Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have a new Vaquero .45 Colt Birds Head in 3.75 inch. Did remove reverse pall stop and added extra heavy duty base pin spring. Gun feels great and I will take it apart and check for burrs and maybe a little polishing of parts. But it is smooth out of the box. Thinking about conceal carry. I have been shooting Cowboy Action for12 years and can shoot with both hands as in gunfighter style. Did take a regional title a few years back. So out to back yard with timer. So drawing from appendix holster 3 -6 rounds reading I got 3.6, 3.7 and 3.9 seconds on each test at 10 feet using factory 230gr .45 Colt hollow points. All holes where within 3 inch groups to 1 inch left of center(point of aim). Things like this happen to me when I am in lock down over virus. So please give me your 2c worth. :eek::)

·
Super Moderator
4,062 Posts
Nothing wrong with that at all. I've always thought a single action revolver is as valid a EDC as any other handgun provided the user is skilled with it. IMO 6 rounds of 45 Colt JHP delivered center mass is better than someone spraying and praying with a hi-cap wonder nine.

If anyone reading this is unfamiliar with cowboy action shooting the OP is describing shooting completely one handed. Draw, cock, fire, wash, rinse, repeat all with only one hand. Strong side or weak side. Same thing. Being able to shoot 6 full power 230gr JHP on target at 10 feet under four seconds gunfighter style is getting it done.

Cue all the tactisexuals worrying about combat reloads, lasers, flashlights, etc. Despite all that Rambo nonsense you are not undergunned. In fact you're a formidable adversary.

If someone, like you, is proficient a single action revolver can be a great EDC. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Single Actions for urban concealed carry should probably only be done by those who are really proficient with one.

Sounds like the OP is one of those guys so I say CARRY ON!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Better to have something you are proficient with, comfortable with and familiar with than whatever someone else tells you you need.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I looked up the Tueller Drill....because I forgot the numbers.

I think the question would be how fast could someone close on you from your 10 feet? Am I thinking about that right?

If the Tueller Drill says someone can close on you from 7 yards (21 feet) in 1.5 seconds that would make 10 feet .75 seconds. You're at ~3.5 to 4 seconds. That sounds like a bad outcome to me. You should be considering something a "threat" at 40 - 50 feet and practicing at that distance. Am I way off here? It's quite possible, been a very long day so far but I find this interesting.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I looked up the Tueller Drill....because I forgot the numbers.

I think the question would be how fast could someone close on you from your 10 feet? Am I thinking about that right?

If the Tueller Drill says someone can close on you from 7 yards (21 feet) in 1.5 seconds that would make 10 feet .75 seconds. You're at ~3.5 to 4 seconds. That sounds like a bad outcome to me. You should be considering something a "threat" at 40 - 50 feet and practicing at that distance. Am I way off here? It's quite possible, been a very long day so far but I find this interesting.
My personal experience with testing around 2 dozen people with the Tueller Drill (21ft.), even when they know that one of the three or four people standing there was going to charge at them, is that only 2 of those "trained shooters" was able to react, draw and fire before being slashed or stabbed. Cat-like reflexes aside, most people would be out of luck.

Carry the SAA happily.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Nothing wrong with your thinking...some people "over think" CC into something that it isn't...

Go over and watch the videos on YouTube of what real civilian gunfights consist of. ACTIVE SELF PROTECTION has hundreds of videos over there and generally good solid commentary....

As to reoads...what you start with in the gun is what you are going to finish the fight with... One would think with the number of civilian self-defense shooting a year there are hundreds of instances of reloads where shots were fired after the reload or the good guy died because he ran out of ammo...try and find some....

Good choice of guns....Bob

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,364 Posts
In my experience, it's not the gun you use, it's how you use the gun you have. Personally, I feel more confident with a Colt Commander chambered in 45 ACP …. but that's because I trained with it extensively for 20 years.

When I attended the Quantico Academy, we had to qualify on two different targets. The first was a normal bullseye target with rings from 6 to 10 and a 10X in the center. The course of fire was 5 rounds per event, 3 different distances, 6 events for a total of 30 rounds. This was pretty easy for most agents …. even for those with minimal experience.

The second course of fire was tactical and used the standard Secret Service target, which is a likeness of John Dillinger shooting at you. Any hit inside the body counted. These targets were on turning target holders so you had to draw and shoot in minimal time. As I recall, at 25 yards you had 5 seconds to draw and shoot 2 rounds. At 15 yards, 4 seconds for 2 rounds from a draw, and at 7 yards, just 3 seconds for 2 shots from a draw. Guns were loaded with 5 rounds so the first and second two shot drill weren't so bad but the third set required shooting one round, doing a rapid reload then shooting a second round …. all in the same time period from a draw. A total of 50 rounds were fired and you needed 40 hits to qualify. This seems easy but believe me …. it's not. You have to learn to be fumble free and be able to maintain control. Not only did you need to train a lot for initial qualification, you had to practice often to maintain proficiency.

This same course of fire can be done with a DA revolver, a SA revolver, or a semiauto using a good holster. Most people couldn't come close to qualifying with any type of gun because they just aren't proficient enough. The concept was simple …. be faster and more accurate than the bad guy and you will likely go home unscathed. The person drawing a gun from a pants pocket would probably not live to tell about it.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,788 Posts
I'll second what others have said about using the gun you use best. For me it's my DAO Kimber.

Keep in mind, too, that an assailant may not always be coherent enough to "charge" you. You may also have plenty of warning. Situational awareness saved me in the one instance where I might have had a very bad outcome.

In my 20s, one night I got home really late. As soon as I got out of the car, on the next corner I saw three men, sitting on the curb. They charged me from about 100 feet away. I got out my house keys (being unarmed) and walked up the walk, without running. I was praying they figured I'd not seen them. I figured they'd sprint and get me if I panicked and ran.

I knew I had enough time as long as I had the right key out. I did. I got a solid oak door between me and them, threw the deadbolt, and called 9-1-1.

So I always check my surroundings. If in doubt, keep your distance without looking too spooked.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Guys carry SAs in the woods for bear defense all the time. If you’re proficient, and it sounds like you are, I wouldn’t worry at all about carrying a SA revolver. I’d much rather face an armed thug that probably can’t shoot as well as I can than a pissed-off bear that’s certainly bigger, stronger, faster, and meaner.

·
Premium Member
14,075 Posts
Great thing about CCW.........carry whatever you want! I would not carry my New Vaqueros as I am not to good with them yet.

·
Registered
586 Posts
The comments are very interesting. Of course anyone can carry whatever they want. That's the great thing about choices....and fortunately we have plenty of them.:cool:

I guess the ability to actually defend yourself with what is being carried should be a different thread.

Absolutely....to each their own.:)

Carry on.

·
Registered
68 Posts
At time's I carry my Ruger Blackhawk 44spl.
In a outside the waistband El Paso cowboy holster.
I can get away with it with my long Carhart winter jacket.
I prefer to carry a Colt lightweight commander in 45 acp.
Or I carry a old Sig P228 9mm.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Mr.Big it seems you have thought this through. Good for you, even better that you practice,practice,practice. Like others have said you got to be proficient with what you carry,and it appears to me you are. Stay safe in these trying times.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You were firing at 10 feet. Watch these men and watch the tracers...

https://archive.org/details/gov.dod.dimoc.20504
I cringe when I see the soldiers practicing a grip and having their fingers on the trigger. Two handed they show the off hand cradling the hand gun under the grip. Is that taught any more? I haven't shot in the prone position since I was a boy scout. Old now, if I tried, I'm not sure I could get up.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mr Big - I usually carry a double action revolver, but sometimes I go out with my Single Seven Birdshead in my belt. Different round, of course, but I like the gun, I shoot it well (although not as fast a you with yours) and I don't feel like I'm in any extra danger because it's a single action.

·
Registered
417 Posts
When I read threads about using a SA for CC...and the OP is bombarded by individuals declaring he is an idiot for not carrying the latest plastic wonder weapon with 17+ magazines...and having at least two back up magazines....my first thought...is these pros are video game experts.....as most know.....its the "indian...not the arrow".....I believe anyone proficient with a SA....is well armed!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts