Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my brand-new 1234 to the range with five different BX-1 10-round magazines, loaded with five different brands of ammo this afternoon. On all of them I was unable to have any round loaded into the chamber when releasing the bolt. It remained partially open with the round not going into the chamber, almost as though the feeding was too low. This happened with all the mags.
I'm going to to take it apart tomorrow but would appreciate any experience/input you can share. Maybe what to look at?
It had never been fired before. I did install a 1.25" cotton GI sling and QD swivels, as well as a cerakoted, Brimjob 2 trigger group, JWH Custom extended charging handle, and Kidd bolt buffer and magazine latch plunger. Also has a UTG 3-9x32 BugBuster AO on an NC Star rail that, like the sling and swivels, has absolutely nothing to do with this problem.
Really look forward to your help!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Took my brand-new 1234 to the range with five different BX-1 10-round magazines, loaded with five different brands of ammo this afternoon. On all of them I was unable to have any round loaded into the chamber when releasing the bolt. It remained partially open with the round not going into the chamber, almost as though the feeding was too low. This happened with all the mags.
I'm going to to take it apart tomorrow but would appreciate any experience/input you can share. Maybe what to look at?
It had never been fired before. I did install a 1.25" cotton GI sling and QD swivels, as well as a cerakoted, Brimjob 2 trigger group, JWH Custom extended charging handle, and Kidd bolt buffer and magazine latch plunger. Also has a UTG 3-9x32 BugBuster AO on an NC Star rail that, like the sling and swivels, has absolutely nothing to do with this problem.
Really look forward to your help!
It is only a Ruger now in name, why would they want to fix it? The mounting screws for the rail can hang the bolt half open or make it slow to close if the extend to the bolt. If the mag release plunger is not pressing firmly on the mag it can let the front drop. If the release lever assembly is installed wrong it can keep the plunger from extending. There can be other reasons but the first easy ones to check.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't asking for Ruger to fix. it I was hoping that someone on the forum could give me some ideas. Thank you for your suggestions. I removed the extended charger, the magazine latch plunger , and the rail, putting back the original ones except the rail. The same thing repeats. Below please find some pictures that might better help someone in helping me understand.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I would recommend that before modifying any firearm, that one should shoot it first to set a base line for accuracy, safety, and reliability.

As of now, there's no way to tell what's creating the problem.....

Good luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Can you chamber a round by hand with the mag out? It looks like in the last picture the bullet is too large for the barrel. With the stock out of the way you should be able to see if mag is fully seated. I don't have any clear mags so no idea about the fit of them. My barrel has a small chamfer to help guide the rounded nose of the bullet into the barrel, is yours closer to cut square?

The only thing I am sure of is mag has to lock in place front and rear and retention plunger hold it tight forward.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
You likely have thought of this but, try different ammo using the standard Ruger magazine. If no luck doing that, start replacing your aftermarket parts one at the time with O.E.M. parts until you resolve the issue. If the problem exists after all O.E.M. parts , pack it up and return to Ruger for repair or replacement. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can chamber a round of each of the 5 ammo brands I have by hand. I took the stock off and tried with each of the 5 Ruger mags empty and the bolt cycles and closes perfectly and with no hesitation. Also with the stock back on. All 5 factory mags fit flush and tight. When I load them the bolt pretty much stops in the same place. Most of the time the bullet tip is below the barrel entry chamber. The chamber is cut square with no groove. Almost like if the mag doesn't feed it, it won't go in as there is no chamfer. Also I have the original black mag that comes with the rifle and four Ruger supplied clear ones. Took the pictures with one of those to try to help see what's going on. I took all the aftermarket off, except the Brimstone Tier 2 trigger group (that I'm pretty certain has nothing to do with this problem) and it's the same with the now originally supplied parts in, just like with the aftermarket ones. At this point I've really become familiar with my rifle and will be calling Ruger tomorrow to see what can be done. You guys are the best!

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Keep us posted.

I have a 1235 LVT; it has been flawless, and very accurate.

·
Registered
120 Posts
From the pics it looks like the round head on the mag bolt fits into the alinement hole in the receiver. So not sure what the issue would be.

I believe the problem I have is the mag bolt doesn't fit into the alinement hole, which causes the mag to have a large gap right there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're absolutely right but That was the only one in over 60 attempts. The rest had the bullet just under the chamber entrance. I'll let you know what Ruger says tomorrow.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ruger rules! Sent me label and when FedEx gave problems, Ruger now sending me proper box to return it. Have to wait for it to come but I know it will be worth the wait!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Ruger rules! Sent me label and when FedEx gave problems, Ruger now sending me proper box to return it. Have to wait for it to come but I know it will be worth the wait!
Did you mention the Aftermarket trigger group to them when you spoke ??

I think I'd put the factory trigger group back in before shipping it back, but that's me

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They said they would ship it back outside the rifle. They'll probably charge me for a new one. Might as well tell them to put in a BX and use the 20% coupon if they let me. I should be receiving the box to ship it back in tomorrow or Friday.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yup UPS is picking mine up for the trip back to NH. Hopefully the third one is a charm. I kept my box this time. Last time I bought one from UPS store.

At least Ruger is easy to deal with, and stand behind their product.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Will do. Their box should be here tomorrow and I'll ship out right away. Will also call them again on Monday to be sure about my trigger group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Box arrived and called Ruger as suggested and this time they told me that they wouldn't return my trigger so went to eBay and bought new one to send back with the rifle after removing mine. Should be here on the 16th, I'll do the switch and hopefully ship it

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, they're keeping it as it can't be fixed and will build me a new 1234 and send to my FFL. Hope to get it soon.
Will test it well before installing brim job 2 cerakoted trigger I had previously ordered, drill studs to install G1 sling and install scope mount for UTG Bug. Then the custom charger handy and spring and off to my 3rd. Appleseed.
Stay tuned.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts