Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a SR9c TALO edition and ordered 10 boxes of defense rounds 147g because my friend said they had less recoil than the 115, 124, or +p rounds because they have more powder than bullet so there is more muzzle energy than the 147g so it made sense to me but now ive read some forums that say the 147g have more muzzle flip how can that be Thanks new to ammo on how it works

·
Registered
630 Posts
Every brand loads every weight different. If we werent in such an ammo crunch right now, id say go buy 50 rds of each and shoot them and see which weight you like most. I reload mostly 124 gr and 147 gr, but i get to control just how much powder they get.

·
Registered
630 Posts
If you want a good semi soft recoiling sd round, i would go with critical defense from Hornady. Its made to be a lighter recoil. The way i look at it is, while it has less power, i can make 2 bleeding cavities in the time i could make 1 with my 40 or a +p rated ammo in a 9mm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. so does Muzzle Velocity fps and
Muzzle Energy ft. lbs mean anything in regards to recoil no matter what the weight of the bullet sorry trying to under stand 147g vs 124g and 115g or +p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was told the less weight the hotter the round that there would be more gun powder in the lighter loads to take up the space of the bullet so it would kick more sorry im not trying to be dumb trying to learn from all of you that are experienced thats why im on here Thanks for your valuable time

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I was told the less weight the hotter the round that there would be more gun powder in the lighter loads to take up the space of the bullet so it would kick more sorry im not trying to be dumb trying to learn from all of you that are experienced thats why im on here Thanks for your valuable time
I don't think that is correct information. Some of these reloaders can probably give you straighter advice. Meanwhile, welcome to the forum. This is a great place to learn about just such matters.

·
Registered
784 Posts
The heavier bullet will yield more recoil. It stays in the barrel longer. +P loads will also recoil more. Compare a 38 spl to a 357 magnum. IMHO. Yiogo

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you could figure out the muzzle energy of the rounds you are looking at that would tell you which has more recoil. This is a easy way to compare since energy is a factor or both bullet weight and FPS. I can make a lighter bullet have more recoil by loading it hotter and vice versa.
I would guess most self defense rounds by different mnfr and bullet weight are loaded for similar recoil for a particular caliber. The felt recoil will be negligible. You aren't going to experience recoil differences like between a 38 spl and 357 mag. loaded to max loads.
FWIW if you are reloading according to the Hornady reloading manual a 9mm 124 gr bullet carries more energy across the board than any other bullet weight if you compare all at there max load velocities.
Darrell

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Welcome from Colorado. I would shoot some of each and see how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
21,405 Posts
Here is a recoil calculator:

Recoil Calculator

As a general rule the heavier the bullet, assuming the same pressure the greater the recoil. Personally I am a heavy bullet fan, not because I am a recoil junkie but because I like penetration with the round whether it is for hunting or self defense.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Welcome from Texas and Happy New Year! I think that you will find the recoil with the SR9C to be quite manageable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for all the Help may God Bless you and all of the Ruger forum members and Family this New Year

1 - 14 of 14 Posts