Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since our beloved or hated Wrangler out now in the Birdshead, what are the chances of Ruger working up a Bisley verion? I think good chance. For the haters, yes we have the SS6, & Bearcat in a few different versions.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The main cool factor is the 3.75 in barrels on the birdheads, can easy make by own bisley if Ruger wont. They seem to have had success 3.75 bisleys with Super Blackhawks,Convertible Blackhawks-all-long sold out, and other 3.75 New Vaqueros and Blackhawks,
and an announced but never yet to appear Single7 #8168 Lipseys is doing

·
Registered
708 Posts
I neither love nor hate the Wrangler, but I despised the loading gate :) I let mine go on down the road pretty quickly when everyone still wanted one so I broke even on it. The Birdshead is tempting though, it’s kinda cute, but I have to wonder if they fixed that loading gate.

Reactions: MadViking

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,489 Posts
Wranglers the same guts as any other Ruger SA, take apart and replace what you dont like
Except the Bearcat which works the way a single action should. :) The Bearcat loads on half-cock, and the loading gate is exactly what it should be…. just a loading gate.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,489 Posts
That is not a fair comparison, Bearcats are like finely crafteted jewels, NO comparing to SS6 or Wranglers
I know. I just wish Ruger would go with the same half cock loading on all their Single Sixes and Vaqueros and Blackhawks. That’s always steered me away from them.

Yes I know you can have them converted.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Not a "hater" at all. But I would not buy a bisley-grip Wrangler. The wrangler is a cheap design intended to compete with, and overtake the Heritage guns.

Ruger made some fine revolvers (Single Six, Bisley, etc.) The Wrangler objectively is not a fine revolver. It's a dumbed down "just good enough" design for low-value sales.

Ruger must bring back their best efforts and their best designs.

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Hate is a pretty strong word. Dislike is probably a better word. Putting a Bisley grip on a Wrangler is like trying to make a sports car out of Yugo. Another expression that comes to mind is 'putting lipstick on a pig'. Just doesn't work. It would also double the price and that would go well with Wrangler buyers. I'd say chances are real low ... but then who knows.... Hey, one can always buy a Bisley BH and remove the grip frame and put on a Wrangler ;) .

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
'putting lipstick on a pig'.
Not a hater here either but not interested in the Wrangler. Ruger makes it to compete, successfully, in the low cost revolver market. It's affordable. I read all the posts wanting different barrel lengths, grip frames and finishes, adjustable sights and WMR cylinders. Add all those features/variations to the Wrangler, low cost goes away and Ruger's gonna say "Let me show you this Single Six".

·
Registered
304 Posts
Not a hater here either but not interested in the Wrangler. Ruger makes it to compete, successfully, in the low cost revolver market. It's affordable. I read all the posts wanting different barrel lengths, grip frames and finishes, adjustable sights and WMR cylinders. Add all those features/variations to the Wrangler, low cost goes away and Ruger's gonna say "Let me show you this Single Six".
This 100%. I like and appreciate the wrangler for what it is - a budget friendly SA plinker, not a finely tuned and refined higher end option.

·
Registered
223 Posts
It’s all about market share and space on the shelf. The more products that you can put out there the more you’ll sell. Ever notice all the different sized boxes of kelloggs corn flakes in the cereal aisle? Same corn flakes but a lot of shelf space. Academy in New Bern NC had a bunch of wranglers for 199.00 yesterday. Not interested as I have a ss .22 Vaquero. They had a wide variety of ammo and some reloading brass too.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Love the Wrangler ... As Is !
Don't care for a bird's head grip or Bisley grip or longer barrel or shorter barrel or different colors for that matter ...
Black suits me just fine . I do wish Ruger had a nice set of real wood grips with the nice Ruger medallion in real (not laminated) honest to Goodness wood ... I can't stand laminated wood ...it looks Wonky !
Gary

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Sort of expected the responses, Wranglers are sow's ears, but still fun. Hard to argue the success of Wranglers, 15 versions on Ruger web site, 2030 Talo not shown makes 16 varieties

·
Registered
739 Posts
Bisley ? On a Wrangler?
I think Y'all Are kinda losing function to ascetics here.
The primary advantage with a Bisley on a single action is felt recoil reduction. Does a Wangler need that?
Personally, to me, a Bisley grip on a single six sized frame comes out lookin like a Zika baby . I have a couple on 32mag/327s and they do look like a pretty gal with a BIG ole butt and add nothing to the shootability.
Then there is how they would make it. If following the standard Wrangler practice and did it in Zink it would then be big AND heavy.
If they did it in aluminum, it might be a cool part fitting for a lightweight knock around gun. But they don't even do that for the centerfires.
What are they making the Wrangler birdshead outta?
If I want a cheap car to drive around in that's fine and makes sense.
But I'm not gonna collect a bunch of cheap cars cuz they come in different colors and adding tailfins ain't gonna do it either.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts