Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have to say I love being part of the gun owner community. I went to my LGS the other day to look at scopes. I was looking at a $400.00 scope (cant afford it now but looking). The guy working there says "take it outside and look down the road so you can get a better idea". I declined because I wasn't serious about buying at the time. But I asked do you usually let people take stuff out side. He said "sure never had one walk away yet".

Now tell me what other type of store would let you take out a $400 dollar item outside that you could easily just carry away?

Just my opinion but I find the gun owning community to be the following;

Tend to be more conservative even the liberal gun owners are conservative compared to the rest of the United States.
Seem to have strong family values.
More caring of their fellow man
Care more for their community
Care more for their country
Care more for the environment
Willing to teach youngsters growing up or any one new for that matter
More respectful of each other -unless talking about favorite caliber or gun...JK :D
More likely to find strangers talking to each other at a range or gun shop
I always seem to make a new friend at the range.

Sorry if I got to sappy just wanted to express my appreciation for the gun community. I wish the rest of the world was like this.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I'm with you all the way. Sure, we have some bad apples, just like any other group, but not many. Never quite feel as at home when I'm with other shooters.

While we're on the subject, let me tell any other gals out there that want to shoot, but that might be intimidated by the guy thing: the guys have almost been universally great and welcoming. They appreciate a gal that likes to hunt and shoot.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
My LGS lets me take certain items home on appro.
I have spent serious money there.
They know they have no problem.
There are obviously others that they extend the same courtesy to also.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I remember one years ago before all the paper work that we have now. They let me take used guns home and shoot them. Good way to tell if you liked one good enough to buy. That was back in the early 60's.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I remember one years ago before all the paper work that we have now. They let me take used guns home and shoot them. Good way to tell if you liked one good enough to buy. That was back in the early 60's.
I've never gotten to take them home but recently I bought a gun in Montana and we stepped outside and I got to shoot it before buying it.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I agree with Rivers2k gun community sentiments as I feel the same. I've found that wherever I go, whatever I do concerning guns & the shooting population I always seem to find myself in good company for the most part. People who share the same interest with the same interest.

It's kind of like a brotherhood, (OOPS! :eek: sisterhood too), just say personhood. :eek: Two strangers can meet and have very little to say to each other but if they both wind up being gun people and find that out about the other the conversation is on then. Just like old friends...

Our hobby, sport, livelihood, etc. is a wonderful fellowship and I'm happy and proud to be one among those in it. This vocation is very important to me.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
I just have to say I love being part of the gun owner community. I went to my LGS the other day to look at scopes. I was looking at a $400.00 scope (cant afford it now but looking). The guy working there says "take it outside and look down the road so you can get a better idea". I declined because I wasn't serious about buying at the time. But I asked do you usually let people take stuff out side. He said "sure never had one walk away yet".

Now tell me what other type of store would let you take out a $400 dollar item outside that you could easily just carry away?

Just my opinion but I find the gun owning community to be the following;

Tend to be more conservative even the liberal gun owners are conservative compared to the rest of the United States.
Seem to have strong family values.
More caring of their fellow man
Care more for their community
Care more for their country
Care more for the environment
Willing to teach youngsters growing up or any one new for that matter
More respectful of each other -unless talking about favorite caliber or gun...JK :D
More likely to find strangers talking to each other at a range or gun shop
I always seem to make a new friend at the range.

Sorry if I got to sappy just wanted to express my appreciation for the gun community. I wish the rest of the world was like this.
generally speaking, i'd agree, though i'd bet that i might be one of the most liberal people any of you all would ever meet. thing about 2nd amendment rights (at least if you grow up in a place like i did): it doesn't have to do much with liberal or conservative. in fact, it's a largely non-partisan issue. our family was one of the only ones in my neighborhood that didn't hunt when i was a kid, though we fished and skied. point is, everybody was into their outdoor pursuits and it had virtually nothing to do with politics back then. in my mind today, on the individual level, it still doesn't. i'm liberal. i own and love firearms. most of my liberal friends in montana do, too (not sure down here in vegas because we just haven't had those conversations yet). i think there are good people in most enthusiast pursuits, and as others have said a few bad apples. as long as we can keep the feeling of fellowship and brotherhood going, regardless of politics, i think we're all good. that's one of the reasons i posted a thread yesterday about the union sportsmens alliance. hadn't ever heard of them before, but they refer to themselves as a brotherhood of union members who are active in hunting, fishing, and shooting. probably a range of political ideologies within the ranks, but they share a common bond around those pursuits. that's how i like to think of my shooting enthusiasm and friends. we have that fellowship, and that creates trust, regardless of the other stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts