Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to start a holster this time, but its not for the redhawk. I wanted to ease back into leatherwork since it has been a few years since Ive messed with leather at all. So, my 3" s&w696 gets a new home first.

Good tight grain Herman Oak leather and some elephant trim. Ill probably dye it black and the elephant I will leave as it. Its supposed to be grey butbit actually looks more blue-ish to my eye but on a scrap that I soaked with resolene (an acrylic finish) it turnes a much darker grey/blue which should look ok. If not Ill dye it all black. Im thinking white bonded thread.
For the attachment to the belt its just going to have a tunnel on the back but Ive made it as wide as I can so it hopefully supports the little 44 well enough.

Here are some of the beginnings. Its as far as Ive made so far.

Brown Grey Wood Beige Tints and shades

Grey Wood Font Sleeve Electric blue

Hand Finger Electric blue Thumb Composite material

Obviously not perfection and I have work yet to do, my stitch grooves are perfect, Ive got out of sequence, elephant trim isnt straight and I forgot to burnish the edges of it before gluing it down and a few other things but black hides alot on leather. Thats why Im just calling this a test run/ warm-up holster.

Will update as I progress but my next step is to glue and stitch the belt tunnel on then Ill stitch the elephant trim, then glue the edges together and transfer the stitch holes through the back onto the front and cut the stitch groove, do the stitching using a saddle stitch (real saddle stitch by hand) then I think soak in warm water for a minute and wet mold and bone. Then comes the rounding and burnishing the edges and dye. Probably missed/skipped something but you get thr idea, maybe.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, thank ya fellas.👍 I have the wost time with that one aspect that makes it or nreaks it, the danged finish. Never was any good at the finish, on anything.

I always have a vision in my head of what my little projects will or should look like, they dont work out mostly.😉 I hope this one does. But, I do have more leather and some nice horsehide so Ill give 'er another go if this one goes south.

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
1,436 Posts
Looks frickin' great.
I believe the imperfections are more noticeable to you since you made it. ;)

Do you have a leather sewing machine? or did you stich that by hand?

and I agree, nothing smells like real leather.

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
1,436 Posts
I do all the stitching by hand, belts hurt!
Then your stitching is even more impressive. (y)
Impressive. You definately have skills.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Progress is slow on it, thats for sure. Got alot of stuff going on, too many actually. Need to prioritize some things.
Dealing with a brand new house isnt as easy as I expected or hoped.
Ill post updates as they happen tho.

·
Banned
27 Posts
Decided to start a holster this time, but its not for the redhawk. I wanted to ease back into leatherwork since it has been a few years since Ive messed with leather at all. So, my 3" s&w696 gets a new home first.

Good tight grain Herman Oak leather and some elephant trim. Ill probably dye it black and the elephant I will leave as it. Its supposed to be grey butbit actually looks more blue-ish to my eye but on a scrap that I soaked with resolene (an acrylic finish) it turnes a much darker grey/blue which should look ok. If not Ill dye it all black. Im thinking white bonded thread.
For the attachment to the belt its just going to have a tunnel on the back but Ive made it as wide as I can so it hopefully supports the little 44 well enough.

Here are some of the beginnings. Its as far as Ive made so far.

View attachment 171702

View attachment 171703

View attachment 171705

Obviously not perfection and I have work yet to do, my stitch grooves are perfect, Ive got out of sequence, elephant trim isnt straight and I forgot to burnish the edges of it before gluing it down and a few other things but black hides alot on leather. Thats why Im just calling this a test run/ warm-up holster.

Will update as I progress but my next step is to glue and stitch the belt tunnel on then Ill stitch the elephant trim, then glue the edges together and transfer the stitch holes through the back onto the front and cut the stitch groove, do the stitching using a saddle stitch (real saddle stitch by hand) then I think soak in warm water for a minute and wet mold and bone. Then comes the rounding and burnishing the edges and dye. Probably missed/skipped something but you get thr idea, maybe.
That's a great craftmanship work. Thanks for sharing

1 - 20 of 21 Posts