Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had made this post a couple of days ago but perhaps not...I can't seem to relocate it.

What are the lube points on the P95. I previously owned a SW9VE and the manual specifically pointed to only 4 places. My P95 manual doesn't address this and I sure don't want to have problems because of too much or too little.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok....perhaps I asked the wrong question..

Can anyone give me information on where I should "OIL" my new P95DC??

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I use hornady dry lube on everything on my p90 except the rails.
The rails get shooters choice gun grease.

·
Registered
842 Posts
quote:Originally posted by deputy125

I use hornady dry lube on everything on my p90 except the rails.
The rails get shooters choice gun grease.
+1 on Shooters Choice. I use their grease on the rails of all my autos. It just take a very small amount. Break Free or plain old 3&1 or similar oil for everything else. Again, sparingly. Far too many people over lube and the excess will attract dirt, grit and other debris. Never used Hornaday dry lube but may give it a try.
Baker

·
Registered
219 Posts
When I sent in my "Owner's Notifications" to Ruger last week, I also sent a letter because I called, was told a technician would call right back and never received a call. But I did get an email. I wanted to know what kinds of cleaning solvent I should use for the P95 and P345 that would not harm the polymer frames. I also asked what lube to use on the rails.
I was told in the email that any cleaner was OK but Gun Scrubber would turn the polymer white and that "a few drops of oil on the rails" would be sufficient.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx for that info Drummer. I used Gun Scrubber on my 25 RD 10/22 magazine and it turned some of it white. I believe it might have been that same solvent that "disolved" the screw holes on one of the grips of my MKII.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the info Blade. Is there a "search" box on this forum where a person can type in a subject and "Search" ?? Other forums that I go to have the capability. I can not find one here.....I know from other sites...long time members (me included) don't like to see things rehashed time and again.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
search is top right hand corner of the page above the log in. i will try also to find another link i remember about various lubes and post it a bit later---it might help some as well.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Deputy, I guess we should have some sticky posts navigating through most popular topics, like: gun springs, lube, holsters, accessories, and so on. Right now they are too much spread out in time and between forums that simple search may not help finding them all (e.g. I had to recall an exact phrase to get the second one).

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Found it! and this might make a good sticky.......
a purty good article about lubes from a gunsmith named cunningham. Goes into various types of oils, grease, and dry lubes.
here is the link and it seems to say a lot:
http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just read the Cunningham page in detail. Anybody ever try his mixture of 40/60 AFT and STP for gun grease?? I once ran an old Rambler car 160,000 miles with a more STP in the crankcase than oil.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Never tried it. But have heard of folks using ATF. Been quite happy with shooters choice grease.
Was a shocker that Rem oil was on the low end of things however. The graphite comments was also an eye opener.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
ATF is a good choice for cleaning a very dirty firearm. It doesn't seem to have much in the way of lube properties, at least for a gun. I use Mobile 1 5W/30 to lube my pistols, rifles & shotguns. I rarely use any kind of grease, as it tends to collect debris. I clean my guns after every range trip, & the synthetic oil stays on very well. Even after 500 or so rounds.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I use Hoppes gun lube on the trigger hinge..springs and barrel surface.

I use Hoppes grease for the rails.

on both my Ruger P97DC and P95DC firearms.

Hope that helps...but yeah..refer to the links BLADE included!

( thumbs up )

1 - 19 of 19 Posts