Ruger Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Always good to get Mr. Harrells opinion on carrying the same caliber pistol and carbine. You be the judge!:

·
Registered
153 Posts
My judgement is that while Mr. Harrel showed a variety of reasons to advocate for a carbine + pistol combo - most of the reasons were not particularly relevant in the context of small home defense (as opposed to a ranch) - particularly for budget minded purchasers/users.

I base my poo-pooing of the PCC for personal defense partly based on sources (including Paul Harrel) that suggest you are super unlikely to need many rounds at all in a defensive shooting.

If you accept the premise that you're highly unlikely to require even a full magazine of ammo in self defense - the relative utility of your weapons sharing magazines drops substantially. If you in all likelyhood won't even shoot enough to change mags, what benefit does marginally more convenient mag changes truly give you?

Mr. Harrell phrased it well in a comparison he made in a different video regarding capacity as it related to hunting. He compared the number of times having a 2nd shot was valuable (quite a few), and then a 3rd (less) - and then a 4th. And each round higher was substantially less useful on average than the one prior. by the time he came to 5 or 6 (memory fails me) he said he had benefited from that 6th round exactly zero times in his personal experience.

So when I measure the relative utility of having an extra magazine that also matches a pistol and then weigh that versus the other compromises I make by choosing a 9mm PCC over a different platform the calculus doesn't come out ahead in the PCC's favor.

The calculus is especially poor if you add in the fact I, personally, am probably much more likely to be wearing a bathrobe than a holster while at home. I'm unlikely to even have the ability to carry extra ammo or my pistol on my person - nor can I envision a scenario where I strap my PCC over my back while I move forward with a pistol.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
As a home defense weapon, the Ruger PC Carbine is short and handy enough that it won't be any more difficult to maneuver around your house than any shotgun and a lot easier than most. It, of course, won't be as handy as a handgun but will be easier to hit with in a stress situation.

I agree that huge magazine capacity is comforting but realistically unnecessary in almost any home defense scenario unless you are faced with a "Night of the Living Dead" invasion.

As to "long range capability" for home use, unless you live in an aircraft hanger or a converted K-Mart, any shot over 50' is almost a non-issue.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My reasons for going one caliber/one magazine system was budgetary and convenience.

Without a doubt, my handgun is my HD first choice. The PC Carbine fills the niche for a bug out weapon with a little more reach if I need it. I don’t live on the wide open plains or out in the sticks. I think a PCC will be just fine for my suburban and urban bug out needs.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts