Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just aquired a single six born in 1958. Noticed the rear sight is loose in the dovetail. What is the normal fix for this problem? Also, is it possible to change the fixed sight out with an adjustable sight?

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
You can try deforming the edge of the sight's dovetail or use a punch to raise some metal on the bottom of it. Others have used a tiny piece of an aluminum can to wedge under it to tighten it. Some loctite might work as well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have used aluminum foil.

The way it bunches up underneath and amount of friction has kept one sight in place going on 10 years now .. if I am remembering right.. might be 9.

But, I do not think there are any adjustable sights that will fit. There used to be a company that made one a long time ago can't remember the name, but I don't think anyone has bothered to do so after. The market for it would be a handful of people.

If I am thinking of the right sight, you could try advertising for one in the Want To Buy section.

Doc

PS: I suppose you could consider the loose sight adjustable. Especially if you use aluminum foil to fix it in place. Then you could take a hammer and something blunt and adjust windage.

·
Registered
711 Posts
loose rear sight

simple fix, a few "divots" with a sharp punch on the the bottom of the dovetail slot, and tap the sight back in, neatness counts.....you tap over or deform the top edges of the dovetail,makes a for a SLOPPY job........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts