels(made by GM) and often offers packages.
A couple of tips:
Flutes on a rimfire barrel are cosmetic and not functional. I like them...but they're for looks only. Barrels are available in 16.5, 18" and 20" with 18" mostly likely the most popular/available length.

There are several varieties of laminated thumbholes. Boyds has their Evolution, Blaster, Ross and Revival has their Tundra, Yukon.
Fajen calls there's the Silhouette, I believe.
Remember to include in your budget the ancillary "must have" goodies we all can't live without!

Here's one of mine which I bought unfinished. I finished the stock myself. It's a Revival Tundra with 18" SS Fluted GM....and most, if not all the bells and whistles!

Good luck,
SD

#7 ·
quote:Originally posted by *******

im leaning heavily toward a SS fluted green mountain barrel. is there a difference between the 18 and 20 inch models besides length? will a 20 inch give me improved accuracy and higher velocity? or is it not worth the extra weight?
thanks
Actually,the max velocity is supposed to be achieved with a 16.5"
There's been countless threads on this subject web wide. I believe the consensus is the 20" isn't more accurate than the 18" ..the eighteen is slightly faster than the 20" but the 16.5" is the fastest and doesn't compromise accuracy over the other two. Make sense?

I have all three and like my 16.5 on a channeless stock. It's the best of all worlds for me.

SD

#8 ·
There doesn't seem to be much difference between the Wallmart special with the 22" barrel, and the 18" carbine in either accuracy or velocity. Therefore I doubt there is much difference in the GM barrels. It seems that the GM barrels are the best bang for the buck at the moment.
I assume you are going for a benchy style shooter.
A Power Custom or Volquartsen hammer change will get you around a 2 1/2-3# trigger pull, but to go lighter you will have to replace the trigger group with a Kidd. Be prepared to pay big bucks for a Kidd trigger assembly. I think they are worth it if you are competing. Otherwise I would just replace the hammer. Mods on 10/22's can get real expensive, sorta like racing...how fast do you want to go=$$$.
Free floating the barrel helps and your replacement stock should come that way. Pillar bedding helps especially if you torque to the same pound setting consistently. Glass bedding should also be done to a benchy. Song Dawg's list of must have goodies is right on the money IMHO.

#9 ·
When I started looking into building my first Ultimate 10/22 I talked to a gunsmith/machinist that specialized in 10/22 modifications and he said the standard 10/22T barrel is highly under estimated. He said that the hammer forged barrel is much better than any after market barrel except maybe a Volquartsen. Here is mine built on a 10/22T.

#11 ·
Song Dawg, you answered the very question in three parts I was going to post a new topic on ! You guys are frickin awesome ! I bought a 10/22 action with a Green Mountain 18 inch barrel and Volquartsen internal upgrades. I bought it with no stock from a local dealer for $150.00 dollars, from my reading here I got a great deal? My question was how good are the Green Mountain barrels? Needless to say it shoots far beyond my expectations ! So the 16.5 is supposed to be the best all around for shootin? I will be ordering one as soon as I log off of here for my stainless ! The other question I have is, how do you like the Hogue over mold stock ? Or is it crap ? I really like all of your guns, but the colored wood is not my thing, I like the black rifle look ! Thanks in advance for all the advice !

#12 ·
quote:Originally posted by HB-DLX

Song Dawg, you answered the very question in three parts I was going to post a new topic on ! You guys are frickin awesome ! I bought a 10/22 action with a Green Mountain 18 inch barrel and Volquartsen internal upgrades. I bought it with no stock from a local dealer for $150.00 dollars, from my reading here I got a great deal? My question was how good are the Green Mountain barrels? Needless to say it shoots far beyond my expectations ! So the 16.5 is supposed to be the best all around for shootin? I will be ordering one as soon as I log off of here for my stainless ! The other question I have is, how do you like the Hogue over mold stock ? Or is it crap ? I really like all of your guns, but the colored wood is not my thing, I like the black rifle look ! Thanks in advance for all the advice !
Ok, here goes!:D

I'm not a fan of the Hogue overmolded stock....and yes I have at least one! They move too much and are heavier than I like. If you want accuracy I'd avoid them.
Also the 16.5" barrel you're considering won't look so good with a stock that's made for a 18" or 20" kind of look.

Here's what I propose:
You can find orig equip birch stocks for next to nothing.
Hog the channel out which is easily accomplished with this.....

Then paint it with one of the many black coatings available today.
When finished you'll have a wood stock which is sound and in the color and feel you want. Hit it with a little mild detergent and water when it gets dirty and your good to go!
I've done several of these with great results!

SD

#13 ·
Song, I notice the all wood stock on your rifle, is this a stock you would suggest ? What other stocks would you suggest for both bull and standard barrel. I am starting to like the custom wood stock like yours more and more. So, the factory stocks are more accurate modified than a lot of the after market stocks ? If so I have three or four of the old birch stocks from various projects and I'll just modify some of those. Thanks for the great information !

#14 ·
The bottom pictured stock is an old bircher which has the barrel band area removed at a 45 angle. Then, sanded, painted once the channel was hogged out with the 1/2" electrical sweep and course paper.
It's fun & easy and the results should be a solid stock to accomodate your 10.5" bull that has the look you like!

Let me know if ya get sideways!

SD

#15 ·
Song, thats pretty sweet ! I never tought of the 45 angle and then rounding it off ? I will have to try both styles. I really like the black one, did you coat it with duracoat or something else ? I have a bit of the black and the silver duracoat left from some other projects, I'll coat them with that or oil finish them. I kind of like the way that stained wood stock looks you did. Thanks for all the help, it is greatly appreciated !

#17 ·
HB-DLX,
Gee, ya don't let much grass grow under your feet! Wow! In by 9 out by 5!:D

Nice job! Yeah if you wanted you could make it black with lots of different products but heck it looks good as is!
I'd ask if you had any problems but you didn't have enough time to have any!:D

Very nice!

SD

#18 ·
Thanks ! No, no problems after following your advice and making that tool your showed. The only issue I had, was trying to get the deep dent marks out of the stock where it got dinged. I see what you mean about the after market stocks form certain manufacturers being flimsy and flexing. I have a buttler creek folder and when you push up on the trigger assembly it flexes up and down a considerable amount. I will be swapping that stock out. The only after market stock I really like is the one from Tapco, it is extremely solid and has an adjustable pull like the AR15

#20 ·
Thats great advice ! I didn't know that, I will be sure to try that when I finish the next one. I found a decent deal on a stainless bull with a beet up stock. So, looks like I found my next project. The pics of that stock really don't do it justice. It really turned out better than I expected. Also, do you put cleaning tags on your guns and cycle them every month ? Or am I just anal ? Will cleaning them every month hurt them ?

#21 ·
Cleaning Tags? What is a cleaning tag? Now if'n ya want to just have an excuse for fondling your firearms then yeah clean them every month, every week or just about any time you feel the need to caress them. I mean real men use Hoppes #9 for cologne.

#22 ·
A cleaning tag is a tag I attach listing the time and date I cleaned the fire arm last. So, The first one I cleaned at the start of the month gets cleaned on the first of the following month and the rest follow in the order they were cleaned. I think it is really just an excuse to fondle them like you said. :D

#23 ·
HB, No cleaning tags and yes you're anal![}:)]:D
Cleaning and storing firearms has much to do with where you live and where they're stored. The biggest threat being corrosion.
Suggestion:
Apply some Eezox or CorrosionX http://corrosionxproducts.com/cxforgunspage.htm to the metal including the bore and a light coat of Johnson's or equivalent paste wax on oil finished stocks. BTW, CorrosionX is known to provide free samples if contacted. Remember that spray furniture polish (Pledge)is mostly silicon spray and isn't particularly good for real wood or the oils with which it's finished.

SD

#25 ·
Yeah, I have tried it.
Eezox, Break Free and CorrosionX have repeatedly shown to be the best products available for corrosion protection in every test I've seen. http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

I've used miltec for lube as well as FP-10 but for lubing, cleaning and storing I stay with the previously mentioned products.
Like lots of gun related products personal preferences are always going to vary.

SD

#26 ·
I like the break free too. I use it or that B96 stuff to clean them before applying the Mil-Tec. I also use those safe moisture absorbers in each safe with the silica packets covered with carpeted wood along the entire bottom. I have a question you may have an answer for. I know every one says to stay away from the military corrosive ammo, but i got about 2200 rounds of the Bulgarian 5.45x39 for two of my AK's. They should be OK if I clean them after every time their fired ? Right ? The ammo shoots excellent and I got it for a hell of a price !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.