Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in California so dealers are not permitted to sell the SR9c unless you are an exempt class. It took me two years to be able to buy one from a private party in California and I am loving it. It is so accurate and comfortable. It shoots like a big pistol. Fantastic trigger. It took patience and diligence to get one and I am so glad I finally scored an SR9c.

·
Life is good
4,866 Posts
Congratulations on your SR9C!

·
Registered
761 Posts
It's a great pistol for sure. I nabbed mine right before it went off the list, and an SR45. I'm feeling pressed to score an LCR in .327 before they're off the list too. Very hard to find one though. Enjoy the SR9c. Comfortable to shoot for a compact. Eats all kinds of factory loads too.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I am in California so dealers are not permitted to sell the SR9c unless you are an exempt class. It took me two years to be able to buy one from a private party in California and I am loving it. It is so accurate and comfortable. It shoots like a big pistol. Fantastic trigger. It took patience and diligence to get one and I am so glad I finally scored an SR9c.
Glad to hear you're enjoying your SR9c. Love mine. One question though. Why did California take the SR9c off the list? I thought it met all of their requirements since it has an LCI and magazine disconnect.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You are correct in that the SR9c did meet California requirements when it was on the roster. However, in May 2013, the state Attorney General added "microstamping" to the list of requirements for a semiautomatic handgun to be added to the "Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale" in California. Since microstamping technology is unreliable and, practically speaking, unavailable, no gun manufacturer produces guns with that feature. Therefore, since May 17, 2013, no new semiautomatic gun could be added to the roster. Guns that were already on the roster could remain available indefinitely as long as the manufacturer paid the annual renewal fee. In January 2014, both Ruger and Smith & Wesson decided to stop renewing their semiautomatics on the roster and to let their certifications expire. Certification for the SR9c expired in March 2014. The companies cited microstamping as the reason. The net effect is that Californians, unless in an exempt class, do not have access to the newest models of semiautomatics from any manufacturer. What is available are the older models and will be available only as long as the manufacturer chooses to continue production of those older and eventually obsolete models. As an example, although commonly available throughout the U.S., Gen 4 Glocks cannot be sold in California. The only Ruger left on the roster is the LC380. S&W has the Shield, SD40VE, SD9VE, and the 22A. Be grateful you do not live in California.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You are correct in that the SR9c did meet California requirements when it was on the roster. However, in May 2013, the state Attorney General added "microstamping" to the list of requirements for a semiautomatic handgun to be added to the "Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale" in California. Since microstamping technology is unreliable and, practically speaking, unavailable, no gun manufacturer produces guns with that feature. Therefore, since May 17, 2013, no new semiautomatic gun could be added to the roster. Guns that were already on the roster could remain available indefinitely as long as the manufacturer paid the annual renewal fee. In January 2014, both Ruger and Smith & Wesson decided to stop renewing their semiautomatics on the roster and to let their certifications expire. Certification for the SR9c expired in March 2014. The companies cited microstamping as the reason. The net effect is that Californians, unless in an exempt class, do not have access to the newest models of semiautomatics from any manufacturer. What is available are the older models and will be available only as long as the manufacturer chooses to continue production of those older and eventually obsolete models. As an example, although commonly available throughout the U.S., Gen 4 Glocks cannot be sold in California. The only Ruger left on the roster is the LC380. S&W has the Shield, SD40VE, SD9VE, and the 22A. Be grateful you do not live in California.
I am very grateful I don't live there.
My late father lived there and was anti-gun ... until the L.A. riots hit. Then he was appalled at having to wait 10 days, etc.
Before he died, he bought a S&W 9mm and joined the NRA.
California is barely even part of America anymore.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Love my SR9c. I bought LC9s and a Shield as my carry gun, but honestly the 9c carries just as well. Better in some ways. nd it shoots so much better that either of the other 2. I carry it the most nowadays. Only thing I've done is take out the mag disconnect and added TFX sights.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Gaucho, I'm with you on the SR9c being a much better shooter than the LC9s. I have both and truly love shooting the SR9c. I'm more accurate, faster and comfortable. Unfortunately, I almost always am forced to carry my LC9s - not that I don't like it. It's lighter, thinner, conceals much better. I don't shoot it as well and that bothers me. Unfortunately due to some local municipalities having crazy magazine limits, it's the only practical carry for me. I wonder if the "so well intended" local governments unsterstand what they're doing with their goofy limitations? Rhetorical question.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Congratulations on your new acquisition. Glad to hear how happy you are with it.

Unbelievable gun laws in California. Thanks for sharing that with those of us still living in unoccupied America.

Can't wait to see what crap like this Hillary has planned for us.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Love my SR9c. I bought LC9s and a Shield as my carry gun, but honestly the 9c carries just as well. Better in some ways. nd it shoots so much better that either of the other 2. I carry it the most nowadays. Only thing I've done is take out the mag disconnect and added TFX sights.
How do you like the TFX sights.

·
Registered
17 Posts
.............. Be grateful you do not live in California.
Islandguy.. I know this thread is on the SR9c. I have one and love it.

Hope you don't mind the digression.
Was reading about the California issues.. Beautiful state but What a pain..

I go do to CA on occasion. It's work related but I also have a bunch of free time.
From what I've read under the federal Firearm Owners Protection Act, it's ok for non-residents to bring legal weapons in state.
It also states the traveler must legally own the weapon under federal law and the laws of his home state, as well as the state of destination.

Reading this post got me wondering.
Can I bring my SR9c in? How about an AR15?
Leave all mag's larger that 10 rounds at home?

I realize no conceal, nothing loaded, pistols in locked box or locked in inaccessible trunk, rifles & shotguns in trunk, etc..

With all the different competitions out of towners come in for, I assume it's legal. Just want to make sure I'm covered next time in.
Is there a good website I can go to and school myself?

Thanks, Ken

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have my SR9c for 3 years. It fits my hand, has a great trigger, has been 100% reliable and has superb accuracy. I have looked at M&P and XD compacts as well as Glock and wouldn't trade the Ruger for any of them.

·
Registered
782 Posts
My brother has had an SR9C for years and really likes the pistol. Your post made me happy I live in Ohio.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Island guy.. Thanks. Tried to PM you back but learned my post cost is less than 15.... No PM's til then.

Before typing up the message I sent earlier in this thread, I googled searched and found "Bringing guns into CA on vacation". Someone responded about the calguns.net site. Tried that last night but either the link wasn't working or the site was down.

Looks like it's working fine today.

Should have all the info I need there.

Thanks, Ken

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks CMD.. I'll count this as one more.
Already did that on the intro page.
Really trying not to be too obnoxious with this post count thing.

Rergards, Ken

So go to the New Members forum, say high to three new Members, and your there!:cool:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I love my SR9c - it shoots so easily and accurately - I know this may sound silly - but it so naturally becomes an extension of my hand. My EDC is an LC9S, which only bests the SR9c in one area - compact size. It's a great little pistol but it's the SR9C I enjoy shooting.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts