Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Mich. and with new laws of straight wall cartridges allowed I wanted a rifle barrel in 44 or 454 for my encore. Called my FFL guy and he says he just sold a excellent Ruger 44 Carbine on GB for about $600 this last week. But it planted the seed to find one. I googled gun shops in my area and came up with many shops. Three calls in, this shop says he has one on consignment and it's nice for $600. I told him I was interested and said I'd come in a couple days. So, today I called back to make sure it was still there. He said it was and said how nice these Sporter versions were. I quickly asked does it have the finger groove forend? He said it did and I told him I'd take it and would be there in an hour. I couldn't believe how nice it was with excellent wood and about 97% blue. For the heck of it i asked if the seller had any wiggle room, and he took $525 for it! Soon as my wife can load pic's of it I'll post them. Just thought how completely lucky this find was. I've never seen one other than in pic's but know they are highly coveted.

Thanks for letting me vent my excitement, Greg

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Fantastic!

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
well done!

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
You are lucky! I've never seen one in the flesh either. Congratulations!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Great find at an outstanding price. A friend of mine had a Ruger 44 carbine, and I forget how many whitetails he stacked up with it over the years. That despite the fact that the others in our group of deer hunters derided him about it and the caliber.
"What does your gun want to be when it grows up" and other things like that. Didn't bother him a bit, as he always bagged a buck when the others (me included) didn't. He was on reflection, a better hunter. But he sure knew that Ruger and what it could do.
If I ever stumble upon one I'll snag it for sure. Congrats on a good find!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I've had mine for quite a few years, and yes you did get an excellent deal on that little carbine. However I'm not sure what a finger grooved forearm is, Is that a factory addition or did someone do that as an after thought? looking forward to some pictures.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's the monte carlo stock version, totally factory. There were 3 versions of early (pre-1974) styles. The barrel band version, the monte carlo sporter and the mannlicher style.

Greg

·
Registered
917 Posts
Any luck with the pictures yet? You are lucky to find that rifle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts